Page 1 of 2
LastLast

addon to track party member's latency

as the title states I am looking for, if available, a means of tracking party member latency.

i feel that at times players are being less than honest conserning thier crappy conection to the game and the adverse impact it has on raids.

it kind of came to a head tonight on ambershaper when we were smooth for the most part but when a certain individual was in his construct he would ALWAYS miss his interupt. this was survivable as it was the other tank and only the small explosions. our last pull our melee dps got turned second in phase two, he is generally dependable so i breathed a sigh of relief knowing he would not let us down, just before he failed to interupt the monstrosity wiping the raid. there was silence for some time after he was questioned how he could possibly have not pressed his one button then eventually he admitted his connection was crap tonight.

I would like the ability to screen my players more thouroughly by taking their ability to be disshonest out of the equation.

is this possible and if so what is the name of the addon?

thanks.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

This would be awesome. In the past for this scenario, I asked why they kept missing it. The only viable answer to this question would be that "my latency is too high". I can work with this if I like the raider enough.

If it's any other BS answer, they get the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    This would be awesome. In the past for this scenario, I asked why they kept missing it. The only viable answer to this question would be that "my latency is too high". I can work with this if I like the raider enough.

If it's any other BS answer, they get the boot.
    I am actually working on being more pro-active with the boot. I am honestly tired of even dealing with players on sub standard systems or playing from a hyjacked starbucks wi fi.

Prob can't in wow but if you've got mod access in vent/mumble you might be able to check their ping to the server.

Well, sometimes it is true. Many players have been having latency issues starting this month - and some of it is issues with Blizzards ISP, AT&T. Really wish there was an add-on to be able to do such things, but I'm almost positive it doesn't exist. You really just have to be able to have members you can trust with telling the truth about connection issues and other things.

This can't be done in-game, but you can run a continuous ping at their IP alongside the game.
    or you could just not be such a control freak that your fellow raiders have a fear of being honest...
    Last edited by lawomous; 2013-01-29 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tordenflesk View Post
    This can't be done in-game, but you can run a continuous ping at their IP alongside the game.
    or you could just not be such a control freak that your fellow raiders have a fear of being honest...
    it has to do with dishonesty holding back progression.

there should also be on fear involved. it they are incapable of filling their role in a raid group there are many social guilds that will have them.
    Last edited by lawomous; 2013-01-29 at 05:00 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm fairly sure you can't make an addon to track other peoples latency. What might work tho or a possibility tho might be to have everyone, in your raid, run an addon to track their latency then share the result with others running the same addon.

This is probably something that can be done with Ora3... I think. Haven't used the addon, but I believe its an addon that requires all member in party to work. The addon sends information from player to player via the addon.

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't actually need to be oRa3, Puerto. Any addon (that has his function or may be written for this purpose) would be able to do this but all your members would have to run it so the data can be sent to you. It's not possible to obtain their latency data otherwise.

And this method would still boil down to trust issues. Someone who knows his way around LUA might edit his copy to always send you a value that is within acceptable range even if it's untrue. If such an addon existed, I would go as far as saying that someone will write a "counter-addon" that will do exactly that.

Basically, you have trust issues either way since you could never be sure the data you receive has not been falsified. I would recommend looking to solve those trust issues another way.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post
    It wouldn't actually need to be oRa3, Puerto. Any addon (that has his function or may be written for this purpose) would be able to do this but all your members would have to run it so the data can be sent to you. It's not possible to obtain their latency data otherwise.

And this method would still boil down to trust issues. Someone who knows his way around LUA might edit his copy to always send you a value that is within acceptable range even if it's untrue. If such an addon existed, I would go as far as saying that someone will write a "counter-addon" that will do exactly that.

Basically, you have trust issues either way since you could never be sure the data you receive has not been falsified. I would recommend looking to solve those trust issues another way.
    In fact, this happened quite regularly with GearScore - there was at least one addon that modified the returns and reported a MUCH higher gearscore than you actually had.

Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post

I love how often people feel compelled to end their opinion in some form of insult rather than just be helpful or keep it to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    I love how often people feel compelled to end their opinion in some form of insult rather than just be helpful or keep it to themselves.
    How in the everliving fuck did you perceive that as an insult? Short is that it would require a lot of compliance from your raiders to get it. Likely not.

"Basically, you have trust issues either way since you could never be sure the data you receive has not been falsified. I would recommend looking to solve those trust issues another way."

Was not asking to talk to Dr. Phil. asked a simple question conserning the possibility of an addon.

"Basically, you have trust issues either way since you could never be sure the data you receive has not been falsified. I would recommend looking to solve those trust issues another way."

Was not asking to talk to Dr. Phil. asked a simple question conserning the possibility of an addon.
    It's an alternative and Viable Solution. Raid leader to raid leader here, you need to be able to trust your raiders. Make them understand that they need to remove themselves if they can't meet your expectations.

Lol, if you start booting people from the raid, after tracking their internet connection, expect to loose alot of members shortly after. People seem to forget that this is still a game, and not some life dependant irl battle. Seriously, if my guild master, of raid leader kicked someone from the raid simply because he didn't think that their connection was good enough tonight, I would /gquit instantly. (Obviously replacing someone that is offline due to connection 90% of the time is something completly different) But using addons etc to controll peoples connection? Hello Mr Dictator.

Quote Originally Posted by wolphe View Post
    Lol, if you start booting people from the raid, after tracking their internet connection, expect to loose alot of members shortly after. People seem to forget that this is still a game, and not some life dependant irl battle. Seriously, if my guild master, of raid leader kicked someone from the raid simply because he didn't think that their connection was good enough tonight, I would /gquit instantly. (Obviously replacing someone that is offline due to connection 90% of the time is something completly different) But using addons etc to controll peoples connection? Hello Mr Dictator.
    No, its serious. Its a game but that gives you no right to waste other peoples time. If you set up a raid time and some jackass is wasting your time hoping for you to carry them and their lag its unfair and a waste of time. It's a game but it's also how you spend your time.

10+ Year Old Account
    as the title states I am looking for, if available, a means of tracking party member latency.

i feel that at times players are being less than honest conserning thier crappy conection to the game and the adverse impact it has on raids.

it kind of came to a head tonight on ambershaper when we were smooth for the most part but when a certain individual was in his construct he would ALWAYS miss his interupt. this was survivable as it was the other tank and only the small explosions. our last pull our melee dps got turned second in phase two, he is generally dependable so i breathed a sigh of relief knowing he would not let us down, just before he failed to interupt the monstrosity wiping the raid. there was silence for some time after he was questioned how he could possibly have not pressed his one button then eventually he admitted his connection was crap tonight.

I would like the ability to screen my players more thouroughly by taking their ability to be disshonest out of the equation.

is this possible and if so what is the name of the addon?

thanks.
    It's impossible, you'd have to be at their house (which by the looks of it you're close to doing it) and see for yourself.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    Quit the insults.

If you keep having people "waste your time", then simply replace them or bench them for a week. there are usually enough raiders on any halfway decent server to replace them with.