Thread: Wizardry Online

10+ Year Old Account

Wizardry Online

Won't even load.
    Last edited by Blue Minuteman; 2013-02-18 at 05:25 AM.

I tried it in beta and I wasn't too impressed. The forced text crawl cutscenes at the start were not a strong starting point, and gameplay from there was pretty slow to start with.

Gonna give it another shot though, it does seem semi-interesting. Nice to see it on Steam though, was wondering if they'd release it there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I downloaded it and created a character. I think today is the launch day. Loading times took forever. Character creation was boring about 5 choices for face, hair and hair color. You choose between Lawful, Neutral, Chaos. Then 1 of 4 classes. You also get a random number of points to allocate, which is stupid. You can keep going over and over again until you get enough points.

Deleted
    Going to try it in a few weeks once it's settled down just to see; but to be honest I watched a few beta gameplay videos and it didn't look that impressive. Still, it's free to play and it's through steam so easy enough to install/uninstall and find out

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it needs a bit more polish, even for an open beta. Can't see other player's health bars, I'm apparently not allowed to change keybinds, setting screen resolution only affects UI... it has potential for greatness with action-y combat (l2dodge/block!) and a character progression system that reminds me of the retro DnD-inspired games, but polish will be needed.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Yeah, it needs a bit more polish, even for an open beta. Can't see other player's health bars, I'm apparently not allowed to change keybinds, setting screen resolution only affects UI... it has potential for greatness with action-y combat (l2dodge/block!) and a character progression system that reminds me of the retro DnD-inspired games, but polish will be needed.
    They only key binds that I've gotten to stick are the movement keys...

Downloaded but have not actually tried it yet. I spent a lot of time on Wizardry back in the 90s so I got to give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Downloaded but have not actually tried it yet. I spent a lot of time on Wizardry back in the 90s so I got to give it a shot.
    Not even remotely the same thing.. nor is it by the same people. Those oldschool Wizardry games were the bomb, but this.. not so sure. The only similarity so far as I can tell is the name of the game.

*edit* Apparently it's based on the classic franchise, however I'm failing to see any similarities..
    *double edit*
    Sony describes Wizardry Online as "a fully re-imagined Wizardry game that stays true to the franchise's trademark features: hardcore gameplay, intense difficulty, party-based combat and permadeath -- where when you're dead... you stay dead!"
    ... so any game with that combination of features is a re-imagined Wizardry game? Pretty sure they just described half a dozen other games.
    Last edited by Schmiggy; 2013-01-31 at 03:33 AM.

Sure as heck feels like a early 90's game when you try to fight. Downloaded it today after hearing on a forum about how its "so hardcore" and how its gonna be so much more intense and fun than any mmo out there. only to feel like I could be more taken watching paint dry.

Impressive connecting screen. Thats all I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Impressive connecting screen. Thats all I have seen.
    Haha, yep... Same here. =/

Oh, did you see the part with swinging lanterns and skeletons up against the wall!?
    I thought it was going to be a Online game, but apparently it wasn't. Teased me with a connect button though. ):<
    Had a bit of trouble closing it out to, it's so hard core that I haven't yet found the secret to un-ghost the exit button!
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-02-01 at 04:32 AM.

The permadeath is what turned me off. It sounded interesting but permadeath is a definite deal breaker for me.

Played it for a bit, controls seem bad and interface was not that great. It might get one more try before the uninstall

10+ Year Old Account
    Mm it was interesting and I really liked how cute the gnomes are, but it was so laggy. I'd run forward, and get teleported a few steps backward. An interesting concept and I'd love to try some higher dungeons, but not worth that frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmiggy View Post
    Not even remotely the same thing.. nor is it by the same people. Those oldschool Wizardry games were the bomb, but this.. not so sure. The only similarity so far as I can tell is the name of the game.
    Indeed, I wanted to give it a go, but thanks to some poster who noted - it has "action-y combat". All Wizadry games were about tactical combat, so yeah - manual dodging is deal breaker and not Wizardry-like at all.

Well, gave it another try and was able to finally connect. Watched a low res pre-rendered video, but it was pretty cool. Crazy demons, blood shed, and some metal rock. I was feeling like a real pumped bad ass now - - And then a sudden change in the rage music to some flaky cheery crap and a wide eyed ugly looking cartoon figure... Was going, "what the hell!?"
    Haven't seen any of the game play videos, wanted to keep it a surprise... and well, I was surprised.
    After the weird soul name and silly 4 digit number password, I was disconnected and unable to play. T__T *sigh*
    Will give it 3 more days before uninstalling.
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-02-03 at 05:32 AM.