GW2: Future Talk - FAQ

Hi guys!

I thought it would be a good idea to collect all PvE-related statements from the official forums and interviews in order to find information a bit faster. As Colin Johanson - the Game director - talks about PvE in the forums, I'll quote him most of the time. I'll do a short summary of the statements if I find it necessary / quote only important parts.

You won't find this here:
    -) Personal story stuff
    -) WvW stuff
    -) sPvP stuff
    -) economics stuff
    -) bug-related stuff
    -) botting

New added quotes will get the "NEW"-marker.

so let's get this going on:

-NEW- January 31st

F: Mini-Activities - where are they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Johanson
    A number of the activities/mini-games are things we decided to table for a while in favor of focusing on features and areas we felt were more important for the game.

In the short-term we’re currently focused on adding a massive wealth of additional content and features for players to do in the game using the players core skill-bar [...] Long term we’ll absolutely be adding more activities as well.
    source

We noticed that four achievements have opened up under the activities tab for the bar brawl. What can tell us about this activity? -NEW- January 31st

Matthew Pennebaker: The bar brawl is the next activity that we hope to be releasing in 2013. From a high level, I can tell you that the proprietors of the Busted Flagon Public House have attracted an unsavory crowd and they need the help of local heroes to bring order back their establishment. Players are encouraged to put down their weapons and raise their fists to knock out some drunks, but there’s a catch: only that final haymaker will count for you and garner the thanks of the bar owner. In this free-for-all bar brawl you’re encouraged to steal that last hit from your friends, and prove yourself King or Queen of the Bouncers! You’ll hear more about this activity as we get closer to launching it.
    Source
    F: Why aren't you doing this and that (e.g. fixing bugs), instead of THAT (creating new events)?
    From a new team we hired to destroy bots, to the recent FOV beta changes we implemented, to a team investigating and fixing events that stall and more. We’ve got peeps building and expanding the game, and entire teams dedicating to working on the parts of it that already exist as well.

These are all separate groups of people, so doing one doesn’t mean we aren’t doing the other.
    F: Legendaries - Stats and materials - anything new?
    Legendary weapons won’t be updated to ascended stats until ascended weapons are added to the game in the far future.source

We’re not currently actively working on building any sort of legendary precursor scavenger hunt, this is something we want to do in the future and we’re in the midst of designing how this would function, but no one is actively building this feature and you should not expect in the Jan/Feb/March releases at this point.
    We are however working on expanding reward systems to make them more re-rewarding across all parts of the game, making the open world more rewarding, and adding new ways you can earn precursors as rewards via new reward systems taking advantage of our open persistent world. source

To clarify since I think these two statements could be confusing without context, Linsey is indeed working on designing the system by which we’d add precursor scavenger hunts to the game. We are not actively implementing that design yet, it hasn’t been finalized, and building it that will involve a much larger team. source

I just want to quickly clarify to set expectations, nothing in the blog post, nor nothing we’ve said anywhere has said you will be able to buy precursor items directly for crowns, this is not the case. We’ve simply said we’ll try and find some other places to add a chance to get them to the game until we’ve implemented the eventual precursor scavenger hunt.
    Long term we’ll be working on the scavenger hunt concept to track down and earn a precursor item as a direct form of earning the reward. source
    F: Early 2013 - What can we expect?
    To set expectations accordingly, the January release will be a relatively small release that sets the table for the stories and features we plan to roll out with the Feb/March releases and beyond. Also, there will be no new race, profession, or new region with these larger Feb/March releases. One of our major goals with these releases is making our existing world as strong as possible, ensuring there are reasons to go to all the locations in the world we’ve already built, and strengthening the core game we’ve provided. source

One of our goals for 2013 will be evaluating all of the bosses and creatures in the game, from open world to dungeons, to try and make them more exciting and fun to fight against. In general if anything has a really high health pool, it needs to have unique abilities to make it exciting for the entire time, or actually change abilities/tactics as it goes down in health to ensure it stays fun and exciting to fight against. We realize there are a number of bosses in the game, from the open world to instances that all can be more fun to fight than they are now. We’ll be tackling that this year in part of our goal to make our core game as strong as possible. source
    + very important info: Interview transcripts (thanks to dulfy!)

GW2 Dev Livestream Jan 17 Transcript

GW2 Colin Johanson MMORPG Livestream transcript – Jan 18

F: what about Ascended gear in the next months? - January 22-
    Ascended rings will also be available for laurels as well. Back slot items will be made more widely available in the future and will likely tie into a different reward system.

(Please note, the ascended gear purchased for laurels will not have agony resistance built in, since that mechanic is currently unique to progression in the fractal dungeons. They are however statistically the same as any other ascended gear.)
    We will also introduce an additional reward system (or systems) in the future to make these items more accessible to WvW players on top of the laurel system.
    The remaining ascended item types will be introduced in future releases, and may or may not tie into the laurel system, TBD.

You will also be able to put infusions in the ascended gear from laurels.
    Source

F: What can you tell us about the new achievement system? - January 22-
    Laurels are only earned through daily and monthly achievements (starting with the feb monthly) and will not reward for previous daily/monthly achievements completed since folks didn’t know this system was coming.

We will however introduce an expanded/new reward system in the future that will reward for other types of achievements, this system will reward previous achievement points earned. (But may require bringing back into line some infinitely repeatable achievements that would bloat/break this system)

F: What can you tell us about the new storyline starting January? January 22
    This is not a live storyline that requires you to purchase an expansion to discover the ending. This month is a small lead-in to kick off a storyline that will play out over the coming months.

-NEW- January 31st

F: What's this living story?

Thanks for the feedback on the Living Story portion of Flame and Frost: Prelude. Here’s some context on how it works:

• The Flame and Frost story content progresses over time. You will not see everything today, tomorrow, or even the next day.
    • Expect subtle changes at first. Maybe you’ll encounter some familiar characters. Perhaps you’ll be introduced to some new ones. You might see a new structure where there wasn’t one before.
    • The Living Story content is initially about the thrill of discovery. We’ll put some markers on your map, maybe send you a letter, or parcel out details through certain characters, but the rest is up to you.
    • As the weeks progress, you’ll notice bigger changes in the world. New events may appear. Plots will advance and characters will develop.
    Source

Leif Chappelle: Our primary focus right now is expanding the living story of Tyria as all players see it, together. With each month’s content, the world itself and what you do in it will change to reflect the stories and characters affected by them. This isn’t to say that the player’s personal involvement in that living story is diminished in any way, but it’s a different sort of storytelling that we are in the process of developing. We’re always discussing ways to expand or build upon the personal story system, but our focus for now is the core living world.
    Source

-NEW-
    This month, you’ll be playing through a light preamble, a teaser intended to whet your appetite for the rest of the story. This content will stick around for a couple months, so you have plenty of time to play it before it goes away, and we’ll be adding to it as well.
    Last edited by Maarius; 2013-01-31 at 10:08 PM.

Update, some interesting posts today...

Can't wait till they add interesting abilities to open world/dungeon creatures and bosses, the only thing I found disappointing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by androidftw View Post
    Can't wait till they add interesting abilities to open world/dungeon creatures and bosses, the only thing I found disappointing.
    Less dungeons and more outdoor bosses please, thats where gw2 can shine.

Yesterday in WvW I experienced a pretty cool battle against a huge grub, I agree: there should be more of those boss-battles in the open world

Hey Maarius, great post! I have a suggestion, even tho you are using the "-New-" to help search what's new, you mind putting a date you added such information? Then we can know when it was said, when a new comes on top of the last news. If you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    Hey Maarius, great post! I have a suggestion, even tho you are using the "-New-" to help search what's new, you mind putting a date you added such information? Then we can know when it was said, when a new comes on top of the last news. If you know what I mean.
    thanks, good suggestion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    Yesterday in WvW I experienced a pretty cool battle against a huge grub, I agree: there should be more of those boss-battles in the open world
    I finally had the great pleasure of running into Appledainty and her Team Doylak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgxHAo1zmIw
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...ragedy_in_wvw/
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I finally had the great pleasure of running into Appledainty and her Team Doylak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgxHAo1zmIw
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...ragedy_in_wvw/
    Is she on TC? And I have a feeling FA got the shit kicked out of them fr interrupting the parade?
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice thread you got here, kudos for a single place to find Anet official comments =)

Guild Wars 2 is an awesome Game!!

I hope they can give incentives to play the game in the long term.

Need better PvP rewards (not stuff) ! ^^

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bought the game on the 26th. I was very hesitant at first when I learned about the skill/weapon system. But after playing my engineer and unlocking a few weapon kits, obtainning both dual pistols and a rifle. I can say the utility and the ability to flop between Rifle/pistols and flame thrower or grenade abilites in the middle of a fight gives a huge dynamic to game play I havent seen before. to switch from single target damage to massive AoE explosions/fire and still maintain mobility..its pretty fantastic. So in short, love the game, love the outdoor events/encounters. I love that they dont have the wow style quest hubs, they every one work on the same event at the same time. Cant waite to try dungeons and WvW later on.

update:

-) about Kegbrawl
    -) about the living story

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 11:10 PM ----------

small update about the current living story situation:

This month, you’ll be playing through a light preamble, a teaser intended to whet your appetite for the rest of the story. This content will stick around for a couple months, so you have plenty of time to play it before it goes away, and we’ll be adding to it as well.
    Source