Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    It compares to dungeons and dragons online. A solid game that is full of bugs and microtransactions. With devs that add something new every once in a while, but otherwise don't really care about their product.
    Yeah. I am actually surprised WotC still gives the license to Standing Stones (formerly to Turbine), since DDO was based on 3rd edition, and they have 5th edition out (Neverwinter being based on 4th edition). I tried DDO numerous times and I just could never really get into that game at all. Lotro, on the other hand, I can actually enjoy from time to time. Neverwinter has some ok graphics, I guess. So that's one thing they have going for it.

Anyone here play the original Neverwinter MMO?

Quote Originally Posted by worgentophat View Post
    There's only been one Neverwinter MMO, and that's what this megathread is about. Do you mean the single player game that had some online multiplayer capabilities called Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2? Because those weren't MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by worgentophat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    There's only been one Neverwinter MMO, and that's what this megathread is about. Do you mean the single player game that had some online multiplayer capabilities called Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2? Because those weren't MMOs.
    Some servers in Neverwinter 1 and 2 was set up as MMO's biggest server I was on had over 60 people on at same time. And there was a rank list for the highest leveled people going to over 1k. different chars.

But yeah there is only 1 MMO. Unless he is referring to dungeon and dragons online. Which is similar but much older.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Offtopic, but probably mentioning this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverw...91_video_game)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post

Forgot about that game to be honest, I was only 1 year old at the time
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post

Ah, this is the first time I have heard of that one. I was never in a family rich enough to afford a computer back then (we couldn't even afford the SNES, and just had the NES until the Playstation came out), so I know of no computer games prior to 1996 unless they were on an Apple IIe in a school computer lab. I just learned something today.

I follow so many MMO youtubers and never saw anyone talk about Neverwinter...
    I decided to try
    The game runs smooth as butter on my computer and seems fun.

Anything i should know about this game before i dwell into it further?

Population on Steam charts seems hype. 2600 at peak time today

Quote Originally Posted by MMOTherapist View Post
    I decided to try

Out of all the F2P mmo's, i found i enjoy this one the most. Usually play it for a few months at a time in between wow content lulls.

they did a big combat rework recently that annoyed many people, but things are starting to get better.

Lots of stuff to do, and i really like the DnD lore.

Quote Originally Posted by MMOTherapist View Post
    I decided to try

I play on occasion (usually starting a new character as I've forgotten how to play), but it seems like the past year has been one of issues with some of the design changes from Cryptic. I'm not sure what's going on now, but I haven't seen the reddit blowing up (which is my usual signal to poke around and see what's causing the fire) so I imagine things have calmed down.

It's just a much smaller MMO with a lot of folks playing on console and through the native launcher/Arc. Still seems to be pretty well supported, though no new classes/races in a while, but content etc. is free.

It's pretty fun IMO. Don't expect "real" action combat, it's a partial action combat system with a bit of "auto-aim" which causes some problems when trying to hit a specific enemy in a group.

Thank you guys! I was expecting someone would instantly point out red flags but got positive feedback instead

I tried it and after a few hours it just didn't jive with me, its not good is the feelingI got from playing it for many small reasons nothing I can point out, but if you can enjoy it then thats good, and the most important thing for a game

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    I tried it and after a few hours it just didn't jive with me, its not good is the feelingI got from playing it for many small reasons nothing I can point out, but if you can enjoy it then thats good, and the most important thing for a game
    Probably Cryptic's in-house engine. It's...weird, and the same quirks follow it through every incarnation (Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Neverwinter, and maybe even the MTG game). Movement can be...a bit odd, and animations operate weirdly (run into a wall, watch your animation functionally come to a dead halt).

It's not "terrible", just a bit odd and very easy to understand why it may turn some folks off. I guess after so many years of casually playing their games I've kinda gotten used to it and more just chuckle when I run into those odd quirks.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Probably Cryptic's in-house engine. It's...weird, and the same quirks follow it through every incarnation (Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Neverwinter, and maybe even the MTG game). Movement can be...a bit odd, and animations operate weirdly (run into a wall, watch your animation functionally come to a dead halt).

It's not "terrible", just a bit odd and very easy to understand why it may turn some folks off. I guess after so many years of casually playing their games I've kinda gotten used to it and more just chuckle when I run into those odd quirks.
    The game resonated more with me than ESO.
    Maybe is because im 30 years+ and this kind of graphics/movement is nostalgic to me?
    The realistic graphics and vibe of ESO seemed weird to me though

Ah don't get me started on ESO, that thing can give you a stress attack xD

I keep coming back to neverwinter and every time its the same thing. I love love LOVE leveling in that game. I kinda enjoy many of the events. some of the early group content is fun. but the moment I get anywhere near max level and the boon grind looms... I just.. I cant. its not a bad game by any means, there is a lot engaging about it, but holy mother of grind/alt unfriendliness... they HAVE been fixing some of the issues. and they do add content pretty steadily. so there is that.

still don't like what they did to my cleric though, i used to love playing her and now she feels awful and slow and weak to me.

NWO is pretty good but I quit playing many years ago. The monetization wasn't great if I remember correctly.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I actually enjoy the combat/gameplay quite a bit, def one my favorite action combat of any mmo i've played, early game is great, mid-late game is great, learning your class, and getting good at your class feels rewarding. Story is okay, it's DnD so not super deep but it's fun killing all the DnD monsters with the fun combat, voice acting is okay, but then you hit the end game and uhhh it's imo, bad. you will grind forever, for upgrades so few and far between, and barely even worth it as they will be very miniscule it's, i guess some people's jam. and there is sooooo much to grind because the campaigns unlock permanent boons but if that's your thing, you won't get bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    but the moment I get anywhere near max level and the boon grind looms... I just.. I cant.
    I dreaded the boon grind when i started back up (i originally played on PS4 but picked it back up in PC)

It's actually not so bad anymore. It seems that every week there's a 2x bonus event for a specific legacy campaign to finish it faster. Also Genie's Gifts which give campaign currency are relatively cheap and help with the progress. Also for alts you can craft an item that helps you finish the campaign even faster (but i haven't done any alts yet that i spend time on).

Also the weekly legacy quests help as well. Sometimes you can literally finish a campaign during that week (like the old sharandar or dread ring).

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless they changed it since I played, Neverwinter has genuine pay to win mechanics, and no not like "buy some gold for content skipping" but actual "buy this shit and get better stuff than everyone who doesn't far, far faster".
    Speciation Is Gradual