Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    With that attitude, you'll almost be divorced before you got married - unless your wife was a golddigger, but who wants one of those ?
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    over dramatic. just because someones dad isnt an emotional being, does not mean that the child will be. kids need financial stability a whole lot more then they need an emotional dad. a large number of parents lack both and still raise a happy, perfectly balanced family. so why would his be worse?
    Because children need love. How will they learn to maintain functional relationships if they themselves never had one?

I'm colder than cold..... some people say I don't feel.........................

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    You can't have children with a dog -_-*
    you're doing it wrong then

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Then I guess my kids will be flawed because of certain areas I lack in. But it's not really a big deal because we are all flawed in some way anyways.
    It is a big deal because your children will not be able to control their emotions when they get pissed or sad or anything else people as a whole experience from time to time. If they don't have a father as a role model in their home, where do you think they will pick up examples on how to deal with situations that don't suit them well? TV? Friends? If you want to have horrendous kids due to you being emotionally unavailable based on being *forced* to marry someone for the sake of wanting to when you wouldn't even give a shit about them really, go for it. You don't even sound like the type of person that could commit to things that actually take effort and work. It takes 2 people to raise kids well, not just one. It's not a split effort, its a joined one.

I cry when i watch Peta videos. I need to unsub from their channel. But i could have a light snack while watching Vice videos about syria or the cannibal warlords.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    So your answer is "Kids are going to be flawed anyways, why even bother trying?"

Please, never have children.
    No, I am saying raise the best kids you can will the skill set you possess and be aware of the areas you lack in. I know if I raise my kids solely they will be emotional cripples. So that job will have to rest more on the person I marry. And that's just how the cookie is gonna crumble.

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    i am heartless, all about my goals, mean and find it hard to care. Id care more about my kitchen knives.
    Slytherin!!

Quote Originally Posted by SirPiken View Post
    Slytherin!!
    I lol'ed....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Death literally does not phase me. Even if it's friends or family. Now, I don't consider myself cold hearted for this. I don't see death as something inherently tragic. But a lot of people see me as a monster because of it.
    This, nothing special about other people dying. We know they will die so why are we expecting them to live longer than ourselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Fernii View Post
    Outside of the few people I care about, I am extremely cold hearted. I'm either indifferent to their plights or I find their suffering pretty hilarious.
    Pretty much this

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I am saying raise the best kids you can will the skill set you possess and be aware of the areas you lack in. I know if I raise my kids solely they will be emotional cripples. So that job will have to rest more on the person I marry. And that's just how the cookie is gonna crumble.
    That's not good enough.

Relatively apathetic beyond my girlfriend and her kid, really. I've never gotten along with my siblings, was glad to be rid of my parents, feel little but contempt toward people who are over-sentimental or publicly emotional to any great degree. Death doesn't phase me nor do very many, if any, inevitabilities in life. The suffering of others, be they 'third world' citizens or otherwise, I at best ignore.

I wouldn't call myself a sociopath, but i'd undoubtedly call myself the most cold-hearted person I know; something for which i'm somewhat happy about. Truth be told, I wouldn't lament if more were like me given how annoying people seem to be in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Don't get it. You feel you are, what, obligated to do all those things? That society forces you to marry, produce children and live in suburbs?

You don't have to do any of that if you don't feel you want it. If you still havent found "somebody special", don't rush yourself. If you don't feel like having children, don't have them. Live your life like you love it and maybe, in the future, something will change.

Forcing yourself to marry a person you don't love, to live a life you don't want, to raise some children you don't care about sounds pretty fucking sad.
    This person nailed it. Why bother to get married at all? If there's no passion, no love, then it is just a farce and pretty pointless. There's no need to have kids at all. Focus on your own life and do what you really want to do. If you are so apathetic about marriage or kids or whatever, then that's just a sign you don't want them enough.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Why would you marry with that attitude?
    Tax advantages and the advantages of having a dual income.

It may be surprising, but some actually do get married for convenience. I understand it... but I'll never agree to it.

I, myself, can never be cold-hearted. I actually find myself growing more and more warm these days. Hell, I don't even kill instects anymore in my house. I have strategic jars dotted around that should I see a bug - I just grab one of the plastic jars, capture them, go to the nearest window and let them out.

If people expect some divine galactic power to help them out in their time of need, how can those people not show the same mercy and compassion to those who are at comparatively the same level?

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    If people expect some divine galactic power to help them out in their time of need, how can those people not show the same mercy and compassion to those who are at comparatively the same level?
    I am not among that expectant bunch; namely due to karma not being a real phenomenon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I am both really. Emotionally unintelligent people can quickly write me off as cold hearted, but really I am very sensitive with an enormous capacity for empathy and compassion.
    I would say this

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I suppose I would be one of those stone cold fathers that only shows emotion once in a blue moon. However, my kid would never go without food, clothing, good school, etc.
    Quick pro-tip: Try to be good at "going through the motions", just so the squirt feels accomplished. Fathers are role models, and saying "Wow, that was really well done! Nice one!" to a 8yo boy can easily be something he remembers the rest of his life. The alternative is him believing you don't care until his late teens/early 20's, and building a father-son relationship at that point is too late for many.

OT: I wouldn't call it cold-hearted, but I am by nature the kind of guy described in the OP. Thankfully, I have a dad who is like that as well, so I've made extra effort to give my 10 years younger sister the "Good job!"'s and "Proud of you!"'s she needs. Only when deserved, mind. We no want no spoiled brat :P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Tax advantages and the advantages of having a dual income.

It may be surprising, but some actually do get married for convenience. I understand it... but I'll never agree to it.

I, myself, can never be cold-hearted. I actually find myself growing more and more warm these days. Hell, I don't even kill instects anymore in my house. I have strategic jars dotted around that should I see a bug - I just grab one of the plastic jars, capture them, go to the nearest window and let them out.

Pretty much this. When I was younger, maybe 8 or maximum 10, I used to kill smaller animals like birds, I didn't care two cents about others around me and everyone pissed me off.

Today, I frequently donate to charity, hand out free apples to homeless people and after the summer I'll adopt a cat. And that's not even a lie. People do change, I guess.

Maybe it's just a phase...

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Andry View Post
    you're doing it wrong then
    you don't understand how people feel..........