Thread: SSD Help

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

SSD Help

Quick question: I purchased a 128GB SSD this week and it will be in tomorrow. I am going to zero out my old 1TB hard drive. I am going to be putting the Windows OS on my SSD and a couple of games. My question is pretty noobish.. When I download things like Chrome and other software for my mouse, keyboard, headset, how do I put those on my 1TB hard drive? Do I just set the location as that hard drive and it will install on that? Sorry for the nooby question, I have never run a computer with dual hard driver.

10+ Year Old Account
    how do I put those on my 1TB hard drive?
    You dont. All software/programs/OS goes on the SSD. There is literally 0 reason to put that stuff on the 1TB drive.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-01-30 at 04:16 AM.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Won't it be the convenience of saving space on the SSD? I know that like all my music/movies/documents go on the old 1TB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LitteringAnd01 View Post
    Won't it be the convenience of saving space on the SSD? I know that like all my music/movies/documents go on the old 1TB
    Not really. None of those programs take up much space. 128gb is literally like... a thousand normal programs, excluding games.

The only real issue people have with space and SSD's, is when it comes to having lots of games. 128gb was not big enough for me, so I got a 256.

28gb in steam, 22gb in wow, 22gb in wow PTR, 15gb in Origin (ME3 I think?), 15gb in GW2, 12gb in D3, 8gb in SC2... and out of space.\

All of my programs added together dont equal a quarter of the space of my smallest game, so micromanaging those is a lesson in futility.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alright. Thanks for your input. I will probably be putting Steam on my 1TB because I don't really play many games on steam, just to shoot craps when waiting for people to log on ect. I will only have league of legends and diablo 3 on my SSD with of course Windows 7 OS.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a really ... not so great idea. It defeats the entire purpose of having an SSD by doing that. If you feel you don't have enough space for your programs on your SSD, you either use less programs, or get a bigger SSD.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    At the moment I didn't have enough money to purchase a 256gb ssd.. I am a broke college student haha

You can install steam on the SSD and install games on your 1TB drive though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravuno View Post
    You can install steam on the SSD and install games on your 1TB drive though.
    That isn't any different from installing steam on the 1TB. You're still skipping the performance benefit of the SSD.