Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Looking for new SSD for gaming

Upgrading my hard drive to an SSD.. Any suggestions on what I should get. Only looking for a 128GB and use my 1TB and my second drive. Let me know when you can, looking to buy tomorrow morning early to get the shipping processed same day.

I upgraded myself with http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RARHSO/...0_M3T1_SC_dp_2 about a month and a half ago (except the 256GB version) and couldn't really be happier. It's blazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

I'd ask yourself the simple question before you buy of how many games do you play at a time, and/or how many do you keep on your hard drive.

Just built a computer, fresh install, I have a 256gb ssd. I installed 3 games and windows8. GW2, SWTOR, and Assassins Creed 3. Used 115gb. Thus if you are planning on installing a few games, you might definitely consider going bigger.

Deleted
    My recommendation considering price/performance/reliability is:

Crucial M4 128GB $108-114
    Samsung 830 128GB $110

If you need bigger then just bump to 256GB.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I will be putting windows 7, League of legends, and Diablo 3 on the SSD.

I used a 128GB and it works for me. I have Windows, WoW, and GW2 on it. Sometimes I'll switch out GW2 for SW:TOR depending on if I'm not playing one very actively at the time.

I'm not sure how large League is (never played it) but I think a 128GB would be plenty for those three things. I really like my SSD but it's a bit older so I'm sure there's a ton of better options out there by now (I'm using an OCZ Vertex).

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    What about the new 840 pro by samsung?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LitteringAnd01 View Post
    What about the new 840 pro by samsung?
    Yes excellent if you don't mind the jump in price.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just looking for something with high performance that is reliable for around $130 bucks. Will see who all replies throughout the night and check in the morning.. Thanks for the input! Appreciate it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LitteringAnd01 View Post
    Just looking for something with high performance that is reliable for around $130 bucks. Will see who all replies throughout the night and check in the morning.. Thanks for the input! Appreciate it
    They are all high performance, Samsung/Crucial (these specific drives) are well known for their reliability as well.

I have the Corsair Force GT and it is smoking fast. 128GB isn't too bad if you change your Docs/Pics/Music directories to your other drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    My recommendation considering price/performance/reliability is:

Crucial M4 128GB $108-114
    Samsung 830 128GB $110

If you need bigger then just bump to 256GB.

I use the Samsung you listed almost since it was released and I have not had a single complaint, loved every moment.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    What do you guys think about:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820239046

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 09:18 AM ----------

This would be of course if I get the larger sized SSD. Also, I know this may be a rookie question but, will I be able to download Steam on my HDD and be able to download and play the games on my SSD? This is of course if I get the larger SSD

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 11:16 AM ----------

anything thoughts about this SSD I have linked above.. I have heard nothing but good things about the Samsung and Crucial, but no input about the Kingston.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 11:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    I use the Samsung you listed almost since it was released and I have not had a single complaint, loved every moment.
    You have any thoughts on the kingston product I linked in my last comment?

Deleted
    The Kingston drive is a Sandforce controller drive. Compared to any Marvell (indilinx) controller, those in Samsung/Crucial, they've shown to be less reliable/stable. So it's Samsung 830, Samsung 840Pro and Crucial M4 mentioned in this thread you should be looking at in my opinion. You can probably ask and name 20 other drives that will all perform on par with each other, for everyday use most people won't notice a difference.

The Vertex4 is probably fine too, mainly it's OCZ's poor track record that makes us not recommend them. So yeah assuming any of the drives in this thread don't fail they're all good.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the help. I went with the Samsung 840 Pro series. Cheers!