10+ Year Old Account

Which keyboard should I pick up? Razer Arctosa vs. Microsoft SideWinder X4

Hey, so yesterday I spilt water in my Logitech G510 keyboard and forgetting it had spil holes in it I shaked it in panic and broke it.
    So know I'm looking after a new keyboard I liked my G510 keyboard but as I have stopped playing WoW I havn't used my Gkeys and my LCD display since. Also the wristrest I didn't enjoy that much so know I'm looking for a relative cheap but good gaming keyboard with wristrest.

Right now it stands between Razar Arctosa and Mircosfot SideWinder X4. Since none of the shops near me have them in store I can't try the sidewrist out nor the keyboard which is why I seach help here.

What concerns me is that with the Arctosa the anti ghosting is only on WASD where as the SideWinder is 26. But also the keys, they are like the ones on the laptop which I dont think suit well for gaming. On the puls side Arctosa seems to have better wristrest which I like.
    However the SideWinder got shiny lights not that it matters that much it's just nice to have when you game at night.

So what are your experiance with these keyboards? A friend of mine had the SideWinder X6 and said it as shit and broke easy is that true? And if there is someone that have had both which one do you preffer?

Thank you for your time and answers!
    Oderint dum metuat.
    Success is dependent on effort.

I had a Sidewinder x4 for a couple of years, I still have it in my closet and it works perfectly but I don't use it anymore since I've upgrade to a mechanical since.

The X4 was pretty nice, and if I were to recommend a rubberdome keyboard to someone that is gaming it will most likely be that model.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

I would call the Sidewinder X4 the lesser evil here, and the least prone to break of the two suggested alternatives.

im a razer arctosa user and im really happy with mine. Mine has worked perfectly for 2 years without a problem, and it has gotten beaten the shit out of it several times, and never broke. Wrist rest is detachable, so its ok, though i've never taken mine off of it. I've never had a problem with ghosting while gaming, but im a razer naga user aswell, so i dont know if it changes things that i press spells and abilities with my mouse buttons.

I cant remember the price of the arctosa, but iirc it costs about as much as a used condom, so buying it and then not liking it wont hurt your wallet all too much.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    I had a Sidewinder x4 for a couple of years, I still have it in my closet and it works perfectly but I don't use it anymore since I've upgrade to a mechanical since.

The X4 was pretty nice, and if I were to recommend a rubberdome keyboard to someone that is gaming it will most likely be that model.
    Cool seems like the SideWinder after all got some nice stabilty. I just came to wonder a question that I actually forgot to ask and it was rubberdome vs machanical. I understand that machanical is probably the best but also cost more but what I don't know is how much it will effect your gaming in real life? On paper there sames to be a big different but I wonder if this actually means anything?
    The normal standard keyboards you have at school etc. does are machanical right? If that's the case I've never tried a rubberdome. :/

Also how are the keys on the X4? Are they nice to press on? I mean I had the G510 that had high bottons where both Arctosa and X4 has more flat which I'm a bit afaird of since I hate typing on laptops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catanowplx View Post
    im a razer arctosa user and im really happy with mine. Mine has worked perfectly for 2 years without a problem, and it has gotten beaten the shit out of it several times, and never broke. Wrist rest is detachable, so its ok, though i've never taken mine off of it. I've never had a problem with ghosting while gaming, but im a razer naga user aswell, so i dont know if it changes things that i press spells and abilities with my mouse buttons.

I cant remember the price of the arctosa, but iirc it costs about as much as a used condom, so buying it and then not liking it wont hurt your wallet all too much.
    Both of them are pretty cheap, but as a student and being a person that doesn't like to spend money I'd hate to buy something I wouldn't like and be forced to spend more money on a new one.
    Last edited by Rivenda; 2013-01-28 at 09:33 AM.
    Oderint dum metuat.
    Success is dependent on effort.

I have had the Razer Arctosa before and TBH sure the wrist rest is good but the keyboard itself is kind of pants.
    I had quite a few problems like keys not working half the time and some time registering twice even to i only hit it once.
    It also feels to much like a laptop keyboard i don't really know much about the microsoft keyboard so i cant really comment on it.

Im personally using a CM Storm QuickFire TK Keyboard witch blue key switches and a stand alone ducky wrist rest atm and i love it
    So if your willing to spend a tad more on a keyboard + wrist rest i strongly recommend it you don't really need a ducky wrist rest ether.
    You can get one of those cheep gel wrist rest if you want to it just wont look as good.

The keys on your G510 are rubberdome, and most likely the ones you have in school as well. Performance wise when it comes to gaming I don't think there is a huge difference. Mechanical keys are more about the feel, I guess a linear non tactile switch like the MX Red or Black could have a small benefit for spamming if you can hoover around the activation spot.
    If you want to try out a mechanical keyboard you can go to Elgiganten or Mediamarkt, they usually have a bunch of keyboards out for display.

The X4 keys looks lower than they actually are, they are not like laptop keys they are just not standing out as much as the key on a G510. They feel pretty much like most rubberdome keys, there is a higher resistance for pressure at the start of the push and then it just goes to no resistance pretty much.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    razer lycosa is a nice board
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    razer lycosa is a nice board
    Unless you got one of the defect ones. *Yay for me.....*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I would call the Sidewinder X4 the lesser evil here, and the least prone to break of the two suggested alternatives.
    this sums up the comparison pretty much.
    if you need an unbreakable keyboard get those standard dell ones (i got one from 13 years ago it looks awfull but it will always work no matter how you punish it)