Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

New Gaming Desktop

Decided I needed some knowledgeable feedback about building a new gaming desktop since I have little know-how when it comes to customizing my own. I tried going through the past week or so of threads to see if anything matched (I'm sure I missed something), but all I could find were either higher budget rigs or someone that was upgrading and knew how to install the parts/assemble their own.

General Info:
    I'd like to have a desktop that can play a lot of the modern games on higher settings (not necessarily max/ultra). I have no idea how to physically put a new computer together or install upgrades, so I'm looking for a new premade tower (I have the monitor/keyboard/mouse/headset/etc.).

It's also very unlikely that I'll ever get into overclocking, and if I recall correctly that would mean I could go cheaper for certain parts. I'll also need a new OS, preferably staying with windows 7 as I've heard that 8 is having some software compatibility issues. The games I currently play are Skyrim, WoW, GW2, and Boarderlands 2 - and likely trying ESO when it drops. So I'm looking for something that'll run those on higher(est) settings, I'm not aiming for something that can run Far Cry 3 on max/ultra.

I'm giving my current tower to my brother, so nothing from it can be reused. I'm located in the Northeastern US.

Budget - As low as possible, but preferably no more than $800 ($900 if really wanted to upgrade 1 or 2 things in particular because they're that much better).

Other Info: It'll have to be wireless, as I have no cable availability for internet - I do have a cheap USB wireless card though. My current desktop runs WoW at 20 fps in empty zones/space and it comes to a standstill during lust/hero when 40 people are attacking Sha.

Preferences:
    I don't care if the tower looks like some futuristic spaceship; I'd much rather it be functional and have solid dust filters/ventilation. Although I wouldn't complain if it looked good as well. Other than that, I'm open to just about any and every suggestion.

Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks in advance for any assistance.

Do you know anyone who can build you one if you get the parts? I feel like that would be the cheapest way to go. I was able to piece together a build for less than $800 that should be pretty much what you need. Depending where in the Northeastern US you live I could possibly help you build it.

You should move this thread to http://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/3...d-Upgrade-Help

But here is the build I put together.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($194.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Other: Wireless card ($24.07)
    Total: $752.52
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-31 03:57 EST-0500)

Here's the link to that wireless card. http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN9...=wireless+card

Deleted
    I won't be able to comment on buying a new tower, but I do have one thing to mention.
    Don't forget that OEM's generally make 20-30% extra profit on a pc versus building one with the same components yourself.

Even spending 50 bucks on someone fairly local to come help out would save you loads. (Or, won't save you loads but you'll get a bigger bang for your buck)

Just building it yourself without prior knowledge might not work out great. I've had my share of fried motherboards and other busted components because I didn't have the knowhow yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jholdaway View Post
    Do you know anyone who can build you one if you get the parts? I feel like that would be the cheapest way to go. I was able to piece together a build for less than $800 that should be pretty much what you need. Depending where in the Northeastern US you live I could possibly help you build it.

You should move this thread to http://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/3...d-Upgrade-Help

But here is the build I put together.

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($194.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Other: Wireless card ($24.07)
    Total: $752.52
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-31 03:57 EST-0500)

Here's the link to that wireless card. www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN951N-Wireless-Advanced-Adapter/dp/B0034CL2ZI/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1359621770&sr=1-2&keywords=wireless+card

I'd add THIS tot hat list also, as he said, he'd stretch to $900 if it was super worth it, an SSD is super worth it. And only pushes the budget to $828.28, Hell, if your happy to spend $900 I would, and grab yourself on of These. Your other option, would be jump to an i5 like this

The SSD would improve quality of life more than anything, the i5 would improve performance, ALOT.

Quoted build with 64GB SSD = $ 828.28
    Quoted build with 128GB SSD = $ 863.72
    Quoted build with i5 CPU = $ 846.29 *** This would Yield the best gaming performance ***

I'd go with the i5, and add an SSD at a later date, personally. As you loose nothing by adding a SSD, but if you replace the CPU after a little while, you'd waste $129.99 :P You'd also be able to keep all your data stored on the hard drive linked above, its hastle free to do. when you add the SSD just disconnect the HDD, swap the mobo to AHCI mode and install windows, plug the HDD back in and copy what you want over.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickntender View Post
    I'd like to have a desktop that can play a lot of the modern games on higher settings (not necessarily max/ultra). I have no idea how to physically put a new computer together or install upgrades, so I'm looking for a new premade tower (I have the monitor/keyboard/mouse/headset/etc.).
    This above setup would play anything on High-Ish. You'd ultra WoW easy, but more demanding games, Metro2033, Bf3 e.t.c would have to stay Med-High. Also, Building a PC is easier than you think. I did my first build about a year ago, as a complete novice. The advice i was given : Don't worry, its not really that easy to brake anything unless your stupid. Grab the thing your fitting, look at the manual, do what the manual says. Simple as that. The only problem i had was mounting the CPU in mine, must just be the LGA1155 socket, but it gives off a Crunching/scratching type sound as you lower the bracket arm down, I didn't have the metaphorical balls to do it, as i thought i was breaking it. Turns out that's normal though :S I got a friend to come fit it, did the same to him, and it works... Guessing its normal But trust me, it really is idiot proof to do it. If i can do it, anyone can!
    Last edited by thunterman; 2013-01-31 at 10:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haters gonna hate. You get the i5, the SSD (who gets 64gb?), a 1TB drive, a nice video card with dual fans. Windows 8 is still $15 today (You can buy it now, install it later), and a wifi card for $20 or so. Under $800. You can change the case if you want. Also, windows 8 is fine for games. People just don't like the new interface, and don't realize you can just turn it off. I hated it too, but I use it on almost everything, and it's fine.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.79 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($58.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.00 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.50 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($194.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($38.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $749.20
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-01-31 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Haters gonna hate. You get the i5, the SSD (who gets 64gb?), a 1TB drive, a nice video card with dual fans. Windows 8 is still $15 today (You can buy it now, install it later), and a wifi card for $20 or so. Under $800. You can change the case if you want.
    SSD is only really needed for the OS if you've got a Caviar black IMO. Im happy with my load times on a green :/ I was just trying to be friendly to his budget is all. I did link a 128GB one too. I gave him 3 options, My third option, and buying a SSD later would be a pretty decent setup.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the help everyone, it was very informative. I'll see who I can scrounge up that can assist me in putting the parts together.