Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    There used to be a time were everyone said a super hero movie could never successfully be done. Then we got The Dark Knight and Avengers. I would reserve judgement till it's actually made.
    I think it's best to look at it with caution at best for any game adaption.

Video game adaptions have just never done all that well. I don't think I could reserve judgement completely given the material and where it's coming from. Given blizzards own statement, WOw has always had a silly aspect to it. Does that translate into the movie too? Cause I hope not. What a quick death that would cause in my eyes.

However, Superhero movies at least have been doing well since the original superman with Reeves and Batman with Micheal Keeton and those are pretty far back now. Some better than others but game adaptions rarely do all that well and rarely, if ever leave you wanting more.

Whether is succeeds or not will ultimately depend on how well Duncan Jones can ride the "line" as I call it. Many movies like the Avengers succeeded because it walked the "line" between what the fans of comics wanted to see, and what audiences wanted to see. Movies like the first Mortal Kombat came close, with a few bad breaks (the reptile fight scene) that totally broke the line, while the second one didn't even care, turning into nothing but a cameo-a-thon. Resident Evil is another example, where the first one was close (while relying way to much on false action) and the second one turning into basically "Alice the Superwoman". Don't even get me started on Street Fighter, which was more a parody of the game then a movie about it. Here are the rules that, if he follows them, can possibly make this a great movie.

Pick one side to be the main focus, but give the other side nuanced goals and noticeable screen time. Don't make the Alliance into noble heroes and the Horde into evil savages that only play the antagonists.

Don't try to fit hundreds of famous characters into it. One or two is fine as long as they make sense in the context of the story, but we don't need fifty different named guys to appear for that "oh oh oh I remember him!" moments. Same goes for locations. Keep it tight to the story.

Don't make too many tongue in cheek game jokes. If you do make them, keep them VERY subtle. We don't need the character winking at the camera about them every few minutes or a main guy telling another "You are not prepared!".

This all leads to really the most important thing, treat the setting with respect. So many turn these movies into almost parodies of the game in question rather then a serious take on trying to tell the story. That is where most of them fail.

Im assuming its gonna be like "THe First Airbenber" Movie...

Deleted
    They need to start with the Kalimdor invasion of the Horde > Mannoroth flashback and info, gul'dan, etc. Thats Movie 1
    Then for movie 2: The illidan story. How he was banished, and his journey to the skull of guldan and his pairing up with Vasj and Kaelthas.

Now, big story lines isn't hard. The problem is: Whos gonna kill Illidan? Witness the invasion? You need a 1st person perspective character to bond with, otherwise it's going to look like a documentary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't wait for the trailer :3

In making a movie about a game like WoW, they must strike a sharp balance on several fronts. First, it has to be something new. People aren't as inclined to go see a movie when they already know how everything unfolds. It can't be just a retelling of the events of Warcraft 3, the Burning Crusade Expansion, etc. Yet, at the same time, there have to be strong elements in the movie that are familiar to the millions of fans that will no doubt flock to see it (I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see Sylvanas on the big screen!). Second, the Warcraft fans are split into two conflicting parties: Horde and Alliance. In creating "the" Warcraft movie, they have to be fair to both, else they risk alienating half of the entire fan base. If it isn't something more than "good" humans fighting "bad" orcs, then the movie will be a wanna-be Lord of the Rings. We already have that; give us something that represents the duplicity of the Warcraft universe! I think this was most successfully done in the movie "Troy" (With Brad Pitt, Eric Bana, etc.). There were good guys you rooted for on the side of the Greeks and Trojans alike, just as there were unsavory characters on each side. Whatever the story, that fair treatment is essential to any Warcraft movie.

Not looking forward to this movie. Its going to be pg-13 and that's gonna kill it for me. Ill stick to game of thrones.

Deleted
    They'd better add a few steamy hot sexy scenes in this movie. It's 'bout time we saw some nakid blood elves ( not counting the made-up ones in the ever so known tentacle hentays available on the interwebz )
    I really wonder how it's going to turn out. Will they also focus on the /trade (anal) spam in the main cities, bots everywhere, idiots trying to scam or just mock you for no reason...and my personal favorite....SPENDING time on getting gear. ( For some reason, I expect a wow movie to be a video on grinding ) )

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    The director is not going to make this a great movie or even good. The script/story needs to be great to have any chance. Screenwriters do not get enough credit for a good or great movies, it's always the director. I always look and see who is writing the script and or story but i will say if we have a good story, a bad director can screw it up and make it also bad. A good director cannot make a bad script good imo.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Deleted
    Wasnt the film said to be set during the second war (way back when it was Sam Raimi who was meant to be directing)? Im sure i heard that somewhere official(ish)
    I always hope Blizzard would release WoW movies more in line with the machinima style patch trailers, like the awfull resident evil ones ... but better... Full CGI would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    There used to be a time were everyone said a super hero movie could never successfully be done. Then we got The Dark Knight and Avengers. I would reserve judgement till it's actually made.
    Riddick was pretty damn good. Or was the game based on the movie? I don't remember...
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Riddick was pretty damn good. Or was the game based on the movie? I don't remember...
    The Chronicles of Riddick movie was a sequel to Pitch Black, which as far as I can tell wasn't based on anything directly. Any games for the series would be based on the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Chronicles of Riddick the game and Chronicles of Riddick the movie are completely different things.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

100m isnt much for an epic movie.. avatar had a budget of almost 3x that and it sucked imo.. granted wow proly wont get the same budget. but considering the 10m subscribers they should atleast try to make the wow movie somewhat decent.

10+ Year Old Account
    This guy would make a perfect elf. He has the perfect slender build and can portray the cockiness that is among so many elves perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolman View Post
    Im assuming its gonna be like "THe First Airbenber" Movie...
    Thankfully there never was such a movie. The cartoon though on Nick was superb, and if the WoW movie could come even close to that they would be doing amazing.

I SAID THERE WAS NO SUCH MOVIE.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekay View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Animation is too cartoony for WoW and live action is cheesy, but live action with CGI would be perfect
    This! Yes to this!

4 years gap? There will be Onyxia... YAY