Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

HC Raiding + Keyboardturning

Hello all,

Short introduction about myself...
    Heroic Raider (ranged dps) since Vanilla, countless Server Firsts, several top-50 world kills, a plethora of top10 ranks on WoL raid leading, 2500+ rbg rating in all seasons........and....Keyboardturner

Yes, you heard it right..Keyboard-turner all the way.

In the past, I have had some problems with it, which have increased through time...However, my experience and the sacrifice of additional time to plan ahead on encounters (many [MANY] macros), always managed to save my dps, raidspot, guild rank, wol rank etc etc.....

Up until now..MoP changed it all..Stone Guards heroic? Will of the Emperor heroic? Imperial Vizier Zorlok HC attenuation dancing? Garalon N-HC/HC!!!?

In this tier, keyboard-turning just doesnt cut it...Low overall dps, low targeted dps, failure at tactics, many deaths...

I really seem to have reached a dead-end at the moment..I have even considered very seriously the option of quitting raiding (and the game as a whole)..

I would really like to hear your thoughts/ideas/proposals..

(a) Should I select a different class? Is there one more appropriate for keyboard turning? (currently playing a shadowpriest)
    (b) Should I try some new methods? (new macros, new keyboard, whatever)
    (c) Should I try to adapt to mouseturning? If yes, please be more specific as to how because - as you may imagine - it seems very hard for me and that is why I havent done so so far..(I am left-handed, if that makes any difference)

Any comments are welcome - positive, negative, I wouldnt even mind flaming to the extent allowed by the mods. Just to make clear, for anyone doubtful, that this is far from a troll post and feedback from this Community is my final option before quitting (as you may imagine, I am shy to admit to my guildmates or other wow-friends that I keyboard turn). So please: bring it on!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    All I can say to help is unbind the turning keys, bind strafe to A and D, run some LFR or whatever floats your boat. That's the only way I see it happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post
    Mages are balanced. It's just that they aren't balanced for Azeroth.

I don't understand why you've always been a keyboard turner if it took you so much time and effort (macro's, planning ahead, etc). I would suggest trying to adapt to mouse turning and keybinding. If you're willing to spend money, buy yourself a razor naga and you can bind most your spells onto your mouse buttons (you'll get like 18 or something and no, I don't have 1) al though I'm not sure if there is a lefthanded version of the razor naga.

Otherwise I'd suggest trying to get yourself an other mouse with a decent amount of buttons to bind your spells too (suitable for a lefthanded user). You can move your movement keys to your numpad (or elsewhere on your keyboard) so it suits your right hand better for movement. It will take a decent amount of practice to get used to it, but I think you'll be able to adapt!

The other option would be to go healer. Through click+grid (or other UI option) you can easily heal people while binding your strafe keys to A and D (or whichever buttons you use for left and right). Which means you'll only need your mouse when you need to run backwards (backpeddling is a definite no-go!)

Best of luck and I hope you'll be able to pick up on your play in one way or another. It would be a shame to see a dedicated player go just because you can't find a way to make it work for you!

I wonder how many kb turners are like me, right hand on the arrow keys and left hand doing strafe and a zillion key binds.

Because I move with my right hand I can switch to mouse without thinking too hard about it but I really prefer the keyboard. I've played piano since the age of 4 and type 120 wpm so I am kind of comfy on the keys.

It's also easier to play on a laptop this way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm left handed. You need to adapt to mouse turning. It will be a painful grueling process, but you will learn, and you will prosper.

Anyway, unbind the turn/back keys from your keyboard. Leave yourself no option but to use the mouse. And you WILL adapt eventually. You can leave strafe left and right alone, you can do a half turn with the mouse and continue strafing to a side, but you really need to get this down, if you're a melee I have no idea how you've managed to avoid being slapped by your team mates... if you're a ranged it's a bit more understandable I guess.

Practice in Dungeons and scenarios.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Sorry if this is not helpful at all but I don't get how you had no issues before but now Stone Guards or Garalon are giving you trouble?? Vizier dancing I can get but I mean, how did you manage Firelands for example? Raggy, Rhyo or Alys had way more movement and don't stand in fire" than the Doggies or Garalon? Hell, on either fight a ranged dps can stand still and pew pew most of the time o.O
    Last edited by Summer; 2013-01-29 at 06:34 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    How you managed to play as long as you did without learning a basic function is beyond me. I remember keyboard turning when I was new and it was the worst thing ever.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't even know man.

10+ Year Old Account
    It only means that dispite being successfull since vanila you did not do your best. If it matters so much now - try to learn.

It's all about practice!
    Change the layout, use strafes and remove turns from keyboard binds. Start with traveling through the world, then proceed with simple pve action.
    Get used to changing the direction of you char with a mouse, then master you stills with controlling the camera view with a mouse.
    Personaly, most of the time i play on max camera distance set, but when you need to be quick to change it(due to ceilings or tree branches hiding half of your screen) - mouse is the only way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethes View Post
    I don't understand why you've always been a keyboard turner if it took you so much time and effort (macro's, planning ahead, etc). I would suggest trying to adapt to mouse turning and keybinding
    Because he's a masochist with some wrong screws in his head, not a pro/elite..

keyboard turning is so awkward and un fun

just learn to do it the proper way its like trying to drive a car with ur feet its just dumb

Solution: buy a mouse

Well anyways, some practical advice.

I forced myself to quit the clicking a couple years back, however I never really learned to use keyboard binds. Instead I have most stuff bound on the mouse (Naga), with the help of shift and ctrl modifiers, there's enough space for all my nukes and cooldowns. The way I did it was to bind 3-5 main spells first and shape my actionbars to the same grid the Naga buttons are, so just looking at the bar would remind me where they were on the mouse. In the end it went pretty quickly and painlessly though I had dreaded it :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Heroic Raider (ranged dps) since Vanilla, countless Server Firsts, several top-50 world kills, a plethora of top10 ranks on WoL raid leading, 2500+ rbg rating in all seasons........and....Keyboardturner
    Up until now..MoP changed it all..
    You know what's really funny?
    Everytime a thread like this pops out, they are always top 50 players in-game. It's like going to the guitar forums saying:
    Hi guys, I'm John Petrucci, and I can play quite good, but how do I make the pinch harmonics?
    What do I think? You're just a guy who plays the game, you've read a dozen of keyboardturning-drama, and you had the get your back covered. "Atleast I can tell them that I'm better in this game than they are". Played since vanilla, got your first post to mmo-champs now? Uh-huh.
    And how has the pvp changed in MoP? RBG's have been the same since they came out in cata. Not to mention raids. I'm not a HC raider, got plain 0 server firsts, but I can without a doubt say that NONE of the new bosses really aren't any harder/easier to keyboard turn than what they have been since HC's came out.
    Sorry, had to vent because goddamnit irrelevant trashtalk.

On topic: Unbind the moving from your keys, start doing PvP with mouse turning and keybinds. Nothing teaches you better reaction times than the spinning melee around you, blinking mages and rolling pandas.
    Last edited by Cuppy; 2013-01-29 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Grammar yo
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

well if serious, try to start using your mouse.

And if u really were a keybord turner, your pals would notice and would have kicked you long time ago, mr "i keyboard turn away from defile and shadowtraps and lunatic gaze and so"..

Only reason i could see where keyboard turning could work, is beeing a spriest and using mindflay as it turns your char to the mob you are targetting. But this still make every boss on hc progression where slight movement is asked kill you instantly.
    Last edited by Holofernes; 2013-01-29 at 08:51 AM.

Deleted
    Should you even ask about this? I don't know if this is serious, but whatever. Just right click your mouse and turn, unbind the turn keys if it helps you. It should take you about 30 seconds to get used to this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethes View Post
    I don't understand why you've always been a keyboard turner if it took you so much time and effort (macro's, planning ahead, etc). I would suggest trying to adapt to mouse turning and keybinding. If you're willing to spend money, buy yourself a razor naga and you can bind most your spells onto your mouse buttons (you'll get like 18 or something and no, I don't have 1) al though I'm not sure if there is a lefthanded version of the razor naga.

Otherwise I'd suggest trying to get yourself an other mouse with a decent amount of buttons to bind your spells too (suitable for a lefthanded user). You can move your movement keys to your numpad (or elsewhere on your keyboard) so it suits your right hand better for movement. It will take a decent amount of practice to get used to it, but I think you'll be able to adapt!

The other option would be to go healer. Through click+grid (or other UI option) you can easily heal people while binding your strafe keys to A and D (or whichever buttons you use for left and right). Which means you'll only need your mouse when you need to run backwards (backpeddling is a definite no-go!)

Best of luck and I hope you'll be able to pick up on your play in one way or another. It would be a shame to see a dedicated player go just because you can't find a way to make it work for you!
    I can confortably use 6 + 1 a bit stretched on my Naga.

I for one am glad the fights require more on the spot thinking and not just stack and nuke, move a bit and repeat. I don't understand how you realistically raided without mouse turning...
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

only movement key you should unbind is move backwards. thats if you feel like proving how great you are

Quote Originally Posted by Tauren View Post
    keyboard turning is so awkward and un fun

just learn to do it the proper way its like trying to drive a car with ur feet its just dumb
    Feet are more important to driving than hands are, steering wheel you can use your knees.

OT: Only time I keyboard turn is in the opposite direction to strafing, so QD or EA, which gives a nice circling motion which is handy for fights like Vizier to maintain full rotations. Also its handy for tanking to round up mobs into a tight pack for optimal cleave/aoe
    Never argue with and idiot. They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Some people should be forced to re-level their toons, and pay more attention to the process...

Quote Originally Posted by Edds View Post
    only movement key you should unbind is move backwards. thats if you feel like proving how great you are
    As a tank player I disagree.