Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alwek View Post
    I would like to know the source of all this arguments that say Varok Saurfang is the strongest of them all during his prime. I don't know much about his past but I hope people are not overestimating his powers because he is a meme, a very powerful meme.
    Varok Saurfang has served with the Horde as part of the Blackrock Clan ever since he drank the blood of Mannoroth alongside Grom Hellscream. Varok led forces in the sacking of Shattrath, Stormwind, and everything between, never losing in battle until the Horde was routed at the end of the Second War.

When Orgrim Doomhammer seized control of the Horde in the First War, he chose Varok Saurfang as his second-in-command after witnessing Varok's efficient and brutal tactics on the field. After the demonic bloodlust had been lifted from the orcs due to Grom Hellscream's sacrifice, Varok helped dozens of veterans come to grips with their previous atrocities, ultimately saving the lives of many great Horde soldiers.

Varok went on to become a famed veteran of the First, Second, and Third Wars.

I could say the same about Varian. All this 'Mighty Gladiator' talk is rubbish. He fought in about 3? matches in some comic before he escaped but people seem to think he is Russell Crowe.

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Goldrinn is no God, he's an Ancient. Varian would beat Garrosh one on one because Garrosh is an inexperienced little pipsqueak in battle compared to a gladiator champion that is Varian.
    Problem is that Garrosh and Varian were pretty much equal in Tides of War, while Garrosh was weaker in Wolfheart, his Strength / Battle prowess seems somehow to grow while Varian's doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Problem is that Garrosh and Varian were pretty much equal in Tides of War, while Garrosh was weaker in Wolfheart, his Strength / Battle prowess seems somehow to grow while Varian's doesn't.
    Sample size too small.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SherbertLand View Post
    What has Varian ever done? Probably anything alone. You can't do anything alone.
    Sure I can. I can kill most of the bosses mentioned alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anduin is the 6 million gold man. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Anduin Wrynn will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

of course he isn't. to be the greatest he'd have to be a gnome

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    of course he isn't. to be the greatest he'd have to be a gnome
    Name one major lore character that's a gnome

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SherbertLand View Post
    Name one major lore character that's a gnome
    Millhouse Manastorm

Surprised no one said Theldurin the Lost. He did punch Deathwing in the face and lived to tell the tale.

What about Lothar? Can Turaylon also count as a warrior?
    \

I was under the impression that we were talking about living Warriors. If it were to be of all time, I'd probably tip my hat towards Broxxigar. But living, definitely Varok.

Not to mention the plain fact that any duel between equally skilled and equipped Humans and Orc, the Orc would likely win through superior natural strength. Then again, Orcs tend to be blinded by rage in battle, so the Human may win through tactical advantage.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 08:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Varok Saurfang has served with the Horde as part of the Blackrock Clan ever since he drank the blood of Mannoroth alongside Grom Hellscream. Varok led forces in the sacking of Shattrath, Stormwind, and everything between, never losing in battle until the Horde was routed at the end of the Second War.

When Orgrim Doomhammer seized control of the Horde in the First War, he chose Varok Saurfang as his second-in-command after witnessing Varok's efficient and brutal tactics on the field. After the demonic bloodlust had been lifted from the orcs due to Grom Hellscream's sacrifice, Varok helped dozens of veterans come to grips with their previous atrocities, ultimately saving the lives of many great Horde soldiers.

He also lead the combined Horde and Alliance forces (Might of Kalimdor) to take care of the Qiraji threat.

Deal with it, Alliance. While you guys have some pretty awesome Paladins, we Horde have Warriors pretty well covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    I was under the impression that we were talking about living Warriors. If it were to be of all time, I'd probably tip my hat towards Broxxigar. But living, definitely Varok.

Not to mention the plain fact that any duel between equally skilled and equipped Humans and Orc, the Orc would likely win through superior natural strength. Then again, Orcs tend to be blinded by rage in battle, so the Human may win through tactical advantage.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 08:51 PM ----------

He also lead the combined Horde and Alliance forces (Might of Kalimdor) to take care of the Qiraji threat.

Deal with it, Alliance. While you guys have some pretty awesome Paladins, we Horde have Warriors pretty well covered.
    Turalyon kicked plenty of Horde butt. And Anduin Lothar was one of the GREATEST warriors of all time. Varian surprised all you Orc Oafs what Humans are capable off. Please.... Horde are weak. Just as Archimonde said.
    \

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wollveren View Post
    Turalyon kicked plenty of Horde butt. And Anduin Lothar was one of the GREATEST warriors of all time. Varian surprised all you Orc Oafs what Humans are capable off. Please.... Horde are weak. Just as Archimonde said.
    Anduin Lothar got killed by Doomhammer an orc. And I'm pretty sure Lothar would get wrecked by this certain badass down here. Also this page http://www.wowpedia.org/Warrior has list of notable Horde/Alliance warriors, I know what side I'd bet on.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post

I could say the same about Varian. All this 'Mighty Gladiator' talk is rubbish. He fought in about 3? matches in some comic before he escaped but people seem to think he is Russell Crowe.
    Saurfang has military experience, but all that doesn't quite automatically mean he's a good 1v1 warrior. And I'm not saying he isn't, but it's a logical fallacy to point his experience out as proof of his 1v1 power.

And Varian also led the Horde towards the Emerald Dream in Stormrage, and is apparently uniting all of Alliance soon, so you can't play the leadership card against Varian.

But I know, I know, judging from your dismissal of the comic book you'll just count this off as some omg omg plot device fallacy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
    Saurfang has military experience, but all that doesn't quite automatically mean he's a good 1v1 warrior. And I'm not saying he isn't, but it's a logical fallacy to point his experience out as proof of his 1v1 power.

And Varian also led the Horde towards the Emerald Dream in Stormrage, and is apparently uniting all of Alliance soon, so you can't play the leadership card against Varian.

But I know, I know, judging from your dismissal of the comic book you'll just count this off as some omg omg plot device fallacy as well.
    While the OP mentioned "A fight to the death," the original question is if Varian is the greatest Warrior on all of Azeroth. Being the best Gladiator, specifically trained in 1v1 combat, does not necessarily equate to being a great Warrior. A Warrior implies something different, IMO. You'll rarely face off 1v1 on the battlefield, and Saurfang has lived through all three of the great wars of Azeroth, not to mention many military victories before Azeroth.

Varian might not share the same fate if he had been through all the same shit Varok has. Don't get me wrong, I like Varian, and think he's pretty badass (saying something coming from a life-long member of the Horde), but I think Varok's a better warrior.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 09:36 PM ----------

An additional thought, prior to Jesus mode, I'd say Varian was pretty even with Thrall. Thrall had his Shamanistic powers, but Varian had his powers from Lo'gash. If you look look at all of the Horde's known living Blademasters, their Gladiator equivalents, Varian would probably hand each and every one of them their ass.
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    They hardly fought in Tides of War, with the Kraken destroying the ship where both were standing.

While the OP mentioned "A fight to the death," the original question is if Varian is the greatest Warrior on all of Azeroth. Being the best Gladiator, specifically trained in 1v1 combat, does not necessarily equate to being a great Warrior. A Warrior implies something different, IMO. You'll rarely face off 1v1 on the battlefield, and Saurfang has lived through all three of the great wars of Azeroth, not to mention many military victories before Azeroth.

Varian might not share the same fate if he had been through all the same shit Varok has. Don't get me wrong, I like Varian, and think he's pretty badass (saying something coming from a life-long member of the Horde), but I think Varok's a better warrior.
    You're basically comparing lifetime 'cheeves here, so yeah, Varok wins in that comparison. But his story is done, while Varian has already done lots in his young career (including the A-H Emerald Dream army as I mentioned), the Orcs actually respect this human, plus he has yet to hit his leadership peak (High King). I think when all is said and done his career will have been greater than Saurfang's.

Deleted
    I think Garrosh, Thrall and Saurfang are all greater warriors than Varian.
    They're Orcs afterall, they're much bigger and more experienced in combat. They're like the ancient spartans: bred for war.

Baine also has a good shot I think.

But yeah, Varian is probably the best Alliance warrior. He wouldn't lose to the above mentioned easily, but in most cases (not all) he would still lose.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 10:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wollveren View Post
    Turalyon kicked plenty of Horde butt.
    Turalyon isn't a warrior though. Just like Vol'jin or Sylvanas isn't a warrior.

Thrall is more than warrior, but he can still fight without the backing of the elements so that's why I count him as well.
    Turalyon, I bet he's also pretty strong without his holy light to back him up. But we haven't seen any proof of that.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 10:53 PM ----------

This is pretty much spot on. A veteran Human might win against an inexperienced young Orc. But with equal experience Orcs pretty much win by default, they're natural fighters.

Old lore stated that each Orc grunt was at least as strong as two Human footmen. This has been retconned, but it can never be that they're now equal in strength. Just look at an Orc, he's much more muscular. How can a human win against that much more raw power? Well, he can if he has more experience. See above.

Quote Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
    You're basically comparing lifetime 'cheeves here, so yeah, Varok wins in that comparison. But his story is done, while Varian has already done lots in his young career (including the A-H Emerald Dream army as I mentioned), the Orcs actually respect this human, plus he has yet to hit his leadership peak (High King). I think when all is said and done his career will have been greater than Saurfang's.
    Only time will tell, there. A 1v1 fight, Varian would likely win over Varok, simply because Varok is old and mentally and emotionally exhausted. Which is also the reason we'll likely not see him as a Warchief.

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Varian would beat Garrosh one on one because Garrosh is an inexperienced little pipsqueak in battle compared to a gladiator champion that is Varian.
    I Disagree. I think Garrosh is getting stronger and i don't think he has showed all of his power, even empowered by Goldrinn i think it would be close.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!