Page 1 of 2
LastLast

TotT raid boss pulling issue...

Previously a Hunter, and now playing a Rogue in MoP for first time.

When I'm pulling Blade Lord at raid leaders request, and using TotT on tank, for some reason I'm still getting hit once before Blade Lord takes off after the tank. If I use Evasion it's much less of a hit, but I'm confused why TotT is not functioning like Misdirect on Huntard with all threat immediately going to target.

Thoughts?

Because the boss will attack you in the time from your first hit, where the agro transfer isn't started, to your second hit, where it will be transferring.

Why are you pulling bosses to begin with?
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

Guess you arent hitting him before he hits you. It should work just as MD. But the problem is that he hits you before you hit him

Use Throw.

/thread

Raid Leader wanted TotT on boss to drag him down the hallway to tank.

Tried stealthed, Tricks, ambush, he turns around and he hit me for half my health+, then ran down hallway to tank.
    Tried Tricks, throw, he ran up and hit me for half my health+, then ran to tank.
    Tried Tricks, throw, vanish, and he reset.

Yes, Tricks was on tank correctly. As I'd been using it successfully while dps'ing throughout run.

From the tooltip:

The threat caused by your next damaging attack and all actions taken for 6 sec afterwards will be transferred to the target party or raid member, and all damage caused by the target is increased by 15% during this time. Transferred threat is not permanent, and will fade after 30 sec.
    Strangely enough, it seems ignoring part about "your next damaging attack". I don't think it's a range issue since after hitting you the boss goes straight to the tank.

Probably this is happening: when you attack, the boss aggro list is empty. You trick your tank, but still the aggro table of the boss is empty. You attack, and istantly enter the aggro table hence the boss attacks you at the first second - then the aggro is transfered and the boss turns to your tank.

It's not like your aggro is give directly to the tank; you instead generate aggro first, then it's moved to another char - so you'll eat the first attack. Remeber that the first attack has no swing timer, it's istant so it's not avoidable by timing.

EDIT: this is supported by your throw/vanish tactic; you trick and throw so you are generating aggro. Then you vanish so you clear your aggro. During this time no other one was on the aggro table hence the boss resets.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I don't have this problem.

Do one of these things:

1)- As you countdown, do tricks, prepot, evasion, stealth, (premed) shadow step, ambush, mutilate (or revealing or hemo), then throw rupture if muti or slice if combat (either is close if sub). Basically, start your rotation. He could turn and hit you still, but your subsquent attacks should drive him to the tank if the first is bugged for you somehow.

2)- Do the tricks and spam the living hell out of throw. If he is coming to you, then simply sprint or shadowstep to the tank.

3)- Have the tank full from max range with anything. The moment he aggros him, that is when you open- you already have tricks running on the tank. If you are really bugged, this one wouldn't work. The boss runs to the tank, who hauls ass down the hall and begins tanking at about the right spot.

Deleted
    Got a hunter in raid?
    If so, make the hunter MD to tank and the hunter make the first attack.
    How we do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tricks, Throw, Shadowstep, Open up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    I don't have this problem.

Do one of these things:

1)- As you countdown, do tricks, prepot, evasion, stealth, (premed) shadow step, ambush, mutilate (or revealing or hemo), then throw rupture if muti or slice if combat (either is close if sub). Basically, start your rotation. He could turn and hit you still, but your subsquent attacks should drive him to the tank if the first is bugged for you somehow.

2)- Do the tricks and spam the living hell out of throw. If he is coming to you, then simply sprint or shadowstep to the tank.

3)- Have the tank full from max range with anything. The moment he aggros him, that is when you open- you already have tricks running on the tank. If you are really bugged, this one wouldn't work. The boss runs to the tank, who hauls ass down the hall and begins tanking at about the right spot.
    Number 2 looks like the best option, you wouldn't even need to use tricks, just throw and shadowstep, tank should be able to taunt long before the boss gets near you. If you do this though, it would probably be advisable to have a ranged with a speed boost/blink/teleport do this instead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyboombat View Post
    but I'm confused why TotT is not functioning like Misdirect on Huntard with all threat immediately going to target.
    That is incorrect. Misdirection works exactly the same, you get initial threat which very quickly transfers to the person you are Misdirecting to. Only reason you don't notice that on a Hunter is because you aren't in melee range. If you were, you would see the same thing.

Deleted
    I'm sorry, but don't all 5 tanks currently have a ranged attack to pull with?

prot pala has holy frisbee and judgement;
    prot warrior has heroic throw and throw;
    DK has icy touch and outbreak;
    guardian has faerie fire and can use wrath as well;
    BM monk has his beer toss thingy and probably something else as well.

every tank has at least 2 ways to pull a single target boss. in addition, most of them have ways to get away pretty fast. you shouldn't a purely melee class to pull a boss, not when you got a dozen ways to pull a boss.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    I'm sorry, but don't all 5 tanks currently have a ranged attack to pull with?

prot pala has holy frisbee and judgement;
    prot warrior has heroic throw and throw;
    DK has icy touch and outbreak;
    guardian has faerie fire and can use wrath as well;
    BM monk has his beer toss thingy and probably something else as well.

every tank has at least 2 ways to pull a single target boss. in addition, most of them have ways to get away pretty fast. you shouldn't a purely melee class to pull a boss, not when you got a dozen ways to pull a boss.
    Before I say anything I quickly wanted to mention that I'm on your side, it is silly for non-tanks to pull things. But it's possible the tank is pulling other adds at the other side of the room in this case. Maybe loose adds will run after healers who are healing or something.

Usually when I'm told to Tricks a tank for the pull (only fight I've been specifically told to do this for is Wind Lord to control the adds), the tank just facepulls one half of the pack and I tricks the other half; that way, the mobs have pull-aggro on the tank and my "register" that happens before Tricks starts taking effect doesn't do anything.
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

I kinda see where the OP's raid leader is coming from, we like to get him into position as soon as possible as well. We just have our monk tank pull at ranged and then roll to the end of the hall where our pally picks up the boss. In no possible circumstance can I see why you guys are using a Rogue to pull though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    Before I say anything I quickly wanted to mention that I'm on your side, it is silly for non-tanks to pull things. But it's possible the tank is pulling other adds at the other side of the room in this case. Maybe loose adds will run after healers who are healing or something.
    Blade Lord doesn't have adds...

Wind Lord is a different case. I usually ToT at least one add without issue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    Blade Lord doesn't have adds...

Wind Lord is a different case. I usually ToT at least one add without issue.
    Doh, sorry I always get those two mixed up.

...I still don't understand why a boss that throws his blades is called Wind Lord and a boss that summons tornadoes and causes harsh winds is called Blade Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    Doh, sorry I always get those two mixed up.

...I still don't understand why a boss that throws his blades is called Wind Lord and a boss that summons tornadoes and causes harsh winds is called Blade Lord.
    LOL, I was thinking the same thing! While we're on the topic of Wind Lord though, my guild's current strat for that pull seems less than ideal. We have our pally tank grab up the boss and adds and noone heals untill she has threat. This always results in her using lay on hands. There has to be a better way to do this. (We don't have a rogue for this pull, I heal this fight on my shammy)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose6 View Post
    While we're on the topic of Wind Lord though, my guild's current strat for that pull seems less than ideal. We have our pally tank grab up the boss and adds and noone heals untill she has threat.
    This is starting to get a little awkward but... Wind Lord is the single boss without adds