Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sisk View Post
    Well you can't claim you are doing anything productive during those 20 seconds you are dead in the gy, and if people know the system is there to avoid botting i am pretty sure they wouldn't mind spending 0.5 of a second on forming a shape on the screen even if it is for the 1000'th time
    It would still be possible for a bot to do. You can't have the shape requirements be to precise or you would annoy customers that do the shape but don't get it perfect. What about players with disabilities that make that fine control of a mouse harder? You don't need fine control to play WoW. You would need to indicate some way of shape and place to draw. The place to draw if not random could easily be figured out by a bot. You could have the client send a chat string (or any other kind of text) for what shape to draw or a bot could easily parse it.

You don't stop bots by making it cumbersome for normal people to play. You'll still have bots but just more user attended bots.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It would still be possible for a bot to do. You can't have the shape requirements be to precise or you would annoy customers that do the shape but don't get it perfect. What about players with disabilities that make that fine control of a mouse harder? You don't need fine control to play WoW. You would need to indicate some way of shape and place to draw. The place to draw if not random could easily be figured out by a bot. You could have the client send a chat string (or any other kind of text) for what shape to draw or a bot could easily parse it.

You don't stop bots by making it cumbersome for normal people to play. You'll still have bots but just more user attended bots.
    ^ this,
    And theres enough screen-reading algorythms around.
    writing a fix for this sort of defense will most likely be done in a mere minute.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    This is just a conspiracy theory. If it was true, no one would ever be banned for economic exploitation or other ToA violation, but people are all the time. Take one look at the customer service forums (or here for that matter) to know that Blizzard takes their Terms seriously and will ban accounts in violation, despite the loss of a sub.
    all the more reason to scrap the current honor points systems or drastically overhaul it. my suggestion would be to take away the gear thats bought with honor. make it buyable with a small gold fee, 25-50g a pop for certain pieces and make the honor earned in bgs for cosmetic stuff, such as pets, transmog gear or something else. it would have to be something that wasnt really worth botting for if that makes any sense.

im sure theres some people out there that might bot for transmog gear but i would imagine it would be lower than what people bot for now. also the items bought with honor would be bop, thus removing the ability for them to bot games anyways and sell the transmog gear/pets whatever it is theyve decided to make buyable with honor.

or just do away with honor all together. allow the first win of the day to give you the 25 conquest points and thats it. would be similar to the way skirmishes worked back in the day, they werent worth anything except for trying out new specs, macros or comps. normal bgs would just become a practice area for rated bgs. i suspect this would piss off a lot of people as there would then be no incentive outside of the 25 conquest points, but for those that actually want to just pvp and pvp against real people it would be the best solution imo

anyways thats just my two ideas ive been throwing around and suggesting everytime these threads come up, i would post them on the blizz forums but i no longer play WoW, i did post it back when i was still playing but it didnt garner too much attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Not going to read your post, saw something like "enter this text"/captcha.
    Terrible idea, many idiots have gone before you.
    You really don't need to be harsh, rude and disrespectful like that..is it really hard to say it's terrible idea and I don't agree? instead of insults?

thanks anyway.

Why do you end your comment with personal opinion "for me it's not (fun)",
    But start your comment with commanding statement "keep telling yourself that ... is fun"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    all the more reason to scrap the current honor points systems or drastically overhaul it. my suggestion would be to take away the gear thats bought with honor. make it buyable with a small gold fee, 25-50g a pop for certain pieces and make the honor earned in bgs for cosmetic stuff, such as pets, transmog gear or something else. it would have to be something that wasnt really worth botting for if that makes any sense.

im sure theres some people out there that might bot for transmog gear but i would imagine it would be lower than what people bot for now. also the items bought with honor would be bop, thus removing the ability for them to bot games anyways and sell the transmog gear/pets whatever it is theyve decided to make buyable with honor.
    Why not just sell ready-to-raid gear for 20-25 gold then?

or just do away with honor all together. allow the first win of the day to give you the 25 conquest points and thats it. would be similar to the way skirmishes worked back in the day, they werent worth anything except for trying out new specs, macros or comps. normal bgs would just become a practice area for rated bgs. i suspect this would piss off a lot of people as there would then be no incentive outside of the 25 conquest points, but for those that actually want to just pvp and pvp against real people it would be the best solution imo
    Except VASTLY more people do random BGs than do Rated Battlegrounds.

I like PvP. However, my guild isn't filled with people with PvP, and my server's PvP side is practically non-existent. So no rated BGs. Therefore, my only mass PvP avenue is random BGs. I actually play them for conquest alone at this point, and spend honor points on motes of harmony.

The honor grind isn't even remotely difficult. A sane human being can get a full set of PvP honor gear in an order of about a month. I never even bothered wasting money on crafted PvP gear.

Frankly, if something is too "grindy" for someone, and they don't put in the effort, then they don't deserve any reward from it. Which is one of the reasons I despise botters.

As for a "solution," I would put in an automatically instated Captcha system for players that receive too many reports for botting, and maintain it on players who have received temporary bans for botting when they return to the game. If bot makers can develop a full-proof image text-reading software program, at that point they should stop wasting their time and get a real job at a software company.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpocrates View Post
    if blizzard really wanted to do away with botters permanently , they would have. Money is money and they gain more from botters over those who quit because of botters
    I'm glad Blizzard isn't mindlessly banning bots, since that's dealing with the resoults, not the issue. The problem lies in horribly broken PvP system in MoP, rewarding patience more than skill. Every new PvPer needs to have a huge chunk of his time wasted just farming points - thus the bots are born. I'm glad Blizzard focuses on the issue... oh wait.

Yep, get ready - top tier PvP gear will now be awarded to "the most successfull botter". Be very afraid.

Honestly I think redesigning the PVP reward structure is the best solution. The reason those bots exist in the first place is because you're required to farm an obscene amount of battlegrounds to get your PVP gear from honor. If doing BGs became a matter of "I feel like doing this BG today" as opposed to "I must do BGs all day today to obtain my next piece of gear" then bots wouldn't exist as there would be no point in botting in BGs.

But really, I don't think blizzard cares much. They figure if you are a serious PVPer and want to do some serious PVPing, you'll form an RBG team and there certainly won't be any bots in there. Anything below that isnt really important in their eyes.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    Honestly I think redesigning the PVP reward structure is the best solution. The reason those bots exist in the first place is because you're required to farm an obscene amount of battlegrounds to get your PVP gear from honor. If doing BGs became a matter of "I feel like doing this BG today" as opposed to "I must do BGs all day today to obtain my next piece of gear" then bots wouldn't exist as there would be no point in botting in BGs.

But really, I don't think blizzard cares much. They figure if you are a serious PVPer and want to do some serious PVPing, you'll form an RBG team and there certainly won't be any bots in there. Anything below that isnt really important in their eyes.
    I never found the BG grind that "daunting." Supposedly the people that want to do PvP actually like doing PvP, and, guess what, you have to do PvP to get PvP gear. So the people that grind for honor points dislike PvP, but want to grind the honor points so they can PvP? That doesn't quite compute.

More simply than just letting people have PvP gear (if you did that, why not just let people have raid-ready gear?) Blizzard should structure their PvP queues to put players with similarly geared players, with a wider margin for the upper tiers (to blend conquest players in with full honor players and partial conquest/honor players to keep queue times low)... that right there takes care of the whole "well I like doing PvP but I don't like getting destroyed for the first couple days I have to grind it" argument.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.