Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I remember people trash talking quite often in Quake 1. Hell, I used to see people on MUD's trash talking and guilds going to war over it, or someone getting ganked after trash talk, then madness would descend on the central cities, with high levels roving around killing each other and junking hard earned gear. No doubt Ultima Online players would note the same sort of thing.

I notice it more in competitive games more than any where else. You'll find that a vast majority of the best players of competitive games are very young and have a low tolerance for losing or such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    He's exactly right.

I get a lot of that in Starcraft 2 when I play the online matches against random people. It's "gg noob u lose" "lol another bronze leaguer gets owned, gg noob" or "UMAD BRO???" spam if you lose and "U FUCKIN CHEATED" or "[insert some unit you used during the match here] is fuckin OP, gg noob" when you win. Same thing in just about any other game. The funny thing is, they're not always 12-year-old kids. I wouldn't be surprised a bit to see married 30+ people with kids of their own who act like that. I just ignore it now.

It's easy to be a badass 6 foot 4 Olympic powerlifting martial arts expert with a supermodel girlfriend when you're anonymous and hiding behind a keyboard.
    most of the time if i get someone yelling obscenities like that in-game(not on a forum) i usually just start trolling them because that's about the level of a response they deserve and it almost always makes them madder. if your going to get that upset that your going to yell death threats(i've had and reported several in wow) and throw a tantrum in a game over something meaningless like losing a bg/lol match/etc im going to sit and point and laugh at you. the rudeness in online is also why i've just stopped playing mmos in general. i'd rather enjoy a nice single player game without being told to "go kill myself" or "you suck nubzors" or lrn2play etc every 30 seconds to couple minutes.

i don't mind friendly trash talk but most of the comments i get are along the lines of vile hateful and downright disturbing/psychotic.most of the time i'm usually minding my business doing what needs to be done and bam someone goes on rant about how our team fails at life,etc.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2013-01-28 at 04:41 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Athene pretty much hit it on the nail. It's sad but true. Played WoW for 7 years and the game was always riddled with immature HS kids. I'm just glad that every guild I was in was with people that were 18+

It's not just WoW though, kids play everything now, even games that are made for more mature audiences which just drives me up the wall when I hear a 12 year old kids voice screaming and crying on games like CoD -_- Stop ruining the fanbase on games that were intended for people my age to play you little shits!!!!

Reddit actually used to be a cool place to go to for news and such..... But then it all went to shit and just became a bigger version of 9GAG.

Anyway, I'm sure as fuck not "dumbing myself down" to act like people that are younger than me on the internet. I feel sad for anyone who does actually.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I was stationed in Germany (99-01) I played the original Rainbow 6 online with a bunch of people from the UK, best online experience to date.

They were a riot to play with!

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually watched the whole thing and it's the first Athene video I've watched all the way through in a very long time. I agree with what he's said but at the end of the day, there isn't much you can do as it is a flaw with the internet. It's easy to ignore trolls and flamers anyway so it's not a huge problem imo.

Some corners of the internet aren't immature. Stop hanging around immature demographics and you'll stop finding immature people. I wouldn't go into a kindergarten and wonder why no one wants to discuss politics.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always compare people's behaviour now to those of the stories of english WW2 soldiers I read. On one hand you have a brave and dignified man who sums up his horror of battle with an eloquent poem written with a stiff upper lip - and on the other you have a hoodie wearing thug looting poundland, or some corrosive idiot wishing cancer on people just because he gets a little frustrated.

This is not a matter of age whatsoever, our culture contains more self-entitlement and lack of regard for manners than it has for a very long time. We have progressed in many ways, but my god have we stepped back in others.
    "The truth, my goal."

What's with people being offended? Why does everything need to be censored and softened up for the sensitive people?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am more concerned that you consider anyone under 30 a child.

Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    I am more concerned that you consider anyone under 30 a child.
    In 50 years it'll probably be anyone under 40...
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Over a decade of people learning there are almost no consequences to their actions and a general lack of integrity and people show off the idiots they are.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Being "anonymous" encourages the immature behavior.

10+ Year Old Account
    People being immature and obnoxious to everyone has, and will, always be a problem when it comes to online communities. What I find troubling is how it has become a popular persona to have. People like Athene and Totalbiscuit got their fame for being real asshats to most people, and everyone and their dog will reply to a thread where someone is simply throwing out insults with "nice troll, people fell for it" like it's some kind of achievement.

I personally think it shows that, because this type of behaviour is actually popular and not shunned, the majority of people on the internet are assholes at their core.
    Last edited by Theodon; 2013-01-28 at 12:41 PM.

I do worry about kids that have been born in the last 15 to 20 years growing up with the internet and thinking that some of the stuff they see in games is ok behavior.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Ive seen his other ones and he is a hypocrite to be the one saying this. I honestly cant watch athene for more than 10-15 secs.

Op, check out globalunreal.com, they still play competitive ut. Still the best pvp game to date
    Nah. UT's never had anything on Q3 CPMA. It might be more fun, but it's not as good as competition.

OT, I wouldn't even expect most of these asshats to be children, more like manchildren. People that are raised by the internet (latchkey children or just plain neglected children) rather than by people tend to mature MUCH more slowly - that's not a 15 year old raging at you, it's a fucking 20 year old.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I see a lot of 18 year olds acting really immature, influenced by the internet culture. "UMAD BRO?" It's really strange to see them start acting like that in real life too. Everything around us is being adapted to this, people think it's cool to act like that. Commercials and TV etc. But they don't realize it's childish because on the internet we all have the idea that everyone else is the same age as yourself.

For a long time I just thought that I hated everyone because of how stupid and ignorant people are. But people are just victims to the idiotic internet culture, and they're trying to fit in. Look at PewDiePie on youtube. Heard of him? He has adapted to the largest audience on the internet. the kids. He has over 4 mill subs because of this. Most of them are children. Why are we not surprised to see an adult of his age act like he does, anymore? It's important to realize that this is mainly children's content, if not you may become a victim of trying to fit in. It's dumbing down the entire population.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galil ACE View Post
    If you want a hobby with a mature community, sorry, but fandoms/communities always manage new and exciting to disappoint you.
    I'm assuming you meant that most hobby communities find ways to surprise you as to how immature they can be, but that argument isn't what people are discussing. The Internet as a whole is what people are talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvok View Post
    I always compare people's behaviour now to those of the stories of english WW2 soldiers I read. On one hand you have a brave and dignified man who sums up his horror of battle with an eloquent poem written with a stiff upper lip - and on the other you have a hoodie wearing thug looting poundland, or some corrosive idiot wishing cancer on people just because he gets a little frustrated.

This is not a matter of age whatsoever, our culture contains more self-entitlement and lack of regard for manners than it has for a very long time. We have progressed in many ways, but my god have we stepped back in others.
    Have you ever actually talked to anyone in the army though? How about asking some grandad who has. I completely respect people who serve their countries but the most immature fun I've ever had has been with people in the army, some of which who have had to operate in other countries as well.

its not about having kids playing, its about them realizing that on the internet they are anonymous so they can act like retards without any consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I don't act that way...0o I don't even think i have used those types of words in my life :S

I have a strange dislike for the guy in that video and i have no idea why...he seems rather full of himself >.<
    I feel the same..., i don't know why... but seems so full of himself and make me mad >.>