Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    It might be something to do with people like Gamdwelf dropping lawsuits and shit.
    Maybe. My problem really isn't with facebook privacy. I have no illusions that it exists, and I treat as on open forum...even with privacy settings set. my problem Is i just think OP if full of shit. and maybe i am wrong, but I don't think so. With that said, I am turning this into a pointless crusade and should probably cut it out.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Maybe. My problem really isn't with facebook privacy. I have no illusions that it exists, and I treat as on open forum...even with privacy settings set. my problem Is i just think OP if full of shit. and maybe i am wrong, but I don't think so. With that said, I am turning this into a pointless crusade and should probably cut it out.
    Many of the businesses I've been in contact with here in my position, again through their due diligence with our business etc. Have somewhat strict social media policies in place. For situations similar to what Hyve is talking about. It goes beyond just hiring practices and permeates almost every aspect of business today. I would say that maybe 1 out of every 5 actually tell you that they're doing it. The rest just go and do it anyway.

It goes beyond social media too, during a due diligence session with (Insert large hedge firm here), they spent considerable time trying to break through my network.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by fooliuscaesar13 View Post
    The only real problem that I see with it is that it cause a business owner to choose to not hire someone based on viewpoints posted in social media that a business owner / interviewer is *not allowed* to ask about in an interview.
    Most people bullshit in their interviews. You speak to most people and they say they're an outgoing positive individual who loves to improve themselves. Yet, if I said to them they should turn up 30 minutes earlier then everyone else, and join me in a quick business class before work, they wouldn't do it because they love to lie to sound better then they are.

Also, if it is private information that you only want friends and family to see, what right does an employer have to know those things?
    Personally, I think they have no right. The things i've said in the past on facebook that made me go bright red when they were being looked into my the company, thanks to my own policy. Lets just say, they knew a lot more about my sex life then I wanted them to.

I didn't mind though, it was all a good laugh and in jest, but for some people it does matter so it is important that the thin line is maintained.

Now, if it is a job where reputation and outward appearance make/break a job...ok, I get it.
    And this is the only place we use this system. All upper-management go through this, and anyone in upper-management is typically dealing with a lot of our clients.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 09:34 PM ----------

You're more then welcome to your opinion, I don't take any offense to it, and I don't care. I'm always skeptical of what people say on the internet, so I've no doubt that you are skeptical of me. For all you know I am a 12 year old kid making this shit up to impress random people, I could be telling the truth or anything in between.

Overall though, the point of this discussion was the find out if people think it is okay for companies to investigate you on Social Media Sites. So, for the sake of making the process easier, do you think it is okay for them to look at the public parts of your profile, and base their opinions on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post

You're more then welcome to your opinion, I don't take any offense to it, and I don't care. I'm always skeptical of what people say on the internet, so I've no doubt that you are skeptical of me. For all you know I am a 12 year old kid making this shit up to impress random people, I could be telling the truth or anything in between.

Overall though, the point of this discussion was the find out if people think it is okay for companies to investigate you on Social Media Sites. So, for the sake of making the process easier, do you think it is okay for them to look at the public parts of your profile, and base their opinions on that?
    Yeah, and I'm sorry I kind of got crusader on you. I'm not 12, but I am sitting on my couch in my underwear in the middle of the afternoon. lol take that as you will.

It is in the best interests of the company to evaluate all information concerning an applicant or employee. With that said i don't feel they are in any way entitled to information I haven't given them access to. If I show up and do my job to your expectations then that I go out and drink every night is none of your damn business. Now if I am going out and getting shitfaced in company logo clothes now it is your concern.

How you evaluate an employee should be based ont he quality of their work, and the image the present to the public. If someone is a furrie and goes to furballs every weekend, that doesn't matter. If they blast the company in the local newspaper than fire his ass.

In short it's a sleazy business practice and an invasion of privacy...if not legally an invasion it still is morally.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Yeah, and I'm sorry I kind of got crusader on you. I'm not 12, but I am sitting on my couch in my underwear in the middle of the afternoon. lol take that as you will.
    Got any of them pictures on Facebook?

It is in the best interests of the company to evaluate all information concerning an applicant or employee. With that said i don't feel they are in any way entitled to information I haven't given them access to. If I show up and do my job to your expectations then that I go out and drink every night is none of your damn business. Now if I am going out and getting shitfaced in company logo clothes now it is your concern.

How you evaluate an employee should be based ont he quality of their work, and the image the present to the public. If someone is a furrie and goes to furballs every weekend, that doesn't matter. If they blast the company in the local newspaper than fire his ass.

In short it's a sleazy business practice and an invasion of privacy...if not legally an invasion it still is morally.
    And you know, I don't disagree with that.

I really do wish I didn't feel like I have to do it, but recurring issues have meant that without it, people just take the piss and the wrong people get in at the wrong place. I'm not going to claim we'll reassess our policies based on this thread, but we're always looking at better ways to operate the company, for all factors (Employes, Employers, Profit etc...). Perhaps the issue lies elsewhere in our recruitment process, that could mean we avoid this.

And you know, I don't disagree with that.

I really do wish I didn't feel like I have to do it, but recurring issues have meant that without it, people just take the piss and the wrong people get in at the wrong place. I'm not going to claim we'll reassess our policies based on this thread, but we're always looking at better ways to operate the company, for all factors (Employes, Employers, Profit etc...). Perhaps the issue lies elsewhere in our recruitment process, that could mean we avoid this.
    that comes back to a previous question - could you reasonably ask the prospect for access to this kind of thing? you imply that it is not an average hire, which implies better than average pay, which i would think would require a little bit more give from the prospect. and wouldnt the willingness/cooperation of the prospect speak more by itself?

even so, your company isnt the problem in my eyes. you are currently a party to it really, but not the root imo
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Most people bullshit in their interviews. You speak to most people and they say they're an outgoing positive individual who loves to improve themselves. Yet, if I said to them they should turn up 30 minutes earlier then everyone else, and join me in a quick business class before work, they wouldn't do it because they love to lie to sound better then they are.
    *Everyone* bullshits in their interviews. Let's get that out of the way right here and now. Also, resumes are steaming piles of horseshit that are somehow weaved into golden fleece by people who know someone with an English Lit degree and who made a small fortune in college writing resumes.
    The point that I was originally trying to make is this:
    Let's say I rant politically in favor of Republicans. I believe in low taxation for businesses and that everyone in America should live here to work here and that welfare is an evil social program designed to destroy Middle Class America.

Now, say I am interviewing with a company whose interviewers/managers are predominantly Democrats who believe in helping out their fellow man and who feel that their higher taxes go toward the greater good. Right off the bat, I am on the bottom of the ladder looking up instead of being even with everyone else that interviews for the job. I might even get a phone call from the HR dept saying that they already filled the position, but really, they've judged who I am on a political rant that I had on a social media website that was posted *only* to family and friends and have been removed from the pool for that job. How is that fair? Why on earth is that legal and why are people ok with that? In the example, I'm not advocating using fertilizer bombs on a social media website but my political opinion will be used against me by a company that was able to submit a request for information from said social media outlet. Last I checked, this is something that cannot be used in an interview, so why is that information legally able to be obtained via social media?

That all being said, I personally wouldn't have a problem with it. I can just see where there would be privacy issues and I can see where possible discrimination could arise. That's it. And really, if a company sees something on my FB page that they don't like, odds are that I wouldn't have liked working for that company in the first place. It would just suck if I lost out on, say, a $125k per year db admin job because the interviewer didn't like that I think that people should earn a living instead of sitting on their asses for it.

**Disclaimer: I am neither Republican nor Democrat, and I certainly wouldn't blow up anything. Cept maybe my toilet...after a few pints of Guinness.
    Last edited by fooliuscaesar13; 2013-01-28 at 09:54 PM. Reason: grammar fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    that comes back to a previous question - could you reasonably ask the prospect for access to this kind of thing? you imply that it is not an average hire, which implies better than average pay, which i would think would require a little bit more give from the prospect. and wouldnt the willingness/cooperation of the prospect speak more by itself?

even so, your company isnt the problem in my eyes. you are currently a party to it really, but not the root imo
    We could also do so. As I said above, we're always reassessing our policies, and while we wont scrap this policy because of what has been discussed in this thread, it has caused me to rethink perhaps how we word a few sections of our polices, and maybe even be more open about the avenues we use.

Good things come from discussions, and I'm glad in the end, a good conversation has been had here.

Deleted
    What are your views on this? How do you feel about the fact that myself, and millions of other employers are actively looking at your Facebook accounts (when you apply to us) in an attempt to gather more information about you, and to reach a verdict on your employment?
    Well I'm laughing my fucking ass out because I do not have any facebook account. Nor LinkedIn. Nor myspace. Nor twitter.

Nor whatever social-bullshit internet site/app.

And I got jobs without this. I was successful at interviews without this. Including some for communication-based jobs where I had to send emails constantly and be aware of everything. I know how the shit works and I'm able to create an account on derpbook in 2 minutes if you need it right now. Except I did not forgot the first rule of the internet: NOTHING PERSONNAL SHALL BE PUT ON IT. Yeah even a pic. And I'll use my second name too, which is, by the way, as specific as "John Smith" if you get the idea (I consider this as luck).

Have a nice day mister employer, for you'll not be able to know who I fuck/drink/hang out with, and worse, won't be able to CATCH ME ON THE INTERWEBZ DOING THESE THINGS ON AN INSTAGRAM PIC WITH MY COLLEAGUES LOLOLOL.

Feel bad about it? Then maybe you should review your moral standards. If you can't give any credit in people for what they are doing for your business and have to rely on what they show about themselves on the net (as if they couldn't be completely different persons in private) I think your business will collapse because you're not recruiting a team, but buying servants.

Just my 2 cents.

This has not been sent from an Iphone.

I'm guessing that sounded smarter and "edgier" in your head.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you put it on the internet, it will get out one way or another if someone wants it. Everyone knows this and as such I see no issue here.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

15+ Year Old Account
    If someone is an asset to the company, why does it matter what they do in their personal life so long as it's legal?
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    If someone is an asset to the company, why does it matter what they do in their personal life so long as it's legal?
    Because if you are someone in a position of power and respect within a company, your saturday night hooker philandering and cocaine binge on facebook turns you into a liability.

Because if you are someone in a position of power and respect within a company, your saturday night hooker philandering and cocaine binge on facebook turns you into a liability.
    Where are you from that hookers and cocaine are legal?
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Where are you from that hookers and cocaine are legal?
    That's kind of the point, but it also doesn't stop people from doing either one

15+ Year Old Account

The issue is, in the job market that we have today, I want to ensure that everyone on my staff people are quality. I don't mind if you go out drinking, having a laugh and enjoying yourself, and I don't wish to interfere with that or make any criticisms, but we do it to catch the people that every night are wasted, running around naked or are making abusive comments.

This sort of attitude, whether public or not, will eventually spill out into the work environment...
    My only point of contention with this type of request is the likelihood that you glean personal information on an interview candidate or current employee such as:

-Racial/Ethnic Background
    -Marital/Relationship Status
    -Sexual Orientation
    -Political Views/Affiliation
    -Religious Views
    -Medical and/or Rehab History

These are all things you legally cannot question a candidate about or base a termination of an employee upon without getting yourself into a mess with HR and/or facing a potential lawsuit for unfair hiring practices. Whether such above information was made public in an individual's "About" section in his/her Facebook profile is irrelevant. The aforementioned items are legally hands-off and I would most certainly hope that Facebook does NOT include that in whatever they submit to your company. Unfortunately, given that the general public isn't exactly privy to how such requested information is gathered or the actual extent of said information that is provided by Facebook per request, one simply can't just take you at your word as to what you're basing your decisions upon.

That being said, it doesn't change the fact that people need to be mindful what the hell they put online for others to see. If you're stupid enough to post pictures of yourself at the 7th inning stretch after phoning in sick a few hours earlier you deserve to be fired. If you're stupid enough to put photos of marijuana nuggets all over your page, you deserve NOT to be hired.
    Last edited by Nero Duskwind; 2013-01-28 at 10:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

very good point duskster
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Let's say you're a guy that likes to go out for drinks like clockwork, every friday/saturday night. It never interferes with your job; you're not a drunk. And let's say you're a VP of something pointless or some other upper management type.

And let's say your company, XYZ Global, is in financial trouble, and may be bought out by ZYX International. And you go out drinking that friday/saturday, like normal. And the business press on Monday is all "SENIOR XYZ STAFFER PARTIES THE WEEKEND AWAY WHILE HIS COMPANY COLLAPSES".

Your boss will not be happy with you.

The fact is, a large part of how people are defined is their employment. If someone tells you "I"m a dentist", or "I'm a VP of Marketing", or "Yeah, I'm not working right now, because the labor market's pretty rough, I've got a few feelers out that I'm hoping to hear back on, things will turn around soon", you're making a judgement about that person. The corollary to this is that YOU also define your EMPLOYER. If you behave badly, it reflects badly on them, because they're the kind of people who'd employ someone like you. For most pretty standard stuff, it won't be an issue, but this is why there's always a big uproar when people find out their kid's teacher used to be a stripper or porn star (or still is, on the side). It has nothing to do with their current performance. It still absolutely matters, and that teacher likely got fired. I would agree that, especially in that particular example, it's totally freaking irrelevant and unfair and pointless, but it's still the way the world works.

15+ Year Old Account
    This.

It's a "Perception is Reality" world and a company's collective image becomes associated, for better or worse, with the images of each individual employee. If your escapades are serious enough to make you a PR and/or legal liability, you're going to get the ax.
    Last edited by Nero Duskwind; 2013-01-28 at 10:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    I agree with this completely. If I put something out there in public, it's public and I deserve any fallout that might come from it. But if I lock it away behind privacy settings, then no one other than law enforcement (with proper court orders) should be able to see it without my say-so. The website gives us those tools for a reason, and that reason is not what amounts to tricking us into putting private information up so they can sell it to prospective employers.
    Agreed.

OP, if what you say is true, what you are doing is a breaching of privacy if you check areas of profiles that are restricted. Breaching of privacy is illegal in most countries, and as such if the people would know that you did this they could sue you and win. In a perfect world. In the real world you'd win because more likely you are a big company and as such have more money, enough to put the law aside even when it's against you.