Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

OC Proposed in TX

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/...laws-in-texas/

So a Texas bill to allow CHL (Concealed Handgun License) holders to open carry has been proposed. While OCing, the person is only permitted to carry the gun in a belt holster or shoulder rig.

Personally, I prefer no license, but find it a step on the right path.

As far as where I'd do it, I would only OC outside Beltway 8 (Houston, the big loop).

Also, I got my picture with the banner!

10+ Year Old Account
    Here we go again, that banner is asinine, no one is going to come take your guns. Whats so wrong about having a license to OC? You should be glad they even give you that option. I'm quite surprised that Rick Perry doesn't go around handing every (white) citizen of Texas a Bible and an AR.

Augment your tiny package by strapping another to your belt or shoulder. Sounds like a plan.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/...laws-in-texas/

So a Texas bill to allow CHL (Concealed Handgun License) holders to open carry has been proposed. While OCing, the person is only permitted to carry the gun in a belt holster or shoulder rig.

Personally, I prefer no license, but find it a step on the right path.

As far as where I'd do it, I would only OC outside Beltway 8 (Houston, the big loop).

Also, I got my picture with the banner!
    I like the idea of Open Carry a lot better than the idea of concealed carry. I want to know if the people around me are armed.

I've seen a guy walking around with a gun in a thigh holster a couple times inside 610 in Houston before. Is that not currently legal?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Aaaaaand rampant paranoia and fear strikes again.

You know if I were a federal government bent on being tyrannical and oppressing its people, I'd allow them the false comfort of carrying any gun they wanted. Taking guns away (for their own protection) only serves to rile them up and make them angry. Let the people have their security blankets (guns) to protect them from boogeymen, then they'll never see it coming.

Does anyone else picture a bunch of white men walking around town with AR-15's cradled in their arms is an oddly familiar picture to middle easterners walking around with AK-47s cradled in their arms?
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2013-01-28 at 07:05 PM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I like the idea of Open Carry a lot better than the idea of concealed carry. I want to know if the people around me are armed.

I've seen a guy walking around with a gun in a thigh holster a couple times inside 610 in Houston before. Is that not currently legal?
    Do you mean like a drop leg holster? http://simage1.sportsmansguide.com/a.../173235_ts.jpg (large image)

If it is like the one in the link, then yes, it is not legal. I think police (and those types of forces) are exempt. If the gun is completely covered, then I don't really know. It may be a gray area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you mean like a drop leg holster? http://simage1.sportsmansguide.com/a.../173235_ts.jpg (large image)
    Yeah, exactly that. Just outside a Quizno's on Studemont.

Yeah, exactly that. Just outside a Quizno's on Studemont.
    Yeah, exposed gun, illegal with police exempt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone that open carries is just looking for attention. There literally isn't a single good reason to open carry, unless you like being targeted first.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Anyone that open carries is just looking for attention. There literally isn't a single good reason to open carry, unless you like being targeted first.
    police officers open carry.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, exposed gun, illegal with police exempt.
    Huh, interesting. Maybe he was just unfamiliar with the law? I walked right by him, and didn't think he seemed threatening at all. I just felt like he was trying to wear an "I'm a badass" badge, which made me internally roll my eyes.

Not sure why exposed carry would be illegal by not concealed carry. That seems ass-backwards. Seems like it's in the public interest to know when a person is carrying a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    It is a large deterrent. My choice would be a M1911 (.45 ACP), S&W 629 (.44 Magnum) or a Beretta 92 FS (9mm). If a would-be criminal saw me in a Taco Bell with one (I love Taco Bell), they would more than likely not take the chance of risking their life. My 2 cents.

Huh, interesting. Maybe he was just unfamiliar with the law? I walked right by him, and didn't think he seemed threatening at all. I just felt like he was trying to wear an "I'm a badass" badge, which made me internally roll my eyes.

Not sure why exposed carry would be illegal by not concealed carry. That seems ass-backwards. Seems like it's in the public interest to know when a person is carrying a firearm.
    More than likely just the politics at the time. I don't remember who said it, but someone said that with CC there would be murders in the street blah blah blah. You're in Houston, I probably don't need to explain our state ways.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I live outside the 610 loop, inside the Beltway. Trust me there are plenty of reasons to carry. My family has actually been in a situation where we had to defend ourselves from some gang members in this area, thank god my husband has a permit to carry. He was able to diffuse the situation without incident, without him carrying we more than likely would have been jacked and left for dead. I would feel much better with an OC than a concealed license. It still won't prevent the illegal guns, but it sure will tell 'em not to mess with us. Houston is a huge area and we have lots of gang activity, albeit much quieter than some other huge cities, it is just as prevalent.
    Texas laws include very thorough background checks and qualifications to get Concealed licences. I hope that for OC they are just as strict, if not more so.

So people in Texas just walk around in public with guns and no actual knowledge of the law that pertains to said gun? Sounds safe. I thought the people advocating gun rights would at least know what the laws were pertaining to gun rights. Shouldnt that guy have at least looked up online if was allowed to do what he did before he did it? Or was he like: I'll just go walking around with this gun and see what happens?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaed View Post
    I live outside the 610 loop, inside the Beltway. Trust me there are plenty of reasons to carry. My family has actually been in a situation where we had to defend ourselves from some gang members in this area, thank god my husband has a permit to carry. He was able to diffuse the situation without incident, without him carrying we more than likely would have been jacked and left for dead. I would feel much better with an OC than a concealed license. It still won't prevent the illegal guns, but it sure will tell 'em not to mess with us. Houston is a huge area and we have lots of gang activity, albeit much quieter than some other huge cities, it is just as prevalent.
    Texas laws include very thorough background checks and qualifications to get Concealed licences. I hope that for OC they are just as strict, if not more so.
    Damn, what do you live in Sharpstown? I live in the Montrose/Heights area and I can't imagine feeling the need to be walking around armed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    So people in Texas just walk around in public with guns and no actual knowledge of the law that pertains to said gun? Sounds safe. I thought the people advocating gun rights would at least know what the laws were pertaining to gun rights. Shouldnt that guy have at least looked up online if was allowed to do what he did before he did it? Or was he like: I'll just go walking around with this gun and see what happens?
    The law in Texas tends to turn a blind eye to open carry since they are a big gun state... that is, it turns a blind eye if you're a white male.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

So people in Texas just walk around in public with guns and no actual knowledge of the law that pertains to said gun? Sounds safe. I thought the people advocating gun rights would at least no what the laws were pertaining to gun rights. Shouldnt that guy have at least looked up online if was allowed to do what he did before he did it? Or was he like: I'll just go walking around with this gun and see what happens?
    It's also possible that he was a gangster (they don't care) or a cop in plain clothes. No idea why a plain clothes cop would do drop leg, as it defeats the purpose of plains clothes.

Damn, what do you live in Sharpstown? I live in the Montrose/Heights area and I can't imagine feeling the need to be walking around armed.
    She could live on the Southeast or East side of town. The way Heights used to be (kinda still is on the northern most part) I would.

10+ Year Old Account
    All of this is 100% speculation. I have no idea what was going on with the guy. He could have been a plainclothes police officer, though he certainly didn't look it.

Deleted
    It is a large deterrent. My choice would be a M1911 (.45 ACP), S&W 629 (.44 Magnum) or a Beretta 92 FS (9mm). If a would-be criminal saw me in a Taco Bell with one (I love Taco Bell), they would more than likely not take the chance of risking their life. My 2 cents.
    Or they could just decide to shoot you before you notice him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw this on FB a few days back, good stuff:
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA