Page 1 of 3
LastLast

"Need Ret and GTG"

I started this thread on the wow bg forums, I thought I'd post it here too.

After being back into pvp for the last month or so (after a long break) and having oqueue for the last 2 weeks or so, It dawned on me that I have never seen a single group looking for a ret for any reason at all.

Has anyone else?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    The answer to your question is prevalent from the many PvP threads already open about PvP Ret and its downfalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplistic View Post
    I started this thread on the wow bg forums, I thought I'd post it here too.

After being back into pvp for the last month or so (after a long break) and having oqueue for the last 2 weeks or so, It dawned on me that I have never seen a single group looking for a ret for any reason at all.

Has anyone else?
    With the redesigning of talents in MoP, a few specs like Ret really got screwed, when ever they do a major revamp it always becomes pretty obvious which specs they really put much thought into. I really think they quite literally don't understand the spec and rarely try to look at the game through a Ret perspective, and make an effort for the spec to be satisfying or impressive in any tactical sense.

I rarely get the opportunity b/c it's very hard to find ppl looking to take rets.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valex View Post
    Learn to be a good target caller and you'll get taken no matter what spec.
    That's not true. Besides, just about every other plate dps makes a better target caller than we do. Also, you can't tell a RBG leader "i'm Ret, but I'm a good target caller!"

Following a Ret's lead is pointless other than once every 2-3 min when we have a cooldown up. The rest of the time our damage is just too negligible, even with a few lucky DP procs. We also don't have many offensive tools to make our target particularly vulnerable, deathgrip on the other hand moves an opponent way out of position and into very dangerous situations.
    Last edited by Tangra; 2013-01-28 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    Also, you can't tell a RBG leader "i'm Ret, but I'm a good target caller!"
    Why can't you? Is there some talent in the Ret spec that makes you physically incapable of typing that exact phrase? doesn't mean you would have any easier of a time getting in the group but you could still do it.

Well first off, you don't type in any kind of serious pvp.

And it's not worth having a ret call, because the first person to switch needs serious burst to start, with the other kids to follow up on it. Rets are better BOP'ing and lay on handsing people in the middle of a fight than target calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Zues View Post
    Well first off, you don't type in any kind of serious pvp.
    He's talking about asking for an invite.

OT: there are multiple reasons people don't invite rets, and why we aren't viable target callers. First of all, we don't have a Death Grip. Bringing the enemy to you is huge. Most TCs are frost DKs for this reason alone. We also have no slow(unless talented, but 30sec HoJ too good, or using SoJ and giving up huge damage) to keep the enemy close. Not to mention that rets are easy kill targets, and often are one of the first dps to die. We don't really have much going for us, especially in he way of TCing.

2400 player, 2300 on Ret and I will never be taken to an RBG over a frost DK or even an Arms warr because I can TC well.
    So sorry, that's not true.

Sadly there is currently NOTHING ret brings to a group that a holy paladin cant.

This is a very serious game design flaw that has pretty much never been addressed in wow history. Monks and DKs have taken anything that should have been given to us.

I imagine Enhance shamans are in the same boat as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vathius View Post
    Sadly there is currently NOTHING ret brings to a group that a holy paladin cant.

This is a very serious game design flaw that has pretty much never been addressed in wow history. Monks and DKs have taken anything that should have been given to us.

Nailed it, Each spec should have a unique ability to bring to a group/raid, Since holy has every ret's spell up there + being able to heal, As a ret Paladin no one will ever ask for you.

Now retardedcrawler didn't think of that, nor gives a shit about doing something about it now, he's too busy re-buffing his mage class.
    "In space, no one can hear you unless you scream!"

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    Why can't you? Is there some talent in the Ret spec that makes you physically incapable of typing that exact phrase? doesn't mean you would have any easier of a time getting in the group but you could still do it.
    What people above me said, added on to the fact that it sounds like begging for a spot a Ret paladin will never get. The target caller on any team worth their salt is a frost DK. Need controlled burst and the death grip, and DK burst is on a 1 min cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Vathius View Post

You would think Enhance would be a bit better since they can keep their target purged, but it doesn't seem to be enough, they still don't really get taken.

LFM 1 melee Dps for RBG ( pref warrior , Dk )
    me : Hey im Ret pala with full Malev
    Other : sorry already got a holy
    Me : u said u need melee
    Other : yes well .... sorry Full already found a warrior

No. Why would they when they can take a better spec that can do the same thing?

The problem is actually unprecedented before MoP: Ret's talent tree was made into the Paladin class tree, basically. They lost almost everything that made them unique and Blizzard made those options much more attractive for Holy.

World of Wargraphs

33 specs and out of them Retribution still has more representation than 23 other specs in RBGs. No matter how you paint it the sky isn't falling. Maybe they just aren't taking you.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are so many rets around that nobody needs to ask, because they probably already have one!

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    World of Wargraphs

33 specs and out of them Retribution still has more representation than 23 other specs in RBGs. No matter how you paint it the sky isn't falling. Maybe they just aren't taking you.
    I think you just answered your own statement with that link, completely contradicting yourself in process. Try reading both columns properly next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Neldarie View Post
    I think you just answered your own statement with that link, completely contradicting yourself in process. Try reading both columns properly next time.
    I didn't include sub +2200 because that's all that really matters, but if you want then fine Ret is 3rd in representation for all RBGs. Feel better now that your spec has even more representation than it did just moments earlier?