Poll: Would you like Vanilla-like 5 mans back?

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Would you like Vanilla-like 5 mans back?

I just saw some comment in another thread. Saying something similar as that URBS/BRD/LBRS/Stratholme took really long and was really fun. And that if they created these again, while fun at first must have something thats worth going for.

These 5 mans in Vanilla were ofcourse really long. I could spend 3 hours in BRD just with a 5man and have excellent fun.

I would vote to have them back. I don't mean Blizzard should ONLY implement these kinds of 5 mans. But one or two would be nice. And yes the rewards should be nice. Personally I'd do em just for the kick of it. But I guess not everyone plays for the same reason as me.

So what do you think?
    I'll edit this OP as a lot people do not read the entire thread and just assume this thread is "about Vanilla and people want to go back to it."

Open your mind to the following:

> there is no limit to your imagination - you are not restricted in the way the current dungeons are designed - so think outside the box
    > these "vanilla-like dungeons" would not be a part of the current LFD or be available in a different LFD model
    > these "vanilla-like dungeons" would have perhaps an epic weapon of 476 quality or something like that, at the end boss(es)
    > these "vanilla-like dungeons" would not have boring mechanics etc like the original vanilla dungeons
    > these "vanilla-like dungeons" could be a part of various long quest chains like they were before aswell
    > these "vanilla-like dungeons" would NOT be exact/revamped copies of the original vanilla dungeons, but new ones
    > these "vanilla-like dungeons" would not be the only dungeontype around, there would be 1 or 2 per expansion, perhaps loot will be updated according to the itemlevel of new LFR's that will be implemented

It is insane how people bash this idea based on false assumptions. I don't mind if you don't want this. And I am sure this poll won't have any effect in terms of actually getting this or not. I am pretty much 100% sure that this won't ever be implemented cause it is not in line with WoW's current design + gamer attitude.

I too would have issues with getting enough time to actually finish such a dungeon. I am no longer single and I am working long hours etc. So my time is precious. But I wouldn't mind spending a saturday afternoon on them. But hey I am not the only one playing this game. I am sure that there are people who do have time for this on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Vaelorian; 2013-01-30 at 10:01 AM.

Deleted
    A couple, yes, but not a whole tier-worth of dungeons. Two of three here and there could be fun, as long as they are engaging and epic aesthetically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly? No.
    Majority of the playerbase are now used to quick easy dungeons that take no brainpower, and if you ramped up the skill or time they took, they would rage, and we would end up with the complaining with what was there at the start of Cata.
    Dungeons these days are just for free lewt. That's the only reason they are run, not for fun, or adventure.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Deleted
    As much as I enjoyed the vanilla days, I really would rather not spend hours on a single dungeon run.

Endless trash and running extremely long distances to get to the bosses is not fun. I remember most BRD runs never even got close to the end boss in classic.

IMO, Vanilla has the best 5 man model.

Deleted
    It's not compatible with their dungeon finder idea and quick effortless pick-up-and-play dungeon farms, so they would have to redesign all of that too, or run it parallel with different instances and different rewards. Can't see it happening really.

It's a shame because all the 5mans being 15 minute linear facerolls is just leaving the 5man format to rot really.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how the speed run of Stratholme was 45m.

10+ Year Old Account
    if they can fill it with lore and add a great story ( add a good reason why we ''should'' finish it) i would jump in. this comes from an ex-vanilla player, remind you. i had my fair share of said dungeons more than i want to admit
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Quote Originally Posted by Briga View Post
    As much as I enjoyed the vanilla days, I really would rather not spend hours on a single dungeon run.

Endless trash and running extremely long distances to get to the bosses is not fun. I remember most BRD runs never even got close to the end boss in classic.
    True enough I've had that experience sometimes aswell. But more often then not we completed it. Especially with the guild.

Deleted
    i always liked the long dungeon crawling BRD, L/UBRS , mara and many more older dungeons were.
    but they should contain more bosses like how they are nowadays, since most vanilla fights are really really boring.

however in this context you would say i would like the redone Deadmines in Cata since it was a long dungeon, with many bosses that had a lot more interresting mechanics.
    but i absolutely hated that dungeon, so prehaps my view is scewed by rose tinted goggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    I like how the speed run of Stratholme was 45m.
    yeah that wasn't added until much later in Vanilla but this was excellent. They should add that in all dungeons imo - but they sorta have already in Challengemodes.

However Stratholme had 2 sides in the same instance, so it easily took more then just 45 min.

5 man could be made in epic scale but reward should worth it too. I would love 2-4 5mans per xpac that is really hard and drop specific raid quality loots that you can't find in raids. This type of 5mans should not be part of random dungeon finder. What I said is basically 5man raid. lol

Quote Originally Posted by felhunter View Post
    i always liked the long dungeon crawling BRD, L/UBRS , mara and many more older dungeons were.
    but they should contain more bosses like how they are nowadays, since most vanilla fights are really really boring.

however in this context you would say i would like the redone Deadmines in Cata since it was a long dungeon, with many bosses that had a lot more interresting mechanics.
    but i absolutely hated that dungeon, so prehaps my view is scewed by rose tinted goggles.
    revamped Deadmines wasn't a gem tbh. Sure it was fun for a few runs, but got boring really fast. I don't think Blizzard should revamp anymore older dungeons. They should just make new ones but with a select few in the style of Vanilla like 5 mans. Mauradon... that was something indeed. I think that was the biggest 5 man there was?

Weren't some of those 10 man to begin with? Not really fair comparing those to the current 5 mans.

They also don't work with the current LFD. I can't stand doing dungeons in the 50+ range because you don't know what dungeon you have to do to complete it so you end up just doing everything or the wrong one. Also you start getting the noob DKs that have no idea what to do but that's another subject. Don't know if they were changed since I last did them, as I quit awhile ago as they just became a waste of time.

Ubrs/Lbrs and stratholme was 15 man raids. Nerfed to 10 man. Then to 5 mans btw. So they were tiny raids. Not 5 mans

Quote Originally Posted by Ogretron View Post
    Weren't some of those 10 man to begin with? Not really fair comparing those to the current 5 mans.

They also don't work with the current LFD. I can't stand doing dungeons in the 50+ range because you don't know what dungeon you have to do to complete it so you end up just doing everything or the wrong one. Also you start getting the noob DKs that have no idea what to do but that's another subject. Don't know if they were changed since I last did them, as I quit awhile ago as they just became a waste of time.
    I know for sure that UBRS was 15 man at first (later downgraded to 10 and eventually 5). And perhaps Stratholm was 10 man at first? (that last one I am totally unsure of)

Regardless of what they were originally designed to accomodate, they became 5 mans. And as such were really epic. BRD and Mauradon were always 5 mans I think. And those were the biggest instances. So... I think it is safe to compare or dream about it.

There is a way it can be done.

Simply have that dungeon accessed via the dungeon portal. In LFD split it into 3/4 parts. Have the dungeon portal version have extra rewards maybe some different loot or a cache at the end of the dungeon after last boss is cleared there is a chest that gives you an extra item that you can roll for.

Only have 1 or at most 2 of these types of dungeon. It helps keep it fresh!

What the OP wants is 5-mans that are as difficult and challenging and (or almost) as rewarding as raids.
    People are saying, no people are too used to dungeons being easy and raids being hard.
    But WoW always changes, and we shouldn't be afraid to do something fun because the baddies might be upset.

While i did enjoy difficult and long 5-mans back in Vanilla (With nostalgia making it all seem more fun and less aggravating than it was), i don't think it would work, in any way, at all...

Spending well over an hour in one instance (Over 2 hours if unlucky, and often unlucky) to get nothing out of it (Remember, this was before JPs/badges) was frustrating back then, and i find that i have less tolerance for needless frustration nowadays than i must have had 8 years ago, and that's just me, the rest of the playerbase has gotten a more... let's say "Businesslike" attitude with regards to WoW than back then, instances as long, difficult and likely unrewarding as back in Vanilla would put me off the game entirely, and i daresay i wouldn't be the only one...

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    I know for sure that UBRS was 15 man at first (later downgraded to 10 and eventually 5). And perhaps Stratholm was 10 man at first? (that last one I am totally unsure of)

Regardless of what they were originally designed to accomodate, they became 5 mans. And as such were really epic. BRD and Mauradon were always 5 mans I think. And those were the biggest instances. So... I think it is safe to compare or dream about it.
    Strat was 10man (infact dungeons could be raided back in the day!) it got changed to 5man.