Page 1 of 2
LastLast

250mbit broadband or 100mbit Fiber?

Hello!

Im about to move and I'm gonna upgrade my internet and shit. However, I'm facing a problem.

I got 2 diffrent companys to pick from (I'm gonna use same for tv, phone and internet).

Company 1: Can offer me 150-250mbit/30-50mbit cable broadband + tv,phone for 50 euro / month.
    Company 2: Can offer me; 100/10 or 100/100 FIBER + tv, phone for 50 euro / 60 euro / month

Advices? What would you go for.
    Last edited by Kimpan; 2013-01-29 at 07:00 PM.

Which companies are you choosing from?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Which companies are you choosing from?
    Telia and Tele2.

max download speed isn't the same as your ping speed... You don't need a fast download connection for wow ... only low latency. No?

Deleted
    In my experience as someone who's worked for several ISPs, fiber all the way.

xDSL runs over the copper PSTN net and is prone to all sorts of stability issues. There's also the issue with asymmetric up- and download speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by mludd View Post
    In my experience as someone who's worked for several ISPs, fiber all the way.

xDSL runs over the copper PSTN net and is prone to all sorts of stability issues. There's also the issue with asymmetric up- and download speeds.
    So even if the ADSL should be faster I should go for the lower fiber?

Quote Originally Posted by rogas View Post
    max download speed isn't the same as your ping speed... You don't need a fast download connection for wow ... only low latency. No?
    Lets take latency out of the equation. I have Tele2 (24mbit ADSL) at the moment and I got 15ms~ in WoW. I doubt it will go any higher with whatever I pick. Because I'm just moving one floor up.

I guess if it is between Telia and Tele2 any of them would do.

Do you have any needs for higher download than 100Mbit or higher upload than 50Mbit? That would be how I made the choice between them.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimpan View Post
    DSL is only faster downstream (although the upstream for DSL isn't exactly prohibitive in this case).

I doubt the latency differences will be major if everything works as it should. And there lies the main issue, xDSL technology is a lot more problematic than fiber. With a fiber connection things tend to work or they don't, transmission problems generally have "extreme packet loss" as their main symptom. With xDSL you might get occasional disconnects when doing large transfers, weird intermittent packet loss issues, stuff like that (a "classic" on a noisy line is that an ADSL2+ connection is established at 24 Mbps (DS) and when the user tries to transfer a lot of data over the connection sync is lost and renegotiated, sometimes in ADSL2+ mode or (if the user is "lucky") g.dmt).

I guess if it is between Telia and Tele2 any of them would do.

Do you have any needs for higher download than 100Mbit or higher upload than 50Mbit? That would be how I made the choice between them.
    Well.. I'm not sure. I've always wanted to stream but never had the upload for it. However, do I need more than 50 for it? (Beside prob. wont stream that much anyway if I even decide to do it. I dont really need upload so to say).
    About download, my GF uses Origin alot (Reinstalling her The Sims etc) Like once or twice a week. And we stream Netflix / HBO / Spotify like all the time.

We are perfectly happy with our 24mbit / 1mbit at the moment. It's just that moving will give us the ability to pick a package deal that will make it just as cheap to pick the best of both companys as we pay now for our 24mbit. So might aswell go for better.

DSL is only faster downstream (although the upstream for DSL isn't exactly prohibitive in this case).

I doubt the latency differences will be major if everything works as it should. And there lies the main issue, xDSL technology is a lot more problematic than fiber. With a fiber connection things tend to work or they don't, transmission problems generally have "extreme packet loss" as their main symptom. With xDSL you might get occasional disconnects when doing large transfers, weird intermittent packet loss issues, stuff like that (a "classic" on a noisy line is that an ADSL2+ connection is established at 24 Mbps (DS) and when the user tries to transfer a lot of data over the connection sync is lost and renegotiated, sometimes in ADSL2+ mode or (if the user is "lucky") g.dmt).
    Ive had this 24mbit ADSL for 2,5 years now and I have only DC 2 times. So I suppose it works like it should?
    Last edited by Kimpan; 2013-01-28 at 05:41 PM.

In theory it is faster, but unless you live <1km from the adsl exchange you wont get that much speed, also adsl is only fast downstream(ie download) the upload speeds are dreadful, whereas fiber you get the speed you pay for.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    Ive had this 24mbit ADSL for 2,5 years now and I have only DC 2 times. So I suppose it works like it should?
    That's at 24 Mbps though.

Also, have you checked your DSL modem's logs for the number of disconnects or is this simply the two times when you've noticed?

Well.. I'm not sure. I've always wanted to stream but never had the upload for it. However, do I need more than 50 for it? (Beside prob. wont stream that much anyway if I even decide to do it. I dont really need upload so to say).
    About download, my GF uses Origin alot (Reinstalling her The Sims etc) Like once or twice a week. And we stream Netflix / HBO / Spotify like all the time.
    For streaming 10Mbit upload is enough, most people stream 720p at around 3000-4000Kbit.

Is it possible to try out any of the connections without "bindningstid"? I can try and switch every month if I would like to with my fiber.

For streaming 10Mbit upload is enough, most people stream 720p at around 3000-4000Kbit.

Is it possible to try out any of the connections without "bindningstid"? I can try and switch every month if I would like to with my fiber.
    Well, suppose I could but it will be alot of mess due to being 2 diffrent companys. Gotta recive the modem and shit from them then sent it back etc alot of hassel and would the diffrence be that huge that it would be worth the hassel?

That's at 24 Mbps though.

Also, have you checked your DSL modem's logs for the number of disconnects or is this simply the two times when you've noticed?
    No, how do I do that?
    Last edited by Kimpan; 2013-01-28 at 05:58 PM.

There is no need for a modem with fiber, you just hook up the computer/switch/router to the jack in the wall. So you could start by trying that out and see if it is enough for you.

There is no need for a modem with fiber, you just hook up the computer/switch/router to the jack in the wall. So you could start by trying that out and see if it is enough for you.
    Well, thats the thing. The 250mbit is CHEAPER then 100mbit fiber, so it would make sense to start with the 250mbit wouldnt it? (The package deal will make it cheaper).

Can ADSL even be that fast? I thought it was limited to 24 or 32 mbits max.

Lets take latency out of the equation. I have Tele2 (24mbit ADSL) at the moment and I got 15ms~ in WoW. I doubt it will go any higher with whatever I pick. Because I'm just moving one floor up.
    fiber is giving you lets say 300 overall for all the services, and limit you down/up speed for internet usage at 100 so later in the future they will probably allow you to have faster internet for roughly the same price.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 04:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    Can ADSL even be that fast? I thought it was limited to 24 or 32 mbits max.
    Nah We have poor adsl here (above 8 its adsl2 and above 17 its vdsl2) we sell cheap ass vdsl2 internet at bell canada at 50/10 speed and the limit arent there (in reality we push 67 Mbps for tv and internet 50/10) and we could push it even further.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 04:51 PM ----------

Well, thats the thing. The 250mbit is CHEAPER then 100mbit fiber, so it would make sense to start with the 250mbit wouldnt it? (The package deal will make it cheaper).
    Go fiber, you risk running in trouble with adsl imo.

Deleted
    fiber should provide those <5 ping numbers. adsl isn't bad either with +- 25ms at my other place but why settle for less if you don't have to?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    100/100 Fiber ftw. No second thoughts.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I'm starting to get conviced to go for the fiber. (Fact that as you said, in the future I can prob. upgrade.. the company got 1gb fiber, just not in the house I live in yet).

and to be honest, there aint much out there that can use more then a few mbit anyway. (Talking about torrents etc). So I wouldnt notice a diffrence between 100mbit fiber and 250mbit adsl in terms of download speed, wouldnt I?