Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Since we have pet battles...

How about mount races? Like upgrading your mount by buying parts, leveling them up, racing against your friends. The races would be like Mario Kart style where you pick items up and use them against other racers. What do you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think i'd be really neat, I could see it as a fleshed out concept, because we already have race kind of, even though it has only been ''flying races''. I could see it, but I think it would be introduced as an expac hook.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lemme dig up an old post I made on this topic a few months ago... BRB, I'll edit this.

Edit:

Could be something like this.

Imagine it. It's phased, you start at the Horde base. Choose to go either left or right. Left road is longer but has 2 speedboosts, so thats a risk/reward thing going on.
    Both roads converge near Grizzlemaw and the old destroyed World Tree. You race up the fallen tree (with another speedboost) and leap off the end, landing in Camp Oneqwah. Across the Frog-Infested pond, through the carved out tunnel that goes underneath the great tree, and then down the Log-Ride waterway of Blue Sky Logging Grounds, all the way down to the finish at Venture Bay's lighthouse.

Just add some invisible walls in the phased area so you cant take super-shortcuts and yer good.

==================================

"Buffs on Touch" are already ingame.

As is the mechanic to 'force' constant forward movement. Remember the 'runner' quest in Stormwind/Ogrimmar during the pre-Cata event? You were sent to gather supplies outside the gates, though you couldnt stop running. (Could be I'm remembering some other world event, but..) Also Brewfast Rams, constant forward movement. You can steer, you can crash into things, but you cant stop.

The racetracks could be phased zones. Going too far offroad or trying to cut corners would net you the "You've entered this area and will be dismounted in 3 seconds, gtfo!" buff, which is already in place in Wintergrasp when the battle's going on and you try and enter it on your flying mount.

All in all, looking at whats possible and already done ingame, making this work is honestly not that hard to do...
    Last edited by Chonar; 2013-01-30 at 02:23 PM.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by Korru View Post
    How about mount races? Like upgrading your mount by buying parts, leveling them up, racing against your friends. The races would be like Mario Kart style where you pick items up and use them against other racers. What do you think?
    I think it sounds fantastic except from the Mario Kart styliee . In all honesty, great idea.

I like the idea. There's plenty of open areas, an ocean zone, the open skies. They've already kind of done this with the little Order rep items like the flags, smoke circles, etc. Have hourly, daily, or weekly races, kind of like the fishing weeklies, at the specific time the race starts, and people race against each other. It would be fun if they added items of a mario-kart style. The gnomes and goblins could make an underwater racing course where the salt flats (the original racing zone) used to be.

Possibilities would be endless. The actual development of it, maybe more complicated, but it is still a cool idea nonetheless.

EDIT: Or, possibly queues for it? Prize bags for the Top 5 finishers, containing valor points, and possibly potions, pets, mounts, ilvl X items, etc.
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

*inserts mother of god.jpg!*

Wow what a cool idea! you should post this on the official forums! i'd be in for a bit of trollolol madness such as this. Ground mounts only ofc!

Deleted
    I like the way you think.

Please give this some extra thought, maybe using the examples of Chonar and suggest this at the official forums!

As long as I don't have to go up against Sebulba. Dude's one mean mofo.

Er... wrong franchise.

Surprisingly good idea though; I'd definitely try it out for poops and giggles.

before cata, we had a race track in the shimmering flats inside the 1k needles.
    however with cata this area got flooded with water.
    but it would be nice ye.

WoW kart, go!

Garrosh is Bowser!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would definitely go for this. The cloud mount race shows this is already more than possible just with racing against NPCs. As with the pet battles, it could be expanded to PvP too. I'd want it limited to just the ground mounts at first. Like Mario Kart rather than Diddy Kong Racing, though water walking mounts like the hoverboats (only much more controllable) are already around come to think about it.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could see some form of this being crazy fun. The upgrade idea bothers me though. What "parts" does one buy to upgrade an animal, and more importantly, where/how do you install it?
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

The concept sounds cool and I can definitely see how it would work out in game...

My question with it is, how do you make it something that'll last in the game?

Like, what's the long-term appeal of racing mounts?

Sure, there's the obvious daily race and prize box with super leet lewts. But what else would keep people interested and keep them coming back to this?

yup the more the better, and people that "duh this is kidish" can go to hell, it will be a totally optional feature, that are not going to affect heroic raiding or rated Bgs and you can complety avoid if you want (like the pet battles)

In fact, I am not sure, I remember that someone of the blizzard developer said that they wanted to do something more with mounts

Sure why not.
    Twas brillig

Deleted
    Only if everyone's mount speeds during the race get scaled down to 200% speed, it wouldn't be fair if paladins were faster.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korru View Post
    Is it bad that my first thought was, "I would totally give my horse robot legs."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    Is it bad that my first thought was, "I would totally give my horse robot legs."
    this was my first thought too x.x how the hell do you buy parts to upgrade a fucking animal lmao

edit:

though i could just see it now, when losing your first race you get an achievement "You would if you had robot legs"
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alix View Post
    The concept sounds cool and I can definitely see how it would work out in game...

My question with it is, how do you make it something that'll last in the game?

Like, what's the long-term appeal of racing mounts?

Sure, there's the obvious daily race and prize box with super leet lewts. But what else would keep people interested and keep them coming back to this?
    Queue for it.
    5-man.

First place gets 40 VP and a Scenario completion Chest.
    Second and third get 20 VP.
    Every participant gets 50 JP for finishing the race.

Random Race:
    1K Needles Aquatrack (kalimdor)
    Gilneas City Derby (eastern kingdoms)
    The Netherstorm Superboost (outland)
    Grizzly Hills Offroading (northrend)
    Krasarang Raceway (pandaria)

Finish first + Set a new speed record for yourself = Misty Satchel of Exotic Mysteries

Reputation level similar to Brawler's Guild, levelled up by finishing first and setting server-wide records.

High rep rewards being racing-themed mounts, pets, vanity items, and a checkered-flag 5% extra experience tabard heirloom.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

had to laugh hard when reading this ! good idea