Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    What I really find depressing is all of these kids I run into who have college degrees, and they are about as anti-intellectual as they come. They have absolutely no interest in discussing any highbrow topic. They talk about getting drunk, tattoos, partying, and nothing else. They are constant screwups and don't care.

There's this one 28 year old woman with a degree I have to interact with regularly. Tattoos all over, she dates convicts, she is like "eeewww" when discussing anything intellectual. She doesn't do her job well, either. She goofs off constantly. But, she has a degree. I have nothing, nothing in common with this woman.
    While people like me don't enjoy drinking or partying/clubbing, would rather discuss various topics ranging from science, politics and the human race and where it's going to media i enjoy as well as postulating all manner of things.

Yet i lack a degree and may never get one....Really is an interesting point....Could it be college has become so "mainstrem" that it is now at least in some areas actually against intelligence...For lack of a better term..Hmmm fascinating idea you've given me...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hisholyness View Post
    We smart people see the world differently, and that makes us different than other people and isolates us.
    Isolation makes us crazy.
    You don't know you're above average until you're in a situation where you've got to fight like a man, stay isolated and you don't know where you are. There are brainy people out there shopping in the pound shops putting on a facade like the rest of us.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you know you are right, and everyone else is wrong, but everyone else thinks they're right and they think that you are wrong and there is no way to convince them otherwise...

Would make me go nuts if I had to live with that constantly, for sure.

But I actually have it on paper that I am mentally sane, so HA!
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    When you know you are right, and everyone else is wrong, but everyone else thinks they're right and they think that you are wrong and there is no way to convince them otherwise...
    I'm no psychologist but that must be a basis for insanity. Like when you are trained for a new job you are taught all the right procedures for doing things but when you actually start you find everyone does things their own way anyway and they tell you you're doing it wrong even though you know you're right. Then you start doing things their way, the wrong way in order to fit in and you dumb yourself down.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    If you look back through history at famous poets, artists, mathematicians, writers, and physicists you would realize nearly all of them suffered from mental disorders, yet they accomplished astonishing things.

Why are these two polar opposites seemingly linked so deeply?
    They arent, there is no "genius" there is simply 'dedication" and "obsession"
    The only thing that separates a jersey shore idiot from a genius is his/her interests and the time they spend doing something.

All brains are pretty much alike, they are shaped by the persons life however.
    Mental disorder people usually have very little to relate with other people and as such they tend to be a bit more secluded, which makes their hobbies/interests/passions turn into learning and understanding, turning them into great scientists many times.

And then you have the closest thing to a real "genius" which are people suffering from some sort of autism, which basically rewires their brain from a multi tasking computer to a very focused one, making them meh at almost anything but exceptionally good at a certain area, beyond levels of what even obsessed people can go.

Quoting our favorite "genius"

It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
    Albert Einstein

Everyone has the same potential, interests vary, some people simply dont give a crap about looking intelligent or spending time with things that dont interest them, many of them are quite good, even geniuses at the things they do however, if they do it with passion and obsession.
    Most people however are uninterested in most things, they have no real passion, no real interest, so they dont reach their potentials.

This is however, going to be contradicted by a lot of people, usually people who consider themselves very intelligent and use it as a badge of honour, so they refuse to acknowledge that even jersey shore cast could be as intelligent as them if they cared about it as much as he/she does.

All a matter of interests, all a matter of caring, all a matter of obsession *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post

This is however, going to be contradicted by a lot of people, usually people who consider themselves very intelligent and use it as a badge of honour, so they refuse to acknowledge that even jersey shore cast could be as intelligent as them if they cared about it as much as he/she does.
    Dunning-Kruger effect right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.[1]
    Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. David Dunning and Justin Kruger conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others".[2]
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Hisholyness View Post
    We smart people see the world differently, and that makes us different than other people and isolates us.

Isolation makes us crazy.
    Im not alone. I have my trusty leprechaun Sparky. He sometimes tell me to burn things. I mostly don't listen to him.

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 08:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    But how do i knows if i haz the smarts then!?

Deleted
    I feel alone even when I am with other humans. Genius?? nah, just a thick weirdo being a burden on society!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Yeah pretty much why i realize i'm a bit of an idiot in areas outside of my personal interests and even in em. I'm just surrounded by easily impressed individuals it seems LOL.

Because both are misunderstood
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Deleted
    Dunno if I am bad or just mad? :/

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Yeah pretty much why i realize i'm a bit of an idiot in areas outside of my personal interests and even in em. I'm just surrounded by easily impressed individuals it seems LOL.
    *insert joke about alaska*

It is believe that Newton, Einstein, Mozart and many other big names in science and art had aspergers syndrome, hence their specialization in certain, but narrow, fields of expertise.

Yes... the more you know and understand the more you doubt and less assured you are of yourself... the more you listen to other ideas and sometimes out tracked...

Only a fool can be a zealot, as they have a certainty that is not possible without ignorance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Yes... the more you know and understand the more you doubt and less assured you are of yourself... the more you listen to other ideas and sometimes out tracked...

Only a fool can be a zealot, as they have a certainty that is not possible without ignorance.
    And this is the reason i doubt my being an idiot LOL. Circular logic at it's finest.

Oh and crack jokes about alaska we DO have a fair number of idiots....But at least we respect rights and individual libert better than most places.

You don't even have to be a genius to run into this issue. Even being only somewhat above average intelligence will result in variety of social issues as you have trouble fitting in and communicating with others.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow." I think it holds true to some degree and could be a contribution to madness.

At the same time, some of your brightest minds were autistic, high intelligence can often be associated with savant syndrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histori...dered_autistic
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

Because if your IQ is higher you're more likely to have some kind of social disorder.

There is a lot of nasty truth out there. Some concepts don't really weigh on you unless you truly understand them - for example, you might read a figure describing the size of the known universe, but most people won't get close to actually grasping the meaning of such a large space. Someone who did, a genius, would be struck by the reality of our insignificance in a way that others wouldn't. That's just an example, but it applies to just about everything. Understanding can haunt a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimfrost View Post
    Because if your IQ is higher you're more likely to have some kind of social disorder.
    its the reverse, because you have a social disorder you refuge yourself in non social activities which in turn will train your brain towards a specific type of work which will make you better than anyone else at it.

In the end, EVERYTHING in life is about only one thing, repetition and training.
    The edge in "iq" is not biological, it is due to training and years of learning/thinking.

There are some biological components but they are minor, they are what will make a gold medal winner and a silver medal winner, they are enough to give you an edge but not enough to make an actual difference.
    Aside from the autism spectrum, which again, it is a rewiring of the brain which focuses almost all its resources into a specific area, neglecting all others.