Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Lots of villages and towns die in europe and in the US every year, that is not something restricted to china, rural exodos and aging populations and lack of opportunities in such lands are the cause of it, not lack of females, and yes, it doesnt really matter that those villages die off, the villagers didnt, they moved away.
    Yeah, when I said villages died I meant villagers moved out. Young people go out and look for work in major cities is a factor. Male/Female ratio is also another factor. It is not uncommon to see villages to have 10 young man with 1 young female. At that point, regardless if you want to move out to look for work or not, you will end up moving out and that's why the differences between gender is also a cause. In richer villages closer to the shore, it's also not uncommon to buy/import female from other places. In this case, the deal is done for marriage instead of servitude.

This not a problem in major cities as more educated Chinese understand the value of female is not worse than male. So you do not see this situation in major cities.
    their moving their table over their
    they're moving they're table over they're
    there moving there table over there

Yeah i know, but i was just arguying to the part that villages dying is bad, not necessarily, those people might move to better villages (cities arent that great so wont refer to those) and have better quality of life, if lack of females is what forces that to happen, then happy lack of females :P
    Life quality is more important than tradition imo, but then again... not all view it that way, but i mean its normal for villages to die off, change is normal and even desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Yeah i know, but i was just arguying to the part that villages dying is bad, not necessarily, those people might move to better villages (cities arent that great so wont refer to those) and have better quality of life, if lack of females is what forces that to happen, then happy lack of females :P
    Life quality is more important than tradition imo, but then again... not all view it that way, but i mean its normal for villages to die off, change is normal and even desirable.
    Lacking female and causing villages to die isn't a problem on its own. The main problem is the lack of female is caused manually as opposed to naturally. It is illegal in China for doctors to tell parents the sex of the child to prevent female fetus abortions. So what happens to female babies? They are often killed or sold as prostitutes. If you like them young (10+ years old) then go to Hong Kong and ask other business people where are men supposed to go north of HK and they will give you the right direction.

But yeah, social and environmental issues are definitely present in China and it is very difficult for Chinese governemnt to solve. There are simply too many people and the land is too big. Combine that with corruption and the rampant "you are not cheating if you are not caught" mentality then you have a serious problem.

Though like I said earlier, Chinese government would be able to solve these kind of problems if they put their minds to it. The big word here is "if".
    their moving their table over their
    they're moving they're table over they're
    there moving there table over there

Yeah, that is a problem i dont disagree at all.
    I was talking only about the villages disappearing

Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    THE air is so bad, you can see barely 200m down the road. People are hiding behind masks. And one man is selling fresh air in a can. This is the crisis facing China.

Anyone want to buy fresh air in a can???
    I'm selling them $50 for a can

http://www.news.com.au/world/toxic-s...-1226565630662
    Not to belittle the situation or anything but that reminds me so much of the new The Lorax. xD selling fresh air and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yes, but not in such heavy numbers that it's going to cause the collapse of China, like some people seem to believe.
    Not a collapse, but some serious issues yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a collapse, but some serious issues yes.
    Very true. There are many instances where a young woman has a younger brother. She is raised to believe that it is her duty to help take care of him and also her parents. This means any girl that has the most minimal level of attractiveness is pushed to go out and land the best catch she can, while demanding as high a price as she can get away with (one version of the "no house, no car, no money" schtick). This, in turn, means that young men who don't have enough money are bid out of the game, but it isn't as if they bear no responsibility for the mess.

The young men want someone who will cook, clean, take care of their parents and be good breeding stock. What does that mean? She should be at least 150 cm, but with 170+ strongly preferred, she should also have a BA/BS from a prestigious university but higher than that may be a liability. As told to me by a grad student: "China has three genders -- men, women and women with advanced degrees". The young woman should also have features usually only found in anime, but should not have had plastic surgery. As an otherwise well educated young man told me, it would be OK to date a woman who had had plastic surgery but not to marry her since he couldn't be sure his kids would be as beautiful as he wanted. Oh, and they think women have a shelf life -- younger is better and over 26 is "sheng nv" or a leftover woman.

To recap -- the young women are only willing to consider a small proportion of the available population (until they turn 27 and then they would consider marrying a yak to escape the "leftover" designation, some are even frantic enough to date me). The young men are probably even pickier. All the while, the rich guys are throwing things off even further by buying their strings of mistresses. Hmmm... actually, this all tends to hurt my brain enough to make the pollution seem like a minor annoyance.

Iggie, say hello to the guys over on Coweaters for me. I'm guessing that when you say "bottled water" you mean the usual jugs, you might look into a decent filter system as an alternative. I haven't had any problems with any of the ones I've used and you'll save a good bit of money over a year.