Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I laughed at all the armchair service men deciding your fate before you even enlisted. Only good piece of advice I've see was to not go in as an open contract, you will regret it. Other than that, do some research on each branch and what they specialize is. Just remember you will be broken down and built back up based on each branches expectations. I only can speak for the Marine Corps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostys99 View Post
    I laughed at all the armchair service men deciding your fate before you even enlisted. Only good piece of advice I've see was to not go in as an open contract, you will regret it. Other than that, do some research on each branch and what they specialize is. Just remember you will be broken down and built back up based on each branches expectations. I only can speak for the Marine Corps.
    I take offense. My armchair is comfy!
    Tauren are the only race that produce the proper sound effects when you use the '/moo' emote.
    /moo'ing since the beginning of march 2004 in the closed World of Warcraft beta.
    Taurens>Gnomes>Trolls>Orcs>Worgens.
    Druid>Shaman>Rogue>Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by mcbeaty View Post
    ... He said the average person scores a 39-45
    That sucks, IIRC, the lowest MOSes, Infantry and MP, only require 30.

OT: Marines!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    That sucks, IIRC, the lowest MOSes, Infantry and MP, only require 30.

OT: Marines!
    Whoa whoa whoa, my MoS in the Marines required atleast an 80 (Signal's Intelligence). Not ALL Marines are dumb. Shesh.

The military can be picky right now, high unemployment and all that. When I took some RA they were turning down anyone under a 31, even for the combat arms roles. Right before I EAS'd they were pretty much trying to force 7 out of every 10 NCO out, so..... Who knows, that was 2011.
    Last edited by NoRest4Wicked; 2013-01-30 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redriot View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa, my MoS in the Marines required atleast an 80 (Signal's Intelligence). Not ALL Marines are dumb. Shesh.
    Where did I say Marines are dumb? I said that the average being 39-45 is sucky, and said what the lowest ones are and their requirements.

Where did I say Marines are dumb? I said that the average being 39-45 is sucky, and said what the lowest ones are and their requirements.
    Sorry, I read it wrong :P

I read it as you saying that was low, but on topic with a score like that he should join the Marines.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure you aren't gay or a woman. Also make sure you have ample practice shooting civillian targets.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Make sure you aren't gay or a woman. Also make sure you have ample practice shooting civillian targets.
    Don't ask, don't tell was repealed and the women are allowed in combat roles now. You can't say they aren't trying to be progressive (On a side note, I never fired a weapon b4 joining. I also never shot a civilian,)

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't ask, don't tell was repealed and the women are allowed in combat roles now. You can't say they aren't trying to be progressive (On a side note, I never fired a weapon b4 joining. I also never shot a civilian,)
    Oh sure, they're allowed in. Doesn't mean they are treated as equals.

Deleted
    “Military men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy.” - Henry Kissinger.

Don't worry, you're not the first to say or imply it.

Besides, not everyone would disagree either.

Oh sure, they're allowed in. Doesn't mean they are treated as equals.
    I'm not going to comment as a whole, but in my unit we had some openly homosexual Marines and no one minded, also being as we were POGs we had a good amount of women. I'm sure it differs everywhere, but you make it sound like every person who joins the military are homophobic sexist pigs. You are trying to blanket statement everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not going to comment as a whole, but in my unit we had some openly homosexual Marines and no one minded, also being as we were POGs we had a good amount of women. I'm sure it differs everywhere, but you make it sound like every person who joins the military are homophobic sexist pigs. You are trying to blanket statement everyone.
    And where did I do that? A straight male is likely to have an easier time in the army than a Gay male or a Woman. Am I wrong?

And where did I do that? A straight male is likely to have an easier time in the army than a Gay male or a Woman. Am I wrong?
    Arguably no, because women have a far easier time getting promoted, along with more lax standards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arguably no, because women have a far easier time getting promoted, along with more lax standards.
    My comment was not about training or standards.

Stop derailing topics. Infractions come quick when that happens.

My comment was not about training or standards.
    You said easier time, in reference to what? In my experience, and you can't compare that to most military experience because basement dwelling intelligence analysts don't get out much, they ARE treated equally. I saw homosexuals and women progress through the ranks at a rate that was on par with their abilities. Like I said, I can't comment on other jobs within the military because I never served as infantry. In my experience, no. Straight males didn't have an easier time in any unit I served with.

My advice? Don't join the military.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Since I took the SAT a long time ago, I thought "wow, that's a pretty good score". Then I remember that this isn't out of 1600 anymore...
    SAT's don't mean anything for the military. Only ASVAB's. Those decide what you are qualified to do.

From what I caught from the OP and the other replies about having to hound the recruiters, it sounds like they aren't doing their job. When I enlisted back in 2004, my recruiter worked quickly to get me in.

But, the military isn't hurting as bad now for people as it was back then, since we aren't fighting on 2 major fronts anymore. In fact, in some ways, they are cutting back on people. Retention officers haven't been pushing as hard for people to stay in from what I have been hearing from my friends that are in different units/branches.

Deleted
    Are you from the past? Gays are allowed in the military now and they are starting to allow women in combat roles.

As for ample practice shooting civilian targets, that's A very bad idea. You can learn bad habits that way, it can be harder to unlearn a bad habit than to start from fresh.

Deleted
    I was thinking of trying to join the navy as a marine mechanic (Sub fleet) But the mindset needed is... well fuck me hard. I may persue it sometime, but i just dont think i meet the mindset required for long tours in a boat...

But massive respect to all those serving current and past!