Thread: New Faction

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sxo View Post
    People like you make me laugh this could work and would be awesome! Tell me one reason why this wouldn't work?
    Because they would have to re-do every battleground, dungeon, and raid in the game to accommodate a third faction? This is a completely unrealistic expectation, especially given that Blizz redid the 1-60 level experience and the overwhelming tide of hate that brought from the "no endgame!!" crowd.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Wouldn't a third faction essentially be Warhammer online?

Here is why you wont see a third faction in wow, it would only split the existing populations in half reducing each factions player base and increasing que times for anything that has a que. Instead of 50/50 split (its never really 50/50 but just stick with me here) it would be 33/33/33, you would pick up a few new/old players but it wouldn't last long.

If Titan is actually a Star Craft MMO then you could pull off a 3 faction game, its something that would have to be instituted from the begining. In order for that to happen they would have to create a way for players to play as a Zerg without them being mindless creatures controlled by a hive mind. They would have to have 'character' and independant thought. They already introduced a high end space villain like the Old Gods so I think if they introduce something where there are more zerg with independance in the zerg army then Titan is most likely a Star Craft MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    No, even 1 on 1. Where does faction 3 start? Do they start in Horde or Alliance base? Is it randomized? Is it being random fair to that faction? Why does faction 3 have to share the art assets while the other factions have unique bases, etc.
    You're over complicating this - take AV or Arathi, for instance. If the third faction queues against Horde, they start in the Alliance base. If the third faction queues against Alliance, they start in the Horde base in terms of position. It wouldn't be that hard to change the art of the base and of the flags.

If you're Horde and queue against the third faction, guess where they start? Not on the Horde side, that's obvious, so there's only one other spawn point for them.

After introducing the new faction, all BGs from that point on could be designed to include three teams.

Deleted
    While I agree with most of the arguments against this idea, the bg arguments seems a bit dimnished by the fact that you already can play bgs starting in the opposing factions base - War Games. When you play for example IoC horde raid vs. horde raid, one of them starts in the alliance base and afaik, they even use night elf glaivethrowers...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    You're over complicating this - take AV or Arathi, for instance. If the third faction queues against Horde, they start in the Alliance base. If the third faction queues against Alliance, they start in the Horde base in terms of position. It wouldn't be that hard to change the art of the base and of the flags.

If you're Horde and queue against the third faction, guess where they start? Not on the Horde side, that's obvious, so there's only one other spawn point for them.

After introducing the new faction, all BGs from that point on could be designed to include three teams.
    1) yes it would

2) so the third faction has to learn both sides stratagies? How is that fair? Because Alliance and Horde do not have the same strats in AV and AB due to the design of the map

3) why do the other factions get actual bases while the third faction gets a recolor?
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Honestly the battleground issues are just the tip of the iceberg here, in fact I'd probably consider them a minor point in the grand scheme of things.

The biggest problem by far is that fact that WoW has been fundamentally designed around the assumption that only the Horde and Alliance are playable. Neutral factions for example were all picked under this assumption, and very few would be willing to work with anyone who was an enemy of both. Some like the Steamweedle Cartel goblins might be willing to do so under some circumstances, but if the new faction is outright genocidal then even they wouldn't work with them. This means the 3rd faction would have basically no access to existing content.

While having players switch their characters over at a high level would remove the technical need for leveling content, it would also mean the 3rd faction would feel tacked on in comparison to the Horde and Alliance.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Maybe founded by the Shado Pan. Who now that the mists are gone have decided to take the other races into trhier fold and help teach the world about the methods of pandaria and peace.

TBH Pandaria opens ALOT up story wise even in the future if you think about it.
    This answers about three of the 16 questions I asked...

People need to stop thinking about BGs, though I agree it's an issue. It's small potatoes compared to the bigger issues involving the world and story of Warcraft
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

Deleted
    Cross faction PvE is about the most outlandish thing I can imagine blizzard doing. Possiby even arenas, but battlegrounds would be pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    1) yes it would

2) so the third faction has to learn both sides stratagies? How is that fair? Because Alliance and Horde do not have the same strats in AV and AB due to the design of the map

3) why do the other factions get actual bases while the third faction gets a recolor?
    1) To change some flag art and stick in a redesigned building? It can't be that much work since they do it constantly when they revamp a zone.

2) And if a player has a Horde and Alliance character, I guess he only needs to learn one side. Makes total sense.

3) First off, the building layout would be the same, just as it would for each faction. Secondly, if they changed/tweaked the architecture it wouldn't just be a simple recolor. Thirdly, seriously? You're superfluously offended by the idea of fairness to this hypothetical third faction. If this is your only grievance with adding a third faction then you need to reevaluate how seriously you play this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    1) To change some flag art and stick in a redesigned building? It can't be that much work since they do it constantly when they revamp a zone.

2) And if a player has a Horde and Alliance character, I guess he only needs to learn one side. Makes total sense.

3) First off, the building layout would be the same, just as it would for each faction. Secondly, if they changed/tweaked the architecture it wouldn't just be a simple recolor. Thirdly, seriously? You're superfluously offended by the idea of fairness to this hypothetical third faction. If this is your only grievance with adding a third faction then you need to reevaluate how seriously you play this game.
    They revamp zones very very rarely. It takes a lot more time to create art assets for WoW than you think. Just look how long it's taking them to make new player models. Plus the creation of new flag art and redesigned buildings pulls artists away from other, more pressing needs (new raids and items).

Besides, you're missing the bigger picture. This isn't just a BG issue. There are tons of reasons besides BGs why a third faction wouldn't work.
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grisset View Post
    This answers about three of the 16 questions I asked...

People need to stop thinking about BGs, though I agree it's an issue. It's small potatoes compared to the bigger issues involving the world and story of Warcraft
    I think i might have answered others you asked in previous posts as well...

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see balancing to that much of a big problem. If they added a new faction, blizzard could simply let you copy & paste your character to the 3rd faction. After a month or so it up you can decide if you want to stay with Alliance/Horde or stay with the 3rd facton, then your previous character on A/H will be deleted and give free transfers for people who want to change immediately for X amount of weeks/months

The only problem then would be everything esle, bgs, grave yards, quests hubs/quests, cities etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Sxo View Post
    Nothing would have to change bg wise they could have it set up that two factions will face each other either horde vs ally , horde vs new faction and vice versa. As far as leveling goes I don't see an issue with this either when players of opposite factions meet up or run into each other while lvl on a pvp server they will fight this would jut add another faction to watch out for and make the game more fun!
    Sooooo if you only go against one opposing faction at a time, wtf is a the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Satanous View Post
    Sooooo if you only go against one opposing faction at a time, wtf is a the point.
    Then make a new 3-way BG. Hell to balance but who cares.

Look at the world wars. Basically, there won't be 3 factions, for alliances quickly happen. Some countries were neutral in those wars, but so are many NPC factions on WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by grisset View Post
    They revamp zones very very rarely. It takes a lot more time to create art assets for WoW than you think. Just look how long it's taking them to make new player models. Plus the creation of new flag art and redesigned buildings pulls artists away from other, more pressing needs (new raids and items).

Besides, you're missing the bigger picture. This isn't just a BG issue. There are tons of reasons besides BGs why a third faction wouldn't work.
    Cataclysm had a revamp of the whole world. Every rehashed dungeon has changes made to it - Look at ZG or the Scarlet Halls/Monestary. Even Scholomance.

They changed Dragonblight in the Hour of Twilight dungeon. End Times changed the dragon shrines as well. Are you honestly telling me that updating an instanced area, WITHOUT terrain changes, but just a graphical change to a building and some flags are that big of an issue?

And if there are tons of reasons, you haven't brought them up. You seem to be stuck on this BG issue.

What other problems do you see coming up from a third faction?

Not feasible to balance. It will never happen.
    Twas brillig

They would have the hardest time doing anything, every alliance and horde character would set targets on you. You would never find raids or Bg's because only like 5% will do this faction and it would be just plain dumb.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!