Monk Spell-steal?

Hi, all. I'm new to monks and last night I noticed something weird. While in a BG I somehow stole Brainfreeze from a mage, and I'm not sure how.

I'm pretty sure I had used Diffuse Magic and Zen Meditation during that fight, and I know those spells have some funky mechanics, but I don't understand how they could result in a spellsteal. As far as I understood, Diffuse Magic only reflects things that are currently on you, not new incoming spells. So, even if the mage cast spellsteal on me while Diffuse was up, I didn't think that would reflect it.

Anyway, any ideas? Hopefully I'm not wasting your time with some well-known mechanic that I don't understand due to being new.

15+ Year Old Account
    Weird...

Diffuse Magic can reflect his Frost Bomb/Nether Tempest/Living Bomb back to himself. Brain Freeze procs from ticks of those abilities. I wonder if that somehow caused you to get the Brain Freeze effect since you became the 'caster' of the spell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Diffuse Magic will reverse a magic effect (DoTs, debuffs etc) back to its caster, if possible. That's probably what happened - also, Brainfreeze is from a DK, so... I'm not sure if maybe you saw the wrong thing? Zen Med - from my understanding - only redirects stuff to you, similar to being a living Grounding Totem. To my understanding, DM is a reverse spellsteal, so..

Quote Originally Posted by alysmera View Post
    Diffuse Magic will reverse a magic effect (DoTs, debuffs etc) back to its caster, if possible. That's probably what happened - also, Brainfreeze is from a DK, so... I'm not sure if maybe you saw the wrong thing? Zen Med - from my understanding - only redirects stuff to you, similar to being a living Grounding Totem. To my understanding, DM is a reverse spellsteal, so..
    Mind freeze is the DK interrupt, Brainfreeze is a frost mage proc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandrel View Post
    Mind freeze is the DK interrupt, Brainfreeze is a frost mage proc.
    Yes, I got the mage ability Brainfreeze, I have a mage so I'm totally sure. The visual ui warning that I have a brainfreeze proc even popped up, even though I was on a monk.

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 06:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DirewolfX View Post
    Weird...

Diffuse Magic can reflect his Frost Bomb/Nether Tempest/Living Bomb back to himself. Brain Freeze procs from ticks of those abilities. I wonder if that somehow caused you to get the Brain Freeze effect since you became the 'caster' of the spell.
    Yeah this must be it. Thanks!

Deleted
    Maybe he reflected the bomb of the mage, the game registered that the monk ''casted'' it, but failed to recognize that a monk wasn't supposed to get the procs?