PVP Healing Strategy?

I was wondering what people use when healing in PVP (either arena or BGs). Do you use a mouseover type UI to heal or do you select target then heal. Also, do you click to target or do you have keybinds to get desired target?

Quote Originally Posted by Dill508 View Post
    I was wondering what people use when healing in PVP (either arena or BGs). Do you use a mouseover type UI to heal or do you select target then heal. Also, do you click to target or do you have keybinds to get desired target?
    Clique-style healing is terrible in PvP because you aren't focusing on whats happening around you.

I use @target based healing and mod:ALT to heal myself. I only play 2s so its worked so far for me. In 3s, I use both F-key and click targeting with friendly nameplates and raid frames.

Clicking is not terrible if you have a nice set of party frames and nameplates.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyn View Post
    Clicking is not terrible if you have a nice set of party frames and nameplates.
    Most people place their raid frames in a corner, severely minimizing their situational awareness, especially when playing like a PvE heal turret.

Clicking targeting via name plates isn't that bad though.

Deleted
    Im leveling a healer atm and i would be interested to know what people use in for example battlegrounds?. I understand that target based healing is optimal in arenas, but in bg's theres too many to heal to use target based healing no?
    I've heard of people using VuhDO, Grid+Clique etc. Anyone have any input what would be best for battleground healing?

10+ Year Old Account
    ^ Would like to know as well. As I too am leveling a healer in BG. And it would be good to get the proper "tools" and "tricks" from the start to polish later.

i use standard UI with mouse overs for 3+ or bgs, and single target/alttarget for 2s
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Mouse over macros and focus macros in pvp are amazing.

Every single one of my heals and defensive CDs that can be applied to myself and/or other targets are on mouseover, CCs and stuns are on a focus macro.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

Quote Originally Posted by Thopp View Post
    Im leveling a healer atm and i would be interested to know what people use in for example battlegrounds?. I understand that target based healing is optimal in arenas, but in bg's theres too many to heal to use target based healing no?
    I've heard of people using VuhDO, Grid+Clique etc. Anyone have any input what would be best for battleground healing?
    In BGs, nameplate targeting with the camera zoomed out is probably going to be the easiest while maintaining sufficient situational awareness. When you're heal turreting with raid frames, people move out of range frequently and you don't know where they went.

For nameplate targeting, some people like mouse over macros but I prefer click targeting.

My primary problem with mouseover targeting is its potential 'ambiguity': some one might walk under your mouse while you're healing @target via the following macro: /cast [@mouseover,help,exists][@target] Heal . You also lose the ability to turn your camera while initiating a mouseover. If you're clicking to target, you didn't need mouseover anyways. Plus, I'm not always paying attention to where my mouse is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theholypally View Post
    Mouse over macros and focus macros in pvp are amazing.

Every single one of my heals and defensive CDs that can be applied to myself and/or other targets are on mouseover, CCs and stuns are on a focus macro.
    So are you mouseovering over nameplates or raid frames? This will be hard for me since i am used to keep my mouse for movement :P

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 12:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    In BGs, nameplate targeting with the camera zoomed out is probably going to be the easiest while maintaining sufficient situational awareness. When you're heal turreting with raid frames, people move out of range frequently and you don't know where they went.

For nameplate targeting, some people like mouse over macros but I prefer click targeting.

My primary problem with mouseover targeting is its potential 'ambiguity': some one might walk under your mouse while you're healing @target via the following macro: /cast [@mouseover,help,exists][@target] Heal . You also lose the ability to turn your camera while initiating a mouseover. If you're clicking to target, you didn't need mouseover anyways. Plus, I'm not always paying attention to where my mouse is.
    I guess click targeting could work best for me. Doesn't it slow reaction time though? Instead of just casting heal you have to click target the cast heal? Do you use any addons for click targeting?
    Last edited by mmoc9725088499; 2013-01-29 at 12:58 PM.

For BG's, i just click on the raidframes. Put them in a good spot where you can still see whats going on around you (av and IoC are a little harder with all the people lol). cuz as said above, sometimes my mouse gets away from me, so i dont use Mouseover, but to each his own. But for arenas i usually only do 2's or 3's. And with 2's its easy, i just macro:mod for my other party member. But, usually you have to test all these things, and see which one is easiest/best for you. good luck

Deleted
    Mouseover + Raidframes for me in a big fight. Personally I couldn't live without mouseover makros. Another important factor is bunching up spells in a single key, for example both my purge and cleanse are on the same button as mouseover with an friend/foe modifier, those kind of macros cut back on the button bloat you end up with otherwise.

One important thing I'd advise every prospective PvP healer to get is an addon like "Juked", personally I only use the interrupt cool downs for the most part to not clog up too much of my space but those alone are a great help with tracking enemy interrupts. That way you always know when you successfully fake casted an enemy or how long you have till you have to worry about him being able to interrupt you again. This takes away a lot of pressure in a fight.
    (For example many DPS tend to kick right away when it is ready if you kept casting all the time without fake casting after dodging the first interrupt/taking it, because they don't expect you to abort your casts anymore. So if you see his interrupt is ready in about a second start casting something and just abort the cast as soon as his interrupt is ready, this often will lead to him kicking anyway as he most likely doesn't know you know his cool downs.)

i've found mouseover and click casting useful in rbgs/random bgs same might hold true for 5s (idk, i don't do 5s) but but in the smaller formats (2s 3s) using target macros is better.

theres a couple variations.
    some people use specific names @mydksname @myshamansname
    some people use party @party1 @part2
    i use targettarget a lot which is a think is a very under used command, it is very very good for melee who have defensive cooldowns that can be used on others.

for example @targettarget safeguard will allow me to target an enemy player, but safeguard their target, protecting them with out dropping the enemy player as my primary target.

actually

#showtooltip
    /cast [@mouseover,exists] [mod:ctrl,@targettarget] [mod:shift,@focus] [@player] insert ability here

that macro is probably the most flexible and useful macro i've ever had for healing. it casts on your moveover if you have a mouse over, otherwise on yourself. on your target's target with a ctl modifier, on your focus with shift modifier. you can change focus and targettarget to party1/2 or specific names and you can change the modifiers around quite easily.

i know some people who manually target by having party1/2/3 on specific keybinds then heal single target, i also know people who use a different modifier for each party member alt:@part1 shift:@party2 ect.
    Last edited by kosechi; 2013-01-29 at 05:46 PM.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"