Poll: Would you support the addition of Random Arenas to WoW?

10+ Year Old Account

Random Arenas: A good addition or not?

What would you guys think about the introduction of Random Arena's?

A somewhat self-explanatory question, but let me elaborate on the specifics a bit. There would be 5 separate queue's: one for 2v2 only, one for 3v3 only, another for 5v5 only, one for all arena sizes, and one for all arena sizes that ignores all composition restraints as outlined in the next paragraph. Each size bracket would be able to be played on all existing arena maps without any major changes. The first 4 brackets would be able to mix and match players, but the last queuing bracket would only place players who queue for Random BG's without comp restrictions. Arenas would reward Honor/Conquest points at (ideally) a commensurate rate that Random BG's award those forms of currency. Queuing for randoms would a give healthy honor bonus upon a win, and queuing for a comp-independent random would award an even bigger bonus, similar to the existing bonuses offered by random BG's.

Queue's would require a role check option similar to random dungeons. 2v2 would be restricted to DPS only, 3v3 would be restricted to 2 DPS and one Healer, and 5's would be restricted to 3 DPS and 2 Healers. Depending on the ratio of Healer : DPS characters that queue at any given moment, the arenas formed would be able to shift in size formed to keep queue's as low as possible (Example: more 2v2's formed if a lot of DPS are queuing, and more 5v5's if a lot of Healers are joining). Queuing for a Random, comp-independent Arena would place you in a randomly sized arena as well.

Tank specs, honestly I don't know what to do about. In this scenario, I'd guess that the best way to allow them into this feature is to restrict them to queuing into comp-independent random arenas. In order to hold players to their word regarding which spec they will play in the arena, you would be only allowed to accept your Arena queue if you were in the correct spec. Example: I queue'd up for a healer spot in a 5v5 arena, but am running around doing dailies while I wait in my Enhancement off-spec. Boom, queue pops, I accidentally press "Enter" and am not allowed in. I change spec to Restoration, and now I am allowed to enter the Arena. Changing specs after entering would be prohibited, unless it was to change from Enhance to Elemental if I queue's up as DPS. Character.

Personally, I do not enjoy Arenas, but I cannot figure out why Random Arenas haven't already been added to the game. Currently, we have access to Random & Rated Battlegrounds as well as only Rated Arenas. Based on the amount of use that Arenas do get, I personally would imagine that adding a less structured and competitive version of the current Rated Arenas would be a profitable move on Blizzard's part. I don't know how I feel about queuing with a group either, other than to make queuing for either the comp dependent or comp independent not allow it, while still allowing party sizes of 2, 3, and 5 to queue together for their specific size arena bracket.

Now, let's examine some of the pro's and con's of this hypothetical game addition.

Pros:

1. Gives players who do not wish to run battlegrounds a reliable alternate method to gear up
    2. Familiarizes new players with Arenas in a low-stress and non-competitive environment
    3. Fills a niche for small group casual PvP play that uses a matchmaking system.
    4. Allows teams to familiarize themselves with each other and practice various strategies and compositions in a non-rated environment
    5. Not a lot of developer time would be required, because most of the UI/coding already exists to make this feature a reality

Cons:

1. Queue times could be long due to role requirements and not enough users
    2. Tank specs have an unclear, if not downright nonexistent, role
    3. Possibly reduces the number of people running BG's, lengthening those queue times
    4. Developer time spent on this feature takes away from other projects

Personally, I think that the Pro's outweigh the Con's by a fairly good margin, and I support the addition of such a feature. Do you?
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

3v3 Botfest
    do what you feel.

10+ Year Old Account
    they already exist they just arent rated.

at least they used to i actually havent check in a while
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

Quote Originally Posted by Bladeface View Post
    they already exist they just arent rated.

at least they used to i actually havent check in a while
    Taken out at the end of WotLK. Blizzard has said they'd like to put them back in but it's not a very high priority. In terms of your idea OP I like it and it's been suggested a few times. I enjoy arena MUCH more than battlegrounds so I'd love to be able to gear up through them.

Deleted
    Skirmish used to fill this sort of role somewhat.
    Why I understand that this system you suggest isn't necessary or has no prioritizing in development is because you can't compare organizing a 10-man BG group to what it takes to get a 2's/3's team together. It's ridiculously easy to just grab a random partner from trade/whatever and get into it with no real goals beyond having a lark and maybe getting a few points. For me, the cons outweigh the pros.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalysun View Post
    Taken out at the end of WotLK. Blizzard has said they'd like to put them back in but it's not a very high priority. In terms of your idea OP I like it and it's been suggested a few times. I enjoy arena MUCH more than battlegrounds so I'd love to be able to gear up through them.
    You are definitely the player that this feature targets; a person who likes arenas and doesn't want to gear up through battlegrounds.

Also, I didn't start PvP'ing until Cataclysm (started late Wrath) so I had no idea they had Random Arenas and took them out! What was their stated reason for doing so, anyone remember?

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 03:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    It's ridiculously easy to just grab a random partner from trade/whatever and get into it with no real goals beyond having a lark and maybe getting a few points.
    Isn't this already the state of the 2v2 Rated Arena bracket?
    Stop dating strippers.
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

Deleted
    the only way i would ever support this feature, if you could only solo queue.

else it is far too easy for people with a pre-made team, blasting through randoms (its already a major advantage in 10v10 or 15v15 bg's , would be too much for this idea)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by felhunter View Post
    the only way i would ever support this feature, if you could only solo queue.

else it is far too easy for people with a pre-made team, blasting through randoms (its already a major advantage in 10v10 or 15v15 bg's , would be too much for this idea)
    I can definitely see your logic with this, as even 10v10 Random BG's are only designed to allow 1/2 of the team be a coordinated, skilled group of players who grouped up pre-queue. While I'd like to see only solo queues allowed, I think that it would harm the social aspect of the feature too much, which is why I proposed a completely random queuing bracket separate from all of the others that only allows one to solo queue.
    Stop dating strippers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kleinlax21 View Post
    Also, I didn't start PvP'ing until Cataclysm (started late Wrath) so I had no idea they had Random Arenas and took them out! What was their stated reason for doing so, anyone remember?

Isn't this already the state of the 2v2 Rated Arena bracket?
    Can't remember if they stated any reason for taking skirmishes out.
    And yes it is :P Which puzzles me even more why there would be any need for your suggestion, when 2's already caters to the demograph.

And yes it is :P Which puzzles me even more why there would be any need for your suggestion, when 2's already caters to the demograph.
    Basically, as I recall it, they just said that skirmishes weren't used very often. Who really knows.

I wouldn't mind seeing them back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that there is a significant enough market to implement casual versions of all arena sizes that are designed to supplement/replace random BG's in their purpose of honor grinding and casual PvP play.
    Stop dating strippers.