Page 1 of 2
LastLast

PVP is not dying because..

I think it is safe to say that the social aspect of WOW is one of the good reasons to play it. Most people complain about LFD,LFR and any kind of Queue system because of this.

Currently in game there is no "Looking for arena" or "Looking for Rated Battleground" queue system. So I can't help but think that this casues PVP players to become more loyal to the game and have more fun, despite all the PVP balance issues that the game has like.. all the time.

Any opinions on this?

Edit: This is supposed to be a discussion about the social aspect in wow, thats why its not in the PVP forums.
    Last edited by Rorschachs; 2013-03-02 at 05:29 PM.

Remove RBGs and Arena, bring back old pvp titles for normal BGs. Everyone then queue only for normal BGs or do world pvp. Problem solved.

Or it causes them to quit because they are treated like second class citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    Remove RBGs and Arena, bring back old pvp titles for normal BGs. Everyone then queue only for normal BGs or do world pvp. Problem solved.
    eeeeeh, no.

I vaguely recall crazy competition to keep your titles. I think I got rank 8 or 9 (Knight-Champion? - Alliance) and I played a LOT.

Deleted
    yeah, and say byebye to all the subscribers who only play to do arenas.

Hell no! Arena is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    I vaguely recall crazy competition to keep your titles. I think I got rank 8 or 9 (Knight-Champion? - Alliance) and I played a LOT.
    A lot of people (including myself) shared accounts to keep rank because the competition was absolutely bonkers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Other games have organized pvp that gives rewards, so I don't think that is why PvP players stay with WoW.

I really think it is just because Blizzard has created a combat system which no other game can top. It's fast, it has incredible depth, it is incredibly responsive. It's the Call of Duty of MMO combat. It works on a level beyond it's competition. Due to my hatred of the jackasses running WoW and their terrible balancing choices every season I have played every other MMO on the market, and really they all suck when it comes to the actual combat.

The biggest contenders:

Guild Wars 2 had me playing a warrior where I have to switch weapons every 15s or only have 3 attack abilities, and then with my preferred weapon, 2h sword, the abilities are really fucking stupid. Cant move channeled cast melee ability stupid! Oh and one of the buttons on each class is fucking auto attack, they only give you 5 buttons per weapon and 1 is always auto attack, thinking up 5 abilities was too hard for Arena Net.

SWTOR which is so dam slow and unresponsive and the class abilities seemed designed around making everything as tedious as possible. Then they have their whole, NO AUTO ATTACK thing, which you find out in game is actually 10x worse then auto attack as they made auto attack active and bound it to right click and force it into your class rotations.

Rift with its gigantically fucked up class system and just tired ass design. Oh and giving everyone a pet tree, because what everyone really wants is to be forced into having a fucking pet.

WoW PvP won't die because all the other MMO developers are too stupid to create a combat system that can match it.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    That would be a terrible idea. Arena, Open World and Old School BGs can co-exist with each other.

---------- Post added 2013-03-02 at 05:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    Those who had a lot of time on their hands got really high, it was just farming. Of course winning was essential but it wasn't based off of ''skill'' to be quite honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschachs View Post
    Currently in game there is no "Looking for arena" or "Looking for Rated Battleground" queue system.
    There is no LFA LFRBG for an obvious reason. Just delete your thread.

If they brought back ranks for world kills outside of instanced PvP, it'd drum up a lot more people willing to participate in world PvP. World PvP is really the best for of PvP for community, but there are just not that many people who want to do world PvP though.

Quote Originally Posted by runedhill View Post
    There is no LFA LFRBG for an obvious reason. Just delete your thread.
    I am not questioning why there is no LFA or LFRBG. It obviously wouldn't work, you are missing the point..

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    If they brought back ranks for world kills outside of instanced PvP, it'd drum up a lot more people willing to participate in world PvP. World PvP is really the best for of PvP for community, but there are just not that many people who want to do world PvP though.
    It depends what you would call as World PvP, with CZR you will always see over 20+ people in outland or at the black portal, Mount hyjal is also really crowded by level 90's ganking lows

Quote Originally Posted by Hjelpen View Post
    It depends what you would call as World PvP, with CZR you will always see over 20+ people in outland or at the black portal, Mount hyjal is also really crowded by level 90's ganking lows
    Unfair fights and ganking is pretty much what makes up world PvP. That's why a lot of people don't do it. People reminisce about the TM/SS fights, but a lot of that consisted of seeing your World Defense channel spamming, showing up, getting killed until more people showed up, outnumbering the enemy and finally killing them a few times, waiting for them to rez once a) more of their side showed up, or b) you got bored and left.

Some people love that sort of thing, a lot don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    World PvP just turns into who has the bigger mob, and on the servers where World PvP is popular, like KJ, the bigger mob ends up lagging out the server and DCing everyone.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

PvP is not dying because in a week everybody and their mother will be farming and botting honor to get 476 ilvl on their alts.

PvP's demise is as a result of 2 things... one being obvious the other obvious to me but not often mentioned

1) too much cc/silence/stun etcetc (the obvious and most spoken pvp infraction)
    2) THE ABILITY OF NON HEALING SPECS TO HEAL...when you have warriors as an example doing shit tons of heals along with insane damage stuns and mobility you have your current pvp woe's.

3) Solution. In arena's Healer's heal and the DPS well you guessed it DPS. Remove the abilities of the classes when loaded into arena instances problem solved. Then you'll see the real skill in PvP crawl back into WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Other games have organized pvp that gives rewards, so I don't think that is why PvP players stay with WoW.

I really think it is just because Blizzard has created a combat system which no other game can top. It's fast, it has incredible depth, it is incredibly responsive. It's the Call of Duty of MMO combat. It works on a level beyond it's competition. Due to my hatred of the jackasses running WoW and their terrible balancing choices every season I have played every other MMO on the market, and really they all suck when it comes to the actual combat.

The biggest contenders:

Guild Wars 2 had me playing a warrior where I have to switch weapons every 15s or only have 3 attack abilities, and then with my preferred weapon, 2h sword, the abilities are really fucking stupid. Cant move channeled cast melee ability stupid! Oh and one of the buttons on each class is fucking auto attack, they only give you 5 buttons per weapon and 1 is always auto attack, thinking up 5 abilities was too hard for Arena Net.

SWTOR which is so dam slow and unresponsive and the class abilities seemed designed around making everything as tedious as possible. Then they have their whole, NO AUTO ATTACK thing, which you find out in game is actually 10x worse then auto attack as they made auto attack active and bound it to right click and force it into your class rotations.

Rift with its gigantically fucked up class system and just tired ass design. Oh and giving everyone a pet tree, because what everyone really wants is to be forced into having a fucking pet.

WoW PvP won't die because all the other MMO developers are too stupid to create a combat system that can match it.
    I was actually hoping for Forge, but no, didnt do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschachs View Post
    I am not questioning why there is no LFA or LFRBG. It obviously wouldn't work, you are missing the point..
    What? Why wouldn't LFRBG work? It would work if Blizzard wants it to. It would work if personal ratings could be determined by personal merit, players who are better at helping coordinate teams, or complete objectives would get higher ratings while people who don't do anything but become lambs to the slaughter are at a lower rating. This is in fact what was initially planned for RBG's (random queueing) but was scrapped because "it wouldn't work" even though it was clearly spelled out how it WOULD work.

Fact of the matter is Blizzard really doesn't care to hoots about balancing PvP. And thus PvP IS a dwindling aspect of the game (any charts showing any type of pvp representation will show this to be the case). The type of balance changes Blizzard makes never fixes anything. We haven't had a season where 2 specs of most non-hybrid classes can be gladiator viable since s8. Exploits, cheating, win trading, carries are more common than ever. Botting makes the thing that MOST players can enjoy with little effort an even greater pain (random bgs).

---------- Post added 2013-03-02 at 06:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Frostful View Post
    PvP's demise is as a result of 2 things... one being obvious the other obvious to me but not often mentioned

1) too much cc/silence/stun etcetc (the obvious and most spoken pvp infraction)
    2) THE ABILITY OF NON HEALING SPECS TO HEAL...when you have warriors as an example doing shit tons of heals along with insane damage stuns and mobility you have your current pvp woe's.

3) Solution. In arena's Healer's heal and the DPS well you guessed it DPS. Remove the abilities of the classes when loaded into arena instances problem solved. Then you'll see the real skill in PvP crawl back into WoW.
    I'd argue that in the current pvp meta-game, there's no longer a use for healers besides prolonging matches and making them all around obnoxious. If healers weren't such a heavy presence in rbg's and arenas, then burst could easily be FAR more easily balanced to allow for a more reactionary game that doesn't require ridiculous cc chains and people dropping dead in under 4 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15