Question about ASRock Z77 Extreme4 regarding RAMs

Hey fellas.

So I'm planning on getting the ASRock Z77 Extreme4. My questions are:

1. 4×240pin. This is pretty self-explanatory but I still want confirmation. This means it can ONLY fit 4 RAMs that are 240 pin?

2. Do I have to fill all 4 slots or is it not necessary?

3. It says Maximum Memory Supported: 32GB. So this means the maximum amount of RAM it can support is 32gb. Would it harm the Mobo if I exceeded that maximum or would it just not be efficient?

4. Can I mix different types of RAMs from different manufacturers together or do they all have to be from the same company?

5. Is there a right and wrong way of buying RAM? Would installing 2 4GB RAM be the same as installing 1 8GB RAM if they were both from the exact same company and had the exact same specs? Or would 2 run more efficiently?

6. Last but not least, I see most mid-to-high-end gaming builds only buying 1 RAM stick (2 at most). For my build I can see the Corsair Vengeance is pretty good. But why is it that they don't fill up the 32GB maximum? Other than trying to lower the budget, do games need that much RAM anyways or will 1 8 GB be enough?

Thank you

1. Yes.

2. No, not necessary at all.

3. More than 32gb will not work.

4. You can, as long as they are the same speed(1333, 1600, 1800, 2133 etc)

5. On this motherboard its most efficient to run either 1 or two sticks because its dual-channel.

6. 8GB is more than enough for any game out there at the moment, unless you're doing video rendering you dont need any more than 8.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Thanks for your replies guys.

FYI I'll be using an i5 3570k

Quote Originally Posted by Selkinor View Post
    This sounds like an expensive build. What games are you going to play on it?
    I'd like to play most titles for this year on High settings (keyword High. not going for Ultra).

My GPU will be a GTX 670 WTF (or GIGABYTE Windforcex3 not sure yet. Thoughts?)

So not really that expensive I'd say mid to low-high end.

Quote Originally Posted by Googles View Post
    I'd like to play most titles for this year on High settings (keyword High. not going for Ultra).

My GPU will be a GTX 670 WTF (or GIGABYTE Windforcex3 not sure yet. Thoughts?)

So not really that expensive I'd say mid to low-high end.
    I use a 670 wf3, asrock extreme 4 16gb of ram and a 3770k which would have basically the same performance in games and nothing has made it sweat so far on ultra at 1080p.

Quote Originally Posted by Relicra View Post
    I use a 670 wf3, asrock extreme 4 16gb of ram and a 3770k which would have basically the same performance in games and nothing has made it sweat so far on ultra at 1080p.
    Nice build! Don't have the budget for that processor though ;<

10+ Year Old Account
    2x4gb (8gb total) DDR3 1600 will be plenty. There is no reason to get more, unless you do something that is specifically ram intensive (i.e. something that isnt gaming)

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 12:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Googles View Post
    Nice build! Don't have the budget for that processor though ;<
    Don't worry too much about it. The 3770K performs no better for gaming, nor would 16gb ram. So you're good.

I'm using the same MB and PCU with 16g of ram. I know 16 is overkill but I got a really good price on it so why not. I'm using the gtx 660 ftw and I'm running WoW on ultra with little to no problems. I'm using the corsair vengeance 2x8 in dual channel. The only reason I would get and odd number sticks of ram would be if I was running tri-channel.