Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

[Suggestion] Bring Back the Night! - Now with added blue response.

(Spelling mistake in the title.. fixed now)

There have been numerous threads over the years requesting that blizzard fix the lighting so we get an actual night time. They've mostly been ignore but this time a blue piped up and replied.

The EU thread on "Night time".

The US thread on "Night time" (Post capped)

The 2nd US thread on "Night time"

The petition.

Now before you jump down my throat and complain about people wanting the darkness back and it might be too dark for you, please hear me out.

What I've gathered from these threads is that the majority of people who have responded (so far) want the lighting system fixed. Even if blizzard put the lighting right so that we had a night time, I believe it would be pretty easy to implement an option to turn night on/off like they do(did) with weather effects.

If you want night time back, spread the word. Hell, use the suggestion box in game if you really want it back. If enough people tell blizzard we want it back, they will eventually listen.

#WoWNighttime
    Last edited by razski; 2013-01-31 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Removed a word, and clarified with italics what I meant.

I would love to have the night back. I want torchlight in Stormwind - people walking around with torches. Mounts on "fire" would also make the area around them a little brighter. Sure the sky looks nice now but really..... when I played WoW in hte beginning... I loved that I could "check/guess" time by looking at the sky in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, I didn't even think about that. Yeah, I remember rolling through Duskwood around level 20 and being scared to death of going there when the sun went down.

Blizzard definitely needs to bring this back. It was taken away for a pretty dumb reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of my earliest WOW memories is when I was a little warlock, questing in Elwynn Forest - and then it began to rain... it was great. And then it got dark. It went so dark, that I was glad that the street/paths had those little markers, torches and whatever else glowy stuff there is in various parts of Azeroth.

I was amazed that this new game there had night and day and weather. It was something that hit me completely unexpectedly. I hadn't expected such an attention to detail.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree and I posted on the topic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    I would love to have the night back. I want torchlight in Stormwind - people walking around with torches. Mounts on "fire" would also make the area around them a little brighter. Sure the sky looks nice now but really..... when I played WoW in hte beginning... I loved that I could "check/guess" time by looking at the sky in WoW.
    And that is it right there. I believe that the being able to check/guess the time is to blame for the change or actually the 24-hour clock is to blame.

I doubt that many players are interested in only playing in the darkness and since most players play in the evening the majority of the time they play the game (weekdays) a lot of players had to face playing in less light. If Blizzard wouldn't have implemented the 24-hour clock in the first place and they would have just used shorter days they wouldn't have had to change night time at all.

I have never liked the idea of the 24-hour clock. I have yet to see it being used for anything good to offset the bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    When was this removed if i may ask?

(I also hope this will be back, Looks amazing!)

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by razski View Post
    (Spelling mistake in the title.. fixed now)

There have been numerous threads over the years requesting that blizzard fix the lighting so we get an actual night time. They've mostly been ignore but this time a blue piped up and replied.

The EU thread on "Night time".

The US thread on "Night time"

The petition.

Now before you jump down my throat and complain about people wanting the darkness back and it might be too dark for you, please hear me out.

What I've gathered from these threads is that the vast majority (so far) want the lighting system fixed. Even if blizzard put the lighting right so that we had a night time, I believe it would be pretty easy to implement an option to turn night on/off like they do(did) with weather effects.

If you want night time back, spread the word. If enough people tell blizzard we want it back, they will listen.

Vast majority as in how many? Unless you got about 3-4 million people posting in that thread I don't think you should be calling anything a majority.

15+ Year Old Account
    darkness is full of win, can set moods so well, especially in places like the cities (admittedly undercity would be no different . . . lol)

Seen the desire to have good darkness in WoW brought up quite a few times in the past.

Always make sure to link this picture for what I know WoW can do. This is from the start of Cata, but was made with the WoW machinima tool. It was done with skybox and lighting settings that are already present in-game.

Deleted
    i agree that night time might be a bit darker then it is nowadays. the trick is not too make it too dark so its intervening with questing/raiding cause you get trouble noticing things.

10+ Year Old Account
    That Blue response fills me with hope. I'd love for the nighttime to be actually nighttime, rather than the perpetual dusk that we get instead of midnight.
    Last edited by Chonar; 2013-01-30 at 01:40 PM.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    Vast majority as in how many? Unless you got about 3-4 million people posting in that thread I don't think you should be calling anything a majority.
    The vast majority in that thread yes. That is a vast majority isn't it, atleast of which he speaks. That you want him to come up with numbers of all actual subscribers is something different. But yes he was talking about that thread.

It is so nice of people like you to come up to threads and debate wether or not a certain % is true or not. People inhere do not have numbers and to be frank neither does Blizzard. I don't get a weekly poll or survey in my mailbox from them, do you? We work with the numbers we do have. And this guy has been very active in getting a good idea (not 100% correct obviously) on what people want. It works for the same for polls people make on these forums aswell. It is an idea - an estimated guess, nothing more. And that guess is a hell of a lot better educated then someone who just comes inhere disagrees with an idea and then claims that the numbers provided are false...

Edited first post to clarify what I meant.
    Last edited by razski; 2013-01-30 at 01:45 PM.

Deleted
    I logged to Rift last night after midnight.
    It was night and it was wonderfull.
    I did not play the game, i just stood in sanctum looking at the torchlights casting shades and putting doncing light to faces.
    The night add something mystical, something memorable, builds up tension when wondering in the wilderness, makes you see the world under a totally different percspective!

I still have the fondest of memories while leveling in the night in duskwood.
    That place is trully amazing and so fitting of a true mmo rpg.
    I would be fully behind such a change, night is very much missed from wow, bring it on!

In open world games I often arrange the ingame time so that I will be doing my roaming during the night. The atmosphere is great, especially if A.I. responds to the time with torchlight etc.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

I miss when night was Night and not just daytime with a pair of cheap sunglasses added.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

10+ Year Old Account
    The vast majority in that thread yes. That is a vast majority isn't it, atleast of which he speaks. That you want him to come up with numbers of all actual subscribers is something different. But yes he was talking about that thread.

It is so nice of people like you to come up to threads and debate wether or not a certain % is true or not. People inhere do not have numbers and to be frank neither does Blizzard. I don't get a weekly poll or survey in my mailbox from them, do you? We work with the numbers we do have. And this guy has been very active in getting a good idea (not 100% correct obviously) on what people want. It works for the same for polls people make on these forums aswell. It is an idea - an estimated guess, nothing more. And that guess is a hell of a lot better educated then someone who just comes inhere disagrees with an idea and then claims that the numbers provided are false...

If he doesn't have the number he should make his post seem like he does.

As you see in the post below you he knows this and edited his post.

If he doesn't have the number he should make his post seem like he does.

As you see in the post below you he knows this and edited his post.
    Not really, I think he did it cause he wanted to make sure he didn't get yet another post like yours. I understood him... so why couldn't you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, I think he did it cause he wanted to make sure he didn't get yet another post like yours. I understood him... so why couldn't you?

Because you are some genius, and I'm just some scrub I guess.