Page 50 of 81 FirstFirst ...
40
48
49
50
51
52
60
... LastLast
  1. #981
    Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    Black Unemployment in 1972: 11.2%
    Black Unemployment in 2012: 14%

    Clearly Affirmative Action is helping.
    I heard when you don't want to look like a complete idiot, you make broad comparisons without taking in to account various important factors.


    Err, wait...

  2. #982
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Sorry, but this is an incredibly dumb topic. Of COURSE it's possible to be racist to white people.
    the point is to get a bunch of bitter white kids to post dumb shit about how it's not fair/ give racist replies?
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

  3. #983
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Come live in South Africa where you need to get a BEE certificate (Black Economic Equity) each year.

    Only BEE companies with a high enough rating are allowed to tender for most big business deals or do business with big financial institutions.

    Same applies to charities - you will get no tax deduction unless you donate to ONLY 100% black-owned and beneficiary charities.

    Also to scholarships - black people get first preference.

    It is getting more and more difficult for a white man to get work - even if very qualified. An employer who is trying to keep their BEE rating is forced to offer the job to a black or Chinese person - Chinese are "honourary black people" in South Africa due to them being a big trading partner.
    Gee how ironic since you had the law of Apartheid for almost 50 years and the colonialization before that? Two wrongs do not make a right and more to here in the U.S. I think that is why the crusty old white man is afraid of the minority populations specifically black and hispanic. They know they have been doing them wrong since the start of this country and are afraid eventually they will become the minority and repercussions will happen.

    As for you in South Africa and other countries yeah racism can happen to any ethnic group in a country.

  4. #984
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Gee how ironic since you had the law of Apartheid for almost 50 years and the colonialization before that? Two wrongs do not make a right and more to here in the U.S. I think that is why the crusty old white man is afraid of the minority populations specifically black and hispanic. They know they have been doing them wrong since the start of this country and are afraid eventually they will become the minority and repercussions will happen.

    As for you in South Africa and other countries yeah racism can happen to any ethnic group in a country.
    I never got racism to Africans in South Africa. YOU ARE IN AFRICA!!!! You would expect it would be the other way around......

  5. #985
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I'm not really a fan of affirmative action, but this is a really dumb comparison to make because those numbers say nothing about about the state of the economy at all, or about population growths, which both can affect those numbers.
    If the goal of a law is to lower unemployment among those who are being discriminated against then you would want to see a drop in unemployment among those people after the law was passed. Similar how you would want to see a drop in a certain kind of crimes after passing a new law to prevent them. If you don't see a drop then its evidence the law has either failed or is ineffective. If you go to the 90's boom that number drops to about 6.5% at the lowest but hung around 9% for the most part.

    But for a better comparison
    Unemployment 1984: 7.5, Black Unemployment 15%
    Unemployment 2012: 7.8, Black Unemployment 14%

    But I would love for someone to show me a statistic that proves AA is effective and that its removal would negatively effect the minority population.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

  6. #986
    Merely a Setback Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    25,711
    Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    If the goal of a law is to lower unemployment among those who are being discriminated against then you would want to see a drop in unemployment among those people after the law was passed. Similar how you would want to see a drop in a certain kind of crimes after passing a new law to prevent them. If you don't see a drop then its evidence the law has either failed or is ineffective. If you go to the 90's boom that number drops to about 6.5% at the lowest but hung around 9% for the most part.

    But for a better comparison
    Unemployment 1984: 7.5, Black Unemployment 15%
    Unemployment 2012: 7.8, Black Unemployment 14%

    But I would love for someone to show me a statistic that proves AA is effective and that its removal would negatively effect the minority population.

    So I guess we're just going to ignore one of the biggest economical depressions worldwide and the slow slow recovery that is still underway? Seems like a good plan.

  7. #987
    Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    If the goal of a law is to lower unemployment among those who are being discriminated against then you would want to see a drop in unemployment among those people after the law was passed. Similar how you would want to see a drop in a certain kind of crimes after passing a new law to prevent them. If you don't see a drop then its evidence the law has either failed or is ineffective. If you go to the 90's boom that number drops to about 6.5% at the lowest but hung around 9% for the most part.

    But for a better comparison
    Unemployment 1984: 7.5, Black Unemployment 15%
    Unemployment 2012: 7.8, Black Unemployment 14%

    But I would love for someone to show me a statistic that proves AA is effective and that its removal would negatively effect the minority population.
    Unemployment percentages are always a few % off. You have to subtract the 5% not even trying to get a job.

  8. #988
    Banned Jayburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Posts
    5,294
    I get discriminated daily...all the finely chiseled jaw line of an british actor. I hate being singled out by these sick fucks.

  9. #989
    Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    If the goal of a law is to lower unemployment among those who are being discriminated against then you would want to see a drop in unemployment among those people after the law was passed. Similar how you would want to see a drop in a certain kind of crimes after passing a new law to prevent them. If you don't see a drop then its evidence the law has either failed or is ineffective. If you go to the 90's boom that number drops to about 6.5% at the lowest but hung around 9% for the most part.

    But for a better comparison
    Unemployment 1984: 7.5, Black Unemployment 15%
    Unemployment 2012: 7.8, Black Unemployment 14%

    But I would love for someone to show me a statistic that proves AA is effective and that its removal would negatively effect the minority population.
    Then you'll "love" that how since the late 1980's the total college enrollment of students of color has increased by 57.2%, and the number of degrees earned by Native Americans rose 151.9% between 1981 and 2001. Or we could look at how in 1995 when it was outlawed at the University of Texas, the number of black students dropped from 65% to 11% in a single year.

    http://www.bamn.com/affirmative-acti...tion-the-facts

    OR how UC-Berkeley admitted 61% fewer minorities in 1998, which was the year the state first implemented its ban on affirmative action at the undergraduate level. Where 800 black and other minority students with grade point averages of 4.0 and SAT scores of at least 1200 were denied admission to the 1998 freshman class.

    http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/citycou...0Item%2013.pdf
    Last edited by Booshman; 2013-02-02 at 06:43 AM.

  10. #990
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    We do, actually. The reason being the the effects of enslavement are still present, as seen in the poor socioeconomic conditions of a large portion of the black community. This is the reason for affirmative action, to try and break the cycle of poverty.
    Oh so the reasoning for affirmative action is in fact to enable poorly qualified individuals into positions just solely based on their ethnic origin. Excellent! Sounds rather ridiculous to me. I am a colored person. I do not need hand outs nor affirmative action. My actions have spoken for themselves and I was able to rise on my own. Affirmative action itself is racist. Not towards white people but towards all the colored people. It cripples their ability to rise on their own and become truly qualified for the positions they want. Racism is racism. It happens and not one ethnic origin has been spared from slavery. Is it a problem? Of course it is and a rather big one as well.
    Cheese. Its amazing. Until your feet smell like it.

  11. #991
    Merely a Setback Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    25,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Zechs-cenarius View Post
    Oh so the reasoning for affirmative action is in fact to enable poorly qualified individuals into positions just solely based on their ethnic origin. Excellent! .
    WHOA DID YOU JUST IGNORE THE SHIT OUT OF THE POST ABOVE YOURS?!!!!! Dude seriously...

    OR how UC-Berkeley admitted 61% fewer minorities in 1998, which was the year the state first implemented its ban on affirmative action at the undergraduate level. Where 800 black and other minority students with grade point averages of 4.0 and SAT scores of at least 1200 were denied admission to the 1998 freshman class.

  12. #992
    Quote Originally Posted by Zechs-cenarius View Post
    Oh so the reasoning for affirmative action is in fact to enable poorly qualified individuals into positions just solely based on their ethnic origin. Excellent! Sounds rather ridiculous to me. I am a colored person. I do not need hand outs nor affirmative action. My actions have spoken for themselves and I was able to rise on my own. Affirmative action itself is racist. Not towards white people but towards all the colored people. It cripples their ability to rise on their own and become truly qualified for the positions they want. Racism is racism. It happens and not one ethnic origin has been spared from slavery. Is it a problem? Of course it is and a rather big one as well.
    Something about this post just screams "white pretender". I can't quite put my finger on it....but something just screams "outdated lingo that ignorant white people are known for using in this day and age."

  13. #993
    Merely a Setback Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    25,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    Something about this post just screams "white pretender". I can't quite put my finger on it....but something just screams "outdated lingo that white people are known for using in this day and age."
    Yeah seriously... I don't go around saying "I'm a coloured."

  14. #994
    Titan PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    12,205
    Casual racism is the best racism, no?

  15. #995
    Mechagnome Khraine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Todmorden, UK
    Posts
    613
    Everyone is a little bit racist, yes that means you and me. As a white English male some percive that i may have a 'privilege' or 'White privilege', that is complete and utter crap and is racist to boot. I could do with some 'privilege' about now tbh, but i won't get it. I'm disillusioned with the way the UK government goes about racism too, but thats too long a story to list.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

  16. #996
    Scarab Lord zephid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,917
    Of course it's possible.

  17. #997
    Merely a Setback Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    25,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Khraine View Post
    Everyone is a little bit racist, yes that means you and me. As a white English male some percive that i may have a 'privilege' or 'White privilege', that is complete and utter crap and is racist to boot. I could do with some 'privilege' about now tbh, but i won't get it. I'm disillusioned with the way the UK government goes about racism too, but thats too long a story to list.
    This whole "everyone's a little racist" line makes no sense to me, as I am not.

  18. #998
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    I am not legally allowed to get hold of SAT questions for VERY obvious reasons!
    I asked for an example of each(if it is as bad as you say, and with your "experience" you should be able to provide two easily without breaking any laws) and not one from a SAT. Yet again you are trying to dodge giving any evidence

  19. #999
    Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    If the goal of a law is to lower unemployment among those who are being discriminated against then you would want to see a drop in unemployment among those people after the law was passed. Similar how you would want to see a drop in a certain kind of crimes after passing a new law to prevent them. If you don't see a drop then its evidence the law has either failed or is ineffective. If you go to the 90's boom that number drops to about 6.5% at the lowest but hung around 9% for the most part.

    But for a better comparison
    Unemployment 1984: 7.5, Black Unemployment 15%
    Unemployment 2012: 7.8, Black Unemployment 14%

    But I would love for someone to show me a statistic that proves AA is effective and that its removal would negatively effect the minority population.
    But doesn't your stats also show that AA is not really effecting non-minorities either so where is the problem with it? It is not helping minorities get jobs so logically it cannot be the cause of non-minorities not getting work.

    You cannot have it both ways with AA is taking jobs away from qualified non-minorities and it is not effective in getting minorities jobs.


    I made a post that test like the SAT is more classist than it is racist and because most black people are poor it can appear racist when it more about the haves and have nots.
    Last edited by Ebildays; 2013-02-02 at 05:36 AM.

  20. #1000
    Scarab Lord Zhangfei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Cola, SC via Devon
    Posts
    4,356
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    I asked for an example of each(if it is as bad as you say, and with your "experience" you should be able to provide two easily without breaking any laws) and not one from a SAT. Yet again you are trying to dodge giving any evidence
    The reports come from reliable academic sources who have access to the papers but cannot write up questions - this is for very obvious legal reasons.

    You're asking for me to try and break the law, which is strongly frowned upon by the forum. Academic malfeasance is disgraceful.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •