Thread: The darkspear

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The darkspear

I feel that the darkspear aren't getting enough attention or much development. I know there has been some development with there story but i feel like it isnt enough. Same with the gnomes, i personally dont care for the gnomes, but i feel like both of these races/faction have not gotten much attention and development since the ending of wrath and the beginning of cata, other than a revamped starting zone which pretty much most races got. Does any one else fell the same way?

sorry for my spelling

They did in MoP more than the Forsaken or Goblins so far, and Vol'jin is pretty much setting up the Horde Rebellion.

Deleted
    well the darkspear got some attention in 5.1 with voljin being stabbed in the back and the trolls in the starter zone being under control by korkon subjagtors, which you free with thrall and then you dont hear a thing from them or voljin agian except a few letters.

i hope he makes an appearance in 5.2 or atleat 5.3 were the start towards the orgrimmar raid comes.

10+ Year Old Account
    When people say lore, they mean story right? I always considered lore going backwards into a races history (IE Taunka, Ulduar) and story advancing it forward.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're one of the races that would most benefit from racial assimilation. Vol'jin becoming a Zul'jin-esque leadership figure for trolls of all kinds (Zandalari stragglers, Amani defectors, etc.) willing to defer to his leadership over their evil overlord of the week would do the entire troll race a lot of good. It would buff up the Darkspear tribe and give them a much more diverse palette too, sort of making the Darkspear the leaders of a slightly more morally straight troll confederacy.

Surely non-Darkspear trolls must see the futility in waging wars they can't win every expansion. They'd be better off on our side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    They're one of the races that would most benefit from racial assimilation. Vol'jin becoming a Zul'jin-esque leadership figure for trolls of all kinds (Zandalari stragglers, Amani defectors, etc.) willing to defer to his leadership over their evil overlord of the week would do the entire troll race a lot of good. It would buff up the Darkspear tribe and give them a much more diverse palette too, sort of making the Darkspear the leaders of a slightly more morally straight troll confederacy.

Surely non-Darkspear trolls must see the futility in waging wars they can't win every expansion. They'd be better off on our side.
    Which tribe of trolls hold even the slightest amount of respect for us at this point? If they were smart they'd Allie amongst themselves against us, but they'd rather go down one by one. Why did they even include Vol'jin at the meeting in 4.1, they should know by now he and his heroes have destroyed the Drakkari, Amani, Zul'Farrak... Atal'Hakkar..

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    They did in MoP more than the Forsaken or Goblins so far, and Vol'jin is pretty much setting up the Horde Rebellion.
    Speaking of the goblins... do they even have a technical leader right now or is Gallywix still AWOL?

The only ones getting more positive development in this expansion than the Darkspear have been the Blood Elves. Just let the story pan out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    The only ones getting more positive development in this expansion than the Darkspear have been the Blood Elves. Just let the story pan out.
    So in your opinion, do you think Blizzard planned it out ahead of time, or did they get spotlighted out of player demand/crying?

Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    Speaking of the goblins... do they even have a technical leader right now or is Gallywix still AWOL?
    gallywix is not awol, he's just not present in-game.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Bilgewater_Cartel_Contract
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Hellscream%27s_Command:_Goblins
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Battlelog_of_Warlord_Bloodhilt

he's doing his stuff behind the scenes.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    The darkspear just had some lore in 5.1 and as mentioned Vol'jin is pretty much leading the horde rebellion. Gnomes, yeah they're slightly neglected but they don't really fit in with the overall story arch at the moment. I'd like to see some Tauren and Worgen lore to be honest, the forsaken always spice things up do nasty shit and get people mad so give some MoP lore.

Yeah I'm really sad about the Darkspear, they're the "Troll Lite" of trolls, they don't have much in the way of a culture or unique powers and gods of their own, and they're not even involved in the Zandalar / Mogu thing alongside the Sunreavers.
    Twas brillig

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Yeah I'm really sad about the Darkspear, they're the "Troll Lite" of trolls, they don't have much in the way of a culture or unique powers and gods of their own, and they're not even involved in the Zandalar / Mogu thing alongside the Sunreavers.
    Maybe if Vol'jin wasn't a treacherous little bitch he and his trolls would be invited on the Horde "Vacations" (and by Vacations I mean conquering of new lands using massive power that you don't actually understand but fuck it, it works)
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

the darkspear tribe was part of the gurubashi empire, so the loa they revere are the same as the gurubashi:

shirvalla and hir'eek give trolls their druid car and flight form. an unknown loa bear gives them bear form (it might be the amani nalorakk). hethiss, bethekk and shandra are also worshipped (witherbark forest trolls and sandfury sand trolls also worship shandra. she's popular ). bwonsamdi is a specific darkspear loa. the zandalari loa gonk is also worshipped by the darskpear. the ancients (such as goldrin and aviana) are also considered loa and revered by the darkspear.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    So in your opinion, do you think Blizzard planned it out ahead of time, or did they get spotlighted out of player demand/crying?
    Don't know, don't really care what Blizzards motives were. Darkspear got a nice amount of development and portrays them positively.

10+ Year Old Account
    The darkspear were the focus on 5.1 and 4.1 0o

and the pre cata events - retaking the isles

Seriously...i think the may have had the most attention over all other races 0o
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2013-01-26 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    the darkspear tribe was part of the gurubashi empire, so the loa they revere are the same as the gurubashi:

shirvalla and hir'eek give trolls their druid car and flight form. an unknown loa bear gives them bear form (it might be the amani nalorakk). hethiss, bethekk and shandra are also worshipped (witherbark forest trolls and sandfury sand trolls also worship shandra. she's popular ). bwonsamdi is a specific darkspear loa. the zandalari loa gonk is also worshipped by the darskpear. the ancients (such as goldrin and aviana) are also considered loa and revered by the darkspear.
    1. I'm aware of that but you'd think that among the Gurubashi pantheon there'd be one they'd call on or favor or would favor them or something :\

2. yes but as you pointed out they're all tied to other tribes, and I dunno where you got the idea that they worship shadra, they seemed to oppose her more than anything else for some reason, questing is weird about that in a lot of ways actually.

What I mean though is that the darkspear have no dire trolls, they dont' regularly field mojo golems or spirit masks and they have no powerful loa priests that regularly take the field, no great altars, no fancy statues, no trademark magic or ritual of their own. They lack the things every other tribe has.
    Twas brillig

15+ Year Old Account
    1. I'm aware of that but you'd think that among the Gurubashi pantheon there'd be one they'd call on or favor or would favor them or something :\

2. yes but as you pointed out they're all tied to other tribes, and I dunno where you got the idea that they worship shadra, they seemed to oppose her more than anything else for some reason, questing is weird about that in a lot of ways actually.

What I mean though is that the darkspear have no dire trolls, they dont' regularly field mojo golems or spirit masks and they have no powerful loa priests that regularly take the field, no great altars, no fancy statues, no trademark magic or ritual of their own. They lack the things every other tribe has.
    Which is, unfortunately, their schtick. The Darkspear were the runt tribe, the little tribe everyone else picked on and mocked until Thrall saved their island from Murlocs
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    Which is, unfortunately, their schtick. The Darkspear were the runt tribe, the little tribe everyone else picked on and mocked until Thrall saved their island from Murlocs
    no, thrall took them and ran away from the darkspear island. the echo islands are different islands lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd actually say the Trolls are getting some pretty substantial lore compared to other races. At the end of Wrath they had The Battle for the Echo Isles, Cataclysm introduced us to the Trolls new life of living on the outskirts of Durotar in their new reclaimed home which had been rebuilt coupled with Garrosh kicking the Trolls out and Vol'jin putting his foot down. Then we have their involvement with the Zandalari.

Now we have Vol'jin getting stabbed in the back as he tries to watch Garrosh, the Trolls being betrayed by Garrosh and ordered to be exterminated. Vol'jin getting his own damn book. On top of all of this he being built up to play a major role in the Siege of Orgrimmar.

If anything Trolls are getting some of the most lore of any race currently. Things have never been better for them.