10+ Year Old Account

Garalon issues..

Fellow Brothers and Sisters in darkness,
    First my Character is US- Voldemort at the realm blackhand (I think I'm too new to post links)
    My guilds progression isn't the best, but we're at Galaron Normal 10 man.
    I'm generally #1 or 2 dmg done per boss on our 10 man runs, but on this boss I just seem to fail at doing great dmg.

We kill two legs and turn the boss clockwise. I aid in Pheromone kiting, I always try to keep dots up on the legs, try to stay in the weak point zones, Sometimes when I do kite though I'm out of range.

Any tips, I don't want to be benched over one fight.

ps- I'm Affliction.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...emort/advanced

Don't work to multi-dot the legs unless your standing in their circles; ideally you'll have a couple of cleave melee killing the legs alone (after the opening; you'll probably need to kill a couple of legs to slow down the boss's movement), after which you ought to be attacking the body like any other patchwerk fight (single taaarget). KJC should let you DPS with impunity through the entire run out to kite, kite, and run back in. If you're having range trouble during kiting, run in squares while Garalon walks at you and it should be fine.

If you ARE assigned to legs, keep dots on the body (don't ever let agony drop) and dots on the leg you've got weakness on.

What is your current/target DPS?

General recommendations: get more hit! 12-15% is really needed for proper dot management. That's really about all I've got for that, other than hit you seem to be reforged relatively well, but I might easily be missing something.
    Last edited by Kael; 2013-01-31 at 05:46 AM.

Yeah after the first few legs are down concentrate on the body. Unless you don't have any melee cleaving types. As well, do remember to use your defensive cool downs when kiting. It will slightly reduce the pain on the mana batteries (healers).

Quote Originally Posted by Mugajak View Post

Don't work to multi-dot the legs unless your standing in their circles
    Strongly disagree. Open the fight with sb:ss on the body and mg for all procs while standing directly where his front leg will turn to after pheromones go out. Haunt-->sb:ss mg til about 15ish then inhale it off that leg and swap it onto a far leg while redotting up everything else. Maintain dots on everything up 100% of the time while going into circles when available. Easy 145k+. Scumbag dps or go home. Prioritize dots on all available targets > mg > haunt.

edit: Download SUF if you havent and make liberal use of the boss frames, helps for wote as well~

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/l...8&e=8211#Ezzyz
    Last edited by Ezzyo; 2013-01-31 at 09:31 AM.

For Ezzo what you are suggesting is called "WoL-Whoring"

As affliction I strongly suggest to refrain yourself for trying to be 1st place. Here are some guidelines.

If you have cleavers in your roster (combat rogue and arms warrior are the best) keep one leg alive all the time.
    If you are not kiting you can grab some DPS with KJC and going into the legs but NEVER at the expense of letting your DOT drop on the body.
    Also, it seems that if you DOT one legs while beiing OUTSIDE of the circle, THEN entering it, your dot will scale up.
    If you are kitting, don't dot the legs, you will only hurt the raid's DPS.

If you don't have cleavers then feel free to ignore my comments they will not apply to you, but warlock must NOT WoLWhoring on this fight unless it is farm content, you will only hurt your raid progression :/

Since you're kiting, it's going to be virtually impossible to top the DPS meters. You won't be able to take full advantage of the leg buff to increase your damage, so you will inevitably fall behind those that can. Your main jobs are to keep pheromone stacks from getting to high, keep pools from covering too much of the room, and keep Garalon from spinning like a top. As long as you can do that, it's primarily up to your melee and non-kiting ranged DPS to deal the bulk of of the damage.

That said, there are a few things you can do to maximize your DPS. First, it doesn't matter much whether you focus on legs or the body. Ideally, you want to be standing next to the legs to deal extra damage to them, but you won't always be in position to do so while kiting or running to pick up pheromones. The body may end up being a better target if you're out at range for long periods of time because it's more stable, the legs tend to die frequently which means you'd constantly be reapplying DoTs if you focus on them. Multi-DoT when you can, but if something's out of range (like a leg on the complete opposite side of the boss) don't stress over it too much, especially if you're mid-kite. If you haven't already, spec for KjC on this fight, it's definitely an encounter where that talent shines.

Deleted
    Our guild has gone through lots of different tactics to reduce hassle with this boss. The most straight forward one that we use is:

4 kiters - 2 healers and 2 ranged dps
    We have 4 dps assigned to specfic legs and the others are ffa

At the pull (since he has a very small aggro range) the 1st kiter (our Holy priest) stands right between his front leg circles just infront of his body circle. The specific leg dps stand right next to their leg circles. We pop hero and all cooldowns at the pull to get all the legs down before he reaches the wall, makes it much easier to start the kiting this way.

Then, as soon as he is in his kiting position (slowly moving around the outside of the room) all dps and healers stand in the centre of the room for aoe healing, when far legs spawn ranged dot them up and continue on body, when near legs spawn all dps jump on them for the extra dmg

The new kiters move into position (close to the front left leg if kiting counter-clockwise or front right leg if kiting clockwise) when the current kiter reaches around 17-18 stacks and then run and switch the debuff at 20. The old kiter runs in a beeline to the centre of the room to ensure that the debuff isnt accidentally switched back again (avoiding the cleave can make this difficult some times.)

Make sure you have KC as this is a god send here. Just keep your rotation up and keep moving slowly while you have the debuff and then go back to the centre once you've handed over the debuff.

Keep switching over to near legs and use the dmg buff circles, and dot up far legs when you can. Other than that stay on the boss.

If you are lining up cooldowns try and pop them for the near legs.
    If lots of people are on the legs drain soul earlier so that the 1st tick happens sub 20% and you get a massive tick or two
    Last edited by mmocc7ae5c5557; 2013-01-31 at 10:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, thank you community with providing such great feed back.
    It sounds like I'm doing mostly everything listed here, but Just probably kiting too far. Our guild has a whole seems to.
    It doesn't help we have a arcane mage doing 40k dps lol. My target dps is usually in the 75k-85k range on target dummies.
    I left my hit low b/c of MrRoboto, and honestly ever since my DPS did go up, even though I find myself screaming like an idiot when I miss.
    So I might have to adjust. We have a frost DK doing insane dmg, and the rest is all range, here's to hoping can the bad mage for a rogue and I step up my game.
    I'd post a link to our world of logs, but I need to post more! ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Shauni View Post
    If you are kitting, don't dot the legs, you will only hurt the raid's DPS..
    If this was the garalon before the hotfixes over 2 months ago, I'd probably agree with you, but a warlock moving with the inner leg's circles loses a gcd spreading dots, BF and SS are far more limiting. With melee moving on the inner (front left and back left) legs, I move with them. Thanks to the magic of KJC, what makes your cleave not cleave here?
    Last edited by Ezzyo; 2013-01-31 at 03:55 PM.

I find the best place for an affliction lock to be in the galaron fight is behind galaron (not as a kiter). your job priority is 1) back legs then 2) body. we usually assign 2 people in the back, and everyone else is on the front. when a back leg spawns, get in the circle and go wild on it, otherwise your just keeping your dots up on his body. When hes about to crush, pop demon armor, use healthstone glyphs and sac your void for his health buff ability to rotate for crushes because the healers will not always be able to reach you to heal you, but your drain healing and your abilities should be able to give you the survivability you need to continue.

10+ Year Old Account
    everyone thank you so much for the input, I'll post more on the forums and post my WoL next raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzyo View Post
    Thanks to the magic of KJC, what makes your cleave not cleave here?
    I agree that KJC allows you to Dot while running but my point stands.

You will do more DPS by multidotting, that's basic understanding. But your DoT will drain the boss' life VERY slowly, Agony will have to ramp up and you will have to use two shards (SB:SS & Haunt) to do decent damage.

Other cleaving classe or stand-in-circle-DPS will outperform you, thus making a better rDPS.

And the two shards you had used would have been better spent on haunting the boss, but I don't have math about that, the point is : if you can't stant in a circle you are jjust stealing DPS from more deserving folks

I agree that KJC allows you to Dot while running but my point stands.

You will do more DPS by multidotting, that's basic understanding. But your DoT will drain the boss' life VERY slowly, Agony will have to ramp up and you will have to use two shards (SB:SS & Haunt) to do decent damage.
    I peaked just shy of 400k dps at the start, doesn't seem to be draining the boss very slowly. In response to agony ramp up...inhale a dying leg and soul swap to a new spawn? The far legs, which we dont have melee hitting at all never lose a 10 stack of agony until I kite or the leg bugs out with los on the stairs. Also corruption constantly on anywhere from 3-4 targets makes it a tad hard to run out of shards. Shards that you wouldn't otherwise generate by following your advice.

Other cleaving classe or stand-in-circle-DPS will outperform you, thus making a better rDPS.
    Are we referring to heroic or normal? The melee group (myself included) have about 4 seconds of downtime, usually around a crush, before a new leg came up. Do you suggest the monks with their terrible cleave stay out of the melee group as well and just leave your 1 or 2 rogues + warrior in the circles?

And the two shards you had used would have been better spent on haunting the boss, but I don't have math about that
    It's pretty obvious without even looking through the log that this statement is false.

A "bug" with the fight in the first 2 months that allowed rogues and warriors blowing rage on sweeping strikes to do absurd amounts of damage are long gone, the fight doesn't work the way you think it does anymore. A class (warlock) that loses nothing from cleaving SHOULD be cleaving. More apt players will be able to maintain dots on the outside legs + body and the current leg up the majority of the fight and thus have a constant influx of shards.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzyo View Post
    tl/dr
    Speaking of normal here like the OP.

In normal legs die quickly (like 7 seconds). VERY quickly. Also from a 25 man raid perspective so you have a lot of good cleaver. I did said that without proper cleaver my advices are irrelevant. In Hard Mode I understand that legs have so much HP that fully cleaving them is not hurting anyone.

And no, even with the fix, cleaving classes still do absurd amount of DPS if allowed to stay on one leg. Even if it's not the broken numbers we saw before I agree. If you can maintain a leg alive at the whole time (not always the same obviously).

This has been discussed many times on many different topics (like evrellia's guide for example) on many different websites at it always point to this conclusion. Warlock are poor cleavers COMPARED to rogues or warriors WHEN KITTING so the better one have priority over ONE leg.

But I agree, my post didn't mention the "keep corruption up at all legs" wich is a huge DPS gain for the warlock without stealing DPS from the raid. My bad.

So your "It's pretty obvious without even looking through the log that this statement is false." is not relevant to this discussion. It's true WITH CONTEXT (like 7 seconds and then poof leg-is-dead) but false otherwise. And "obvious" without proof is a logical fallacy but this is outside this discussion

Edit : Yeah also forgot to mention the inhale-body/exhale-leg wich is a huge DPS gain, my appologies
    Last edited by Shauni; 2013-02-01 at 10:27 AM.

And "obvious" without proof is a logical fallacy but this is outside this discussion
    It's obvious because maintaining dots on 4 targets will never give you the window to get the full mg benefit of a haunt on the body, much less 16 seconds of it (when an inner circle is up that is).

If it's normal then any advice you or I give on how to do the fight can be completely wrong given the OP's comp. However, the general advice you've given with the information provided by the OP (they dont have melee on the far legs) is still false.
    Last edited by Ezzyo; 2013-02-01 at 10:34 AM.

Thus my insistance of context. And the fact I said that without cleavers the rule changes.

No cleavers ? Full dot.
    Bad Cleavers ? Try to dot as possible, if legs survive more than 16 seconds or as I said your dot are essentially wasted (context, context !)
    Good cleavers ? Corru on the legs, enjoy the shards (insert palpatine's gif screaming "UNLIMITED POWAAAA" here)

Even with little to no context, we can still have rought guidelines. The explanation are as important as the conclusion.
    Last edited by Shauni; 2013-02-01 at 10:58 AM.