Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I too am a Keyboard turner, for the most part (180 turns i use mouse). The problem i have w/ using the mouse to turn is that once you press and hold a button on the mouse, you are not able to select a target. I use tab-targeting quite a bit, but in the occasion you need precise selection while turning, what option do you have? If I'm missing something, please help me.

I'm no means a hardcore raider, but I'm always looking to improve as well. Best of luck OP.

The only way to become truly good at movement is to know the right times to use keyboard and the right times to use the mouse. With that said I do think the only way you will get used to the mouse is to unbind your keyboard keys for a few days and get used to using just the mouse. Then once you realise the times where mouse turning gives an advantage you can hopefully adjust to using both.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edds View Post
    only movement key you should unbind is move backwards. thats if you feel like proving how great you are
    There is no point of having such wonderfull binds as "Q" and "E" to strafe, just hold the right mousebutton down and A-D, bind ctrl,shift and normal Q+E - 6 sweet binds

For PvE raiding and rbg's keyboardturning isn't that big of a problem. Sure it isn't optimal, sure you lose performance yet an experienced player can cover most of those gaps with tactical positioning and experience.

You will almost never outperform a player of equal skill/experience though that plays with keybinds. That being said though you can definitely perform at a competitive level for 95% of the guilds and rbg teams.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to switch to key bindings slowly btw because you should and it will make your life way easier.
    Last edited by MarizzaDraenor; 2013-01-29 at 11:54 AM.

Nice troll post, kinda weak but nice. Armory and logs please.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Nice troll post, kinda weak but nice. Armory and logs please.
    Not necessarily. He does mention he plays a ranged class the are by default easier for keyboard turners compared to melee dps'ers.

Eh it's PvE, it never really has mattered much and still won't, throwing in rankings and rbgs is pretty useless when it comes to the easier things in the game when you're trying to relate to skill.

But in regards to actually getting off of keyboard turning, you''re going to have to keybind all the abilities you need to use. Which is the much harder case, as a result of having to know all of your keybinds and making sure you can reach them all in a timely manner. You're going to want to just go back to clicking, many many times. Just push past it, and keep going with keybinds. Perhaps go through it a little slower, day by day new keybinds to learn until you have all you need down.
    Last edited by Rainmunin; 2013-01-29 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post
    Not necessarily. He does mention he plays a ranged class the are by default easier for keyboard turners compared to melee dps'ers.
    Well 2 pages inn and he didnt replie back, even trough he got serious posters that did try and help.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

You know it's a lot easier to learn how to turn with the mouse than it is to compete as a keyboard turner (preparation, macros etc.)

Edit: I'm left-handed too, though as someone who's used their right hand for the mouse all their life it's really no problem.
    Last edited by fishface; 2013-01-29 at 12:44 PM.

Deleted
    Getting curious about seeing some logs and an armory link tbh.

Sounds like a troll. This thread.

First of all, shadow priest dps on the move is abysmal You can only spam SW:P and only until your mana is getting low. Hence on fights like garalon or zorlok your dps will be lower than you would expect.
    On the other hand, this means that while you do move you only have to use one additional key (your SW:P). In my opinion, if you learn to use your right mouse button with movement keys, binding strafe is pointless. Try it out: press your right mouse button and start moving around with your left and right keys (A and D, or others of your choice). When you feel comfortable with that add the dps key to it. This means: hand on right mouse button, one finger on a direction key and another finger tapping SW:P. If you get a MS or MB proc while on the move, no disaster will happen if you don't use it straight away, but being able to cast them too should probably be your next goal.
    There is no way around it in my opinion; you need to be able to turn and strafe with your mouse, since more and more things in WoW will be able to be done on the move.

10+ Year Old Account
    I keyboard turned and clicked to gladiator. Once I started keybinding and mouse turning I never looked back. It was so blatantly ineffective to key board turn and click I was shocked for so long I thought it made no difference which Is why I was so reluctant to switch for so long. Take the time to learn to do it a better way and you will be pleased with the results.

Made by dubbelbasse

Keyboard turning isn't that bad. It depends on your role. Ranged DPS can kind of get away with it unless an enemy runs right through you. Healers can get away with it too, there's no directional requirement for heals. Very few bosses have required you to turn fast. Through all of Wrath, the only one that needed me to use my mouse to turn was Sindragosa.

If you want to change, try a melee character for a bit. The fast turning needed to keep on mobs (because you'll pretty much always run through them due to lag) will break you of your habit.

Just get used to playing with the mouse, you'll never go back.
    But I don't get something, have you never played an FPS? In FPS games it's pretty obvious why using the mouse is better than anything, the same principle applies to WoW, even if you don't have to aim to shoot, you still have to be facing mobs to be able to cast and selecting your target with the mouse will always be faster and more precise than tabing until you get the right target.

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 02:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Keyboard turning isn't that bad. It depends on your role. Ranged DPS can kind of get away with it unless an enemy runs right through you. Healers can get away with it too, there's no directional requirement for heals. Very few bosses have required you to turn fast. Through all of Wrath, the only one that needed me to use my mouse to turn was Sindragosa.

If you want to change, try a melee character for a bit. The fast turning needed to keep on mobs (because you'll pretty much always run through them due to lag) will break you of your habit.
    Yeah it's not required, but if you want to be faster at target switching and general movement, you're better off using a mouse.
    Last edited by kouby; 2013-01-29 at 01:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I've heard many arguments for use of the WASD keys for movement when I've told people that I move and turn with my mouse, but it's how I got used to playing and I've never had any issues with it.

I'm not left-handed so I can't speak in that regard, however, I'd suggest a multi-button gaming mouse (like a Logitech G600) or a gaming keypad like the Razer Nostromo. I don't personally have one, but my significant other plays with a gaming keypad in his left hand and a G600 in his right hand (as a fury warrior) and he seems to have much better movement and control than I can get with my mouse alone. Gaming keypad has buttons for macros, a space bar and a mini joystick for movement.

bind A and D to strafe left and right. turn the sensitivity on your mouse way, way up. just practice.

have you ever played a fps? this thread is lol

love, a left handed mouse turner since 2005

I tanked for the longest time keyboard turning ( BC-Cata ), in late Cata i switched to mouse turning and haven't looked back.

Deleted
    Comparing mastering art of guitar playing to world of warcraft is an insult. It takes usually atleast a decade to have anykind of proper skill with guitar if we are talking world class virtuosos. You can be world best wow player withing a year or two if you put your mind to it and im saying two years just because top guilds usually dont take people if they have no prior experience of previous content so that requires playing atleast one expansion through. But yeah, wow is nothing to compared to arts of playing an musical instrument which actually takes some raw talent too to be the best of the best.

Just unbind a and d.
    N

10+ Year Old Account
    If this is a real post you need to just force yourself to use the mouse to turn, no way around it. Quitting or buying items to try and get around it is ridiculous. Since that's your first post ever and you haven't replied I'm not so sure you're serious. I also don't really believe people saying they clicked and keyboard turned to ridiculously high ratings etc. Your speed and awareness goes to shit when you tunnel your buttons and click abilities.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy