Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Wind Lord 1st phase aoe question

Hello!

My guild has only recently started working on normal difficulty Wind Lord, and from the couple of nights I got to spend on tries, I am not happy with my performance on that particular boss, and was wondering if there would be any tips you could give me.

My armory link, if it's of any help http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nghim/advanced

I'm currently running as frost for that encounter, as I was under the impression that it has the highest AOE capability, however during 1st phase I am averaging only around 115-120k dps, while other members of my raid team (namely hunter, feral and spriest) are pulling 130-140k.

The rotation I am using is -
    (Invocation and Icy Veins)
    Frozen Orb on cooldown
    Frost Bomb on cooldown
    Flamestrike on cooldown
    Blizzard as a filler

I have read on other guides that Arcane Explosion is supposedly better than Blizzard, however I am one of the people assigned to spear throwing, and I'm not sure if the movement involved to get from the adds to be in range of the spear throw would still be a dps gain in comparison to just standing still and freecasting Blizzard?

I have also played around with using my (Icelance glyphed) FoF and BF procs instead of Blizzard, but I think my overall dps in p1 doesn't go much higher than 110k in those attempts.

So, any tips would be appreciated. Is there something I could do to improve my frost AOE damage on that encounter? Or are other specs even better than Frost atm on that fight?

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you serious? Go fire on that fight.

Logs from our fire Mage doing 400k on that fight (heroic, but still, he knows what he is doing )
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/e...=13152&e=13384
    Last edited by Celar; 2013-01-29 at 09:38 AM.
    3 manning all Challenge Modes on GOLD! - Youtube.com/MyCelar

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody in the top parses for Frost use Blizzard. Rarely is Flamestrike used.

Frost has good AoE burst. That's pretty much it tho :P

Fire > all on windlord, but having said that it's not much of a dps race, more of a "interrupt and don't stand in bombs" fight.

Reson that fire mage is so high on hc is that the boss gets a 600% dmg increse buff when a pack of adds go down and the adds respawn until the boss dies so you aoe like crazy the whole fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could certainly be doing a lot more dps in your gear as frost.

Don't use arcane explosion as frost. ever.

Stop using flamestrike and blizzard on the fight and just stick with the standard single target rotation. It seems like a good fight to use aoe but it really isn't worth it.

Frost has plenty of dps for the fight and once you get the mechanics down you shouldn't have much trouble as its a pretty easy fight. Just make sure all the adds die at once and in the 2nd phase make sure no-one detonates wind bombs and you always stack for rain of blades.

Make sure you use ice barrier a lot since as a mage you will get hit hard especially by kor'thik strike and rain of blades in phase 2.
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB PSU: Corsair AX850 CASE: Corsair 800D
    Armory

Deleted
    Temporal shields > Ice barrier, in all accounts on Windlord

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by namliam View Post
    Temporal shields > Ice barrier, in all accounts on Windlord
    It depends on your healers really. I much prefer Ice barrier because it a lot less risky even though it puts a bit more strain on the healers.
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmzac View Post
    It depends on your healers really. I much prefer Ice barrier because it a lot less risky even though it puts a bit more strain on the healers.
    Pfft, fuck the healers. I use Blazing Speed.

I was playing frost on our first kill and pulled 130k with 488 ilvl gear (while I'm not very skilled palyer), I was on the cc as well. Quarter of my dmg came from glyphed Icelance and quarter from Frostbomb, rest was mainly Frostbolt and frostfire bolt, so just as jtmzac said: stick to you single target rotation, cleave with Icelance (try to aim you frozen orb in the middle of the mobs pack and go crazy), Frostbomb on cd (try to use your pet's freeze just before the explosion to maximize bomb crits).

Quote Originally Posted by jtmzac View Post
    You could certainly be doing a lot more dps in your gear as frost.

Don't use arcane explosion as frost. ever.

Stop using flamestrike and blizzard on the fight and just stick with the standard single target rotation. It seems like a good fight to use aoe but it really isn't worth it.

Frost has plenty of dps for the fight and once you get the mechanics down you shouldn't have much trouble as its a pretty easy fight. Just make sure all the adds die at once and in the 2nd phase make sure no-one detonates wind bombs and you always stack for rain of blades.

Make sure you use ice barrier a lot since as a mage you will get hit hard especially by kor'thik strike and rain of blades in phase 2.
    AoE isn't worth it? Wtf?

You shouldn't use CC either if it doesn't kill your tanks. Those mobs share health so you want to be hitting as many as possible.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2013-01-29 at 10:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Argussonn View Post
    I was playing frost on our first kill and pulled 130k with 488 ilvl gear (while I'm not very skilled palyer), I was on the cc as well. Quarter of my dmg came from glyphed Icelance and quarter from Frostbomb, rest was mainly Frostbolt and frostfire bolt, so just as jtmzac said: stick to you single target rotation, cleave with Icelance (try to aim you frozen orb in the middle of the mobs pack and go crazy), Frostbomb on cd (try to use your pet's freeze just before the explosion to maximize bomb crits).
    Also make sure you have about 15 seconds left of invoker's energy before you use frozen orb as you will be spamming ice lance nearly the entire time it's out.

Being on the cc isn't really a problem as frost as you don't really need to run in. It could be worse, I was on a cc and an interupt for a few weeks. That was fun...

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 09:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    AoE isn't worth it? Wtf?

You shouldn't use CC either if it doesn't kill your tanks. Those mobs share health so you want to be hitting as many as possible.
    The op said they only just started attempting the fight. They will definitely be using cc and tanking the adds apart.

Even on farm unless you were intentionally trying to get a high rank I would cc a blademaster a mender and two amber trappers. CC'ing adds is about mechanics not damage.
    Last edited by jtmzac; 2013-01-29 at 10:55 AM.
    Armory

Deleted
    I was playing frost on our first kill and pulled 130k with 488 ilvl gear (while I'm not very skilled palyer), I was on the cc as well. Quarter of my dmg came from glyphed Icelance and quarter from Frostbomb, .
    I had 150k with 491 last sunday. But really 25% with Frozen Orb?
    I only have 10%:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/k...?s=1883&e=2355

@OP: Dont forget to change bomb. If u have LotC u should use only NT or LB and in this fight only LB with glyph of Fireblast. If u dont use/have LotC use Frostbomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomathan View Post
    But really 25% with Frozen Orb?
    Just saying

Deleted
    *head->table*
    Forget it.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'll try them out next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomathan View Post
    @OP: Dont forget to change bomb. If u have LotC u should use only NT or LB and in this fight only LB with glyph of Fireblast. If u dont use/have LotC use Frostbomb.
    And LotC is acronym for what?

Edit: Nvm, just googled it, and I don't have it.
    Last edited by mmocb70675a445; 2013-01-29 at 03:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anghim View Post
    And LotC is acronym for what?
    LotC = Light of the Cosmos. EoT = Essence of Terror. RoY = Relic of Yu'lon.
    Armory

Your first problem is that your playing frost.

>.<

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by spaace View Post
    well the boss does take 600% more damage in heroic :P

hes asking for "normal" encounter

when i did this on normal mode, i would keep my living bomb up and use flamestrike then proceed to single target the menders(whatever add you are killing first) since its you are trying to kill it, just be safe and kill the adds first then onto windbombs!!!
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!