Thread: New build help

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

New build help

Now, I plan to base it mostly off of the Extreme Gaming 4780 build.

Extreme Gaming 4780[TABLE][TR][TD]
    MoBo: ASUS Sabertooth X79$314.99 Review
    CPU: Intel i7 3930k$569.99
    RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x8GB$279.99
    GPU1: EVGA GTX 690$999.99
    GPU2: EVGA GTX 690$999.99
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB (x2) RAID0$399.98
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB - $179.99
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 860W$199.99
    Heatsink: Corsair H100$104.99
    Fans: Corsair SP120 (4)$71.96
    Case: Silverstone TJ11$659.99
    --------------------------------------------------
    Estimated Total Price – $4782[/TD]

Now, I can't afford the 2x690's. However a thing I noticed on the build above this is that it used 2xhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130797 . Would that be preferable over using a single 690?

Also for the case, I'm not a fan of it. I know it's good however I much prefer the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147158 is there any reason not to get that cast instead?

Another note with the heatsink, is there any reason not to get a Corsair H100i? It's on sale for about the same price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there a specific reason you want so much power? Professional video editing (not photoshop, not streaming, actual professional get paid for rendering)
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-01-29 at 02:14 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Is there a specific reason you want so much power? Professional video editing (not photoshop, not streaming, actual professional get paid for rendering)
    I knew this question was coming :P. No, theres no reason that I NEED that much. Much more of a want to not have to upgrade within a good period of time.

Because I would like to get the most out of what your willing to offer so what would you say for me to downgrade?
    Last edited by Vyce223; 2013-01-29 at 02:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyce223 View Post
    Because I would like to get the most out of what your willing to offer so what would you say for me to downgrade?
    It really depends on what you do. Do you just play games? If that's the case, you can easily do with a system of less than half the cost, with about the same performance.

Just to break it down.

i7-3930 has next to no benefit for gaming. That will shave off ~$500 between that and mobo
    32gb ram has no benefit over 8gb. That will shave off $230
    Dual 690s will really not have a 'noticable' benefit over, say, a 680. That will shave off about $1500
    RAID0 on SSD's has no noticable benefit. Just use one. $200
    An 860w PSU isn't needed without the video cards. Honestly a 500w ought to do fine. MAYBE a 600, I'd have to check the power requirements. Either way, a good one can be had for under $100.
    As for the case, it's really just preference. But you don't need a full tower, and you can get a perfectly good case that looks good for like... $500 less.

That said, you can have an equally good performing system for ~$3000 less. Yes, the one you have will benchmark higher, but for gaming and every day use, there will be no practical, real world benefit.

EDIT: I should clarify, before the rabble rousers get in here. Yes, those parts WILL perform better in synthetic benchmarks, however those benchmarks do very little beyond providing you a fancy gif to put in your signature. For gaming, unless other specific purpose is stated, it has no real use and will last you years.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-01-29 at 03:01 AM.

Seems a little bit overkill to me, even with a $2k build you wouldn't have to upgrade for a while.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    While it's not for just gaming I will be doing more intensive things on it... But like I stated in the OP I was for sure going to be downgrading the Video Card from the 2x690 to either a single 690 or the 2x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130797 (is there a public preference from one to the other?). As for the SSD, I did overlook that and didn't plan to get two. I just didn't notice it so thanks for pointing that out.

As for the PSU I do know that. I knew I would end up downgrading from what this is so I figured just keep it what it is at and see at the end.

I would like to keep the I7/mobo and ram honestly though.

EDIT: As for case I linked one in the OP as well that's cheaper, and i prefer it's looks. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I will be doing more intensive things on it..
    Such as? Most things do not benefit from Hyperthreading, thus, the money is wasted.

either a single 690 or the 2x [url]
    Again, you really don't need anything over a 680, really, or a 7970.

I would like to keep the I7/mobo and ram honestly though.
    Why? In truth, the one you picked will actually perform -worse- than the i5.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Such as? Most things do not benefit from Hyperthreading, thus, the money is wasted.

Again, you really don't need anything over a 680, really, or a 7970.

Why? In truth, the one you picked will actually perform -worse- than the i5.
    What Mobo/processor do you reccomend I get then? Same would go with Video card(s).

As for other things I do plan to be rendering videos as well as a bit of editing. I'm not doubting that you do know more than me I'd just like some recommendations of other things as well than just saying X Y Z is wrong if you get what I'm saying.

Why that I7/Mobo Mostly because it's in the sample build that I'm basing the build off of.

10+ Year Old Account
    What Mobo/processor do you reccomend I get then? Same would go with Video card(s).
    i5-3570K and something like an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 or Pro4 board.

An Asus 680 ought to do fine.

Why that I7/Mobo Mostly because it's in the sample build that I'm basing the build off of.
    I honestly don't know why that's on the list there, since it isn't exactly helpful. Unless the goal of the build is "I don't like money". As it says, it's overkill, and it really doesn't give much performance benefit.

As far as video rendering, unless you do it professionally, it's not worth the money to buy a system for it, and that rendering can pay for the hardware. Otherwise, an i5 is certainly powerful enough to do small time stuff.

cpu i would go for the i5 3570k motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX