Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    3d printing becoming widescale and affordable, would be my guess.... one would think that this would revolutionize the way industrial business is carried out.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I don't think the word forfeiture means what you think it means, at least in this context. More on topic, using a mobile device to use GPS, Internet, and a ton of other things, is really a life changing invention for a lot of people. I find it much more important than say, Television, which I don't use.

would love to hear the argument that Television is more important than a smartphone.
    Meh, I wasn't 100% sure what the English word for "Verlust" is, so I had to look it up. Dict.cc offered me 5 different translations and I kinda picked that one at random...

Anyway, I kinda agree with you on the television thing. I didn't turn on my TV in ages now... I use it only to play FIFA on my PS3, that's it.
    It's still more important than smartphones, since (you may now know that) more people own TVs than Smartphones and they use it as their primary source of information.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think the word forfeiture means what you think it means, at least in this context. More on topic, using a mobile device to use GPS, Internet, and a ton of other things, is really a life changing invention for a lot of people. I find it much more important than say, Television, which I don't use.

I would love to hear the argument that Television is more important than a smartphone.

It drastically changed the way we gain information and even interact as a species.

Smartphones merely simplified a preexisting process. The television redefined communication and to some degree what was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I'm talking about something that will make our life fundamentally different.

Inventions of the same category as printing press, cars, trains, planes, lightbulbs, internet, television, GPS...

If I think back in the last 10 years we haven't seen anything really new. Everything just got smaller and faster, some things became hybrids like phone-cameras. However, both were nothing new; phones and cameras both existed before...

I think we've reached a point in which we cannot really invent something completely new which has never been seen before. All we can do now is to work on what we have and refine it to the point that it somehow becomes revolutionizing (Like, hardcore fast 1TB/s internet for example).

I think the next big thing is the self driving car and the 3D printer... but again that's nothing 100% new.

Have we already reached our limits? Your thoughts?
    3-D printing is on its way now. It will cause a third industrial revolution. Among other bizarre impacts, it will eliminate the efficiencies of scale achieved by shipping jobs over seas.

Google an article by the Economist on this. They've written many and they are fascinating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, I wasn't 100% sure what the English word for "Verlust" is, so I had to look it up. Dict.cc offered me 5 different translations and I kinda picked that one at random...

Anyway, I kinda agree with you on the television thing. I didn't turn on my TV in ages now... I use it only to play FIFA on my PS3, that's it.
    It's still more important than smartphones, since (you may now know that) more people own TVs than Smartphones and they use it as their primary source of information.
    Actually i'd hazard without TVs we might not be talking like this right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeusrules View Post
    In the last couple of years we got clould computing ( not fully developed yet) . I think this is quit a big thing.
    You got cloud computing essentially many decades ago when centralized computing / dumb terminals came into being. Cloud computing is the pretty prom queen version, built to remove your rights of ownership as a consumer, and give you back the veil of convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Actually i'd hazard without TVs we might not be talking like this right now.
    Absolutely, but I think the prime times of television are soon over. Internet will become the main source of information for everyone in the near future (once the older generation dies off).

I'd agree on this as well. TV is essentially a 1 way delivery mechanism, while the cell phone is actual communication. Up next? Implantable, completely upgradable cell phone chips. Yes, in you. (well, not you specifically)

Really? And it replaced Radio as a primary source of information, just like Internet (which is accessed more and more via smartphones) are replacing TV as the primary sources of information.

Quote Originally Posted by IRL View Post
    3-D printing is on its way now. It will cause a third industrial revolution. Among other bizarre impacts, it will eliminate the efficiencies of scale achieved by shipping jobs over seas.

Google an article by the Economist on this. They've written many and they are fascinating.
    You mean like sending an image of a product and the 3D printer replicates it? Why even need to buy things from businesses if you can download the plans and print them out...

Interesting thought. Depends on the limitations of 3D printers and the materials they use though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely, but I think the prime times of television are soon over. Internet will become the main source of information for everyone in the near future (once the older generation dies off).
    I still like TV nice for background noise. And even newspapers are nice. Just something about ink and paper that feels so nice.

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 09:27 AM ----------

Really? And it replaced Radio as a primary source of information, just like Internet (which is accessed more and more via smartphones) are replacing TV as the primary sources of information.
    The invention of a VISUAL medium is more what was the game changing aspect. It didn't just improve/modify it reinvented.

The internet did this smart phones for those campaigning for them. They metely merged and shrunk preexisting things.

We've mainly worked lately on making existing things smaller, safer, and more convenient. The technology that used to require a computer the size of a room now fits in the palm of your hand. They could make it smaller, but don't because you wouldn't be able to press the buttons.

Hasn't every one of those inventions really just been extensions of existing ideas though? Cars and trains were new, more efficient horses, television is a more efficient form of entertainment, the printing press was more efficient than having a man manually copy the manuscript repeatedly.

Our new frontier seems to be mainly fueled by our desires, and our desires are entertainment. We'll be seeing video games become cheaper and more popular exponentially as time goes on, maybe even go as far as a brain implant that you can just close your eyes and boot up Mario 64,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    We've mainly worked lately on making existing things smaller, safer, and more convenient. The technology that used to require a computer the size of a room now fits in the palm of your hand. They could make it smaller, but don't because you wouldn't be able to press the buttons.

Hasn't every one of those inventions really just been extensions of existing ideas though? Cars and trains were new, more efficient horses, television is a more efficient form of entertainment, the printing press was more efficient than having a man manually copy the manuscript repeatedly.

Our new frontier seems to be mainly fueled by our desires, and our desires are entertainment. We'll be seeing video games become cheaper and more popular exponentially as time goes on, maybe even go as far as a brain implant that you can just close your eyes and boot up Mario 64,000.

Well yeah...But for people like me bringing things like giant robots into the real world..Or transdimensional travel....manipulation of matter....and various other Hi technologies are TRUE entertainment. I mean just seeing how they even COULD work is fun in and of itself....But sadly alot of people don't seem to think that way. They;re too comfortable in what we have now or obsess over the potential problems with said technology...Heh most humans are no fun...

I think the side that has a friend term me a "Mad Genius" is showing again LOL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_One

Here, enjoy. That is the next big step. I saw a video with a nobel price winner talking about the subject, he looked and talked like it wasen't a Aprils fool kind off joke. It seems like funding is already being looked into, witch is the first step considering how exspensive this is, and why space exploration goes so slow.

Reality TV on Mars gogo! Can you imagine all the commercial money? I bet Coca Cola, Apple/Samsung/Google/Microsoft, car manufactors and oil companies are already inn an open bid-war for commercials.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_One

Here, enjoy. That is the next big step. I saw a video with a nobel price winner, he looked and talked like it wasen't a Aprils fool kind off joke.

Reality TV on Mars gogo! Can you imagine all the commercial money? I bet Coca Cola, Apple/Samsung/Google/Microsoft, car manufactors and oil companies are already inn an open bid-war for commercials.
    OH DEAR GODS NO!

We go to mars i say we go a terraforming if anything. Maybe use the lower gravity for fun and games with tech that would be harder here and so on..Just NOT reality TV i swear if ANYTHING rots brains THAT does.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    OH DEAR GODS NO!

We go to mars i say we go a terraforming if anything. Maybe use the lower gravity for fun and games with tech that would be harder here and so on..Just NOT reality TV i swear if ANYTHING rots brains THAT does.
    Please tell me how you would terraform mars? What are you going to do to it to increase its gravitational force so that it can have an atmosphere with oxygen?

Quote Originally Posted by Syld View Post
    Something that uses this:

Every time I watch that video, I always want a stable wormhole to burst through the ring.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

I'm not entirely sure if you know of this, but in my view it is 3D Printing.

3D Printing allows companies to print directly from a specification the product. Imagine how that would change the world we live in.

No more need to have stuff delivered, you can just get it printed in your home, and then put it together if it is a big item. Shops are then redundant as you can get what you want, when you want it. The money saved from businesses would mean they could ship more products at a higher quality.

One of the other big things about it is organ printing. Taking a few cells of yours, as a foundation and then printing you a whole new kidney when yours fails. Imagine the extension of life that'll bring, and what it means for the medical world.

Also, the big news about this is, it is already happening. A Blood Cell has been 3D Printed and successfully implanted into a Rat. And 3D Printing of items is hue already, as some car companies already are using it in their production line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please tell me how you would terraform mars? What are you going to do to it to increase its gravitational force so that it can have an atmosphere with oxygen?
    Various ways though the gravity never occurred to me...Hmmm gotta be a way...Still isn;t that over half the fun. Trying to figure out how to make the supposedly impossible possible.

Though gravity aside i develop ways to help create a base ozone and utilize plants such as trees to create a breathable atmosphere for humans at least...Although if we discover any indigenous life no matter how basic and rudimentary everything would have to be reconsidered IMO...

But hmmm your point about gravity adds some more fun into it...I wonder....See THIS is what i call fun. Figuring out ways to achieve this sorta thing.

And i should really add "Nothing is impossible merely improbable" to my sig.

That hybrid car which goes on air/gasoline is a good invention imo. Peugeot I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne