Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I've been brewing my own beer for about 4 years. I try to brew as much as I can afford, but more often than not I typically get 1 batch per month.

10+ Year Old Account
    Drink this tonight:

I know right? Actually not too bad for a everyday beer.

10+ Year Old Account
    @ Pacox - Had it a few weekends ago, was pleasantly surprised!

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    As a general note, guys, the whole... minute thing. It's named for the duration of the boil.

Now, I don't know enough into the biochemistry to understand, but I'm pretty sure longer != better in terms of benefits gained. From what I understand you may actually end up with more tannins from the original batch of malts (assuming you add more mid boil or something).
    Oh we're just intrigued. I have heard about the whole boiling thing, but how much can it change the longer/shorter? At what point do you get diminishing returns, etc? I can't wait to try 60, 75, and 90 Minute!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Firestone Abacus or Sucaba... barrel-aged barleywine. http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/p...ba-spring-2012

I'm preferential to a Crown Lager.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Lager
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Firestone's Double Jack on tap is incredible. Their taproom is great, too.

ayinger - oktoberfest is a pretty darn good beer and while we're at it they have another called jahrhundert or something that also tastes delicious

As a general note, guys, the whole... minute thing. It's named for the duration of the boil.

Now, I don't know enough into the biochemistry to understand, but I'm pretty sure longer != better in terms of benefits gained. From what I understand you may actually end up with more tannins from the original batch of malts (assuming you add more mid boil or something).
    It would really depend on the hop schedule. But, if you wanted to really add some hop flavor you would just get a hop rocket : http://www.blichmannengineering.com/...HopRocket.html

I made an American IPA using 8 additions of .5 oz. of Warrior. Had to chew that shit. Wasnt really a good beer, but it was fun to try.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Oh we're just intrigued. I have heard about the whole boiling thing, but how much can it change the longer/shorter? At what point do you get diminishing returns, etc? I can't wait to try 60, 75, and 90 Minute!
    Well the bare minimum boil time for your wort is 60 minutes. I personally haven't experimented for a longer boil, but from what I understand the longer you continue your boil, the more water evaporates, thus you basically get closer and closer to syrup - obviously not a great thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullcephus View Post
    It would really depend on the hop schedule. But, if you wanted to really add some hop flavor you would just get a hop rocket : http://www.blichmannengineering.com/...HopRocket.html

I made an American IPA using 8 additions of .5 oz. of Warrior. Had to chew that shit. Wasnt really a good beer, but it was fun to try.
    Sure. Hope scheduling definitely matters in the boil. But I wasn't really addressing that since it really has no impact on alcohol content; but rather aroma, bitterness in taste/mouthfeel, and even help some in head retention.

Depending on the alpha of the hop, the longer you boil it the more bitterness that you extract. The points where you gain no benefit vary from hop to hop. Hops added toward the end of the boil are called frangrance hops, or aroma hops, or tasting hops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Firestone's Double Jack on tap is incredible. Their taproom is great, too.
    I've been wanting to have this, but it's been getting put off. I was at least lucky to have a free-try at a recent Binny's Beverage Depot in my area having a tasting with 14 different breweries. Now I'll be trying even harder to get a bomber or 4 pack of it.

Don't get me started on Firestone XV or XVI. Bloody damned INCREDIBLE beers!!!

"A flower.

Depending on the alpha of the hop, the longer you boil it the more bitterness that you extract. The points where you gain no benefit vary from hop to hop. Hops added toward the end of the boil are called frangrance hops, or aroma hops, or tasting hops.
    Yeah, generally bittering hops are added at 60 minutes (or whatever the beginning time of your boil), Aroma is sub 10 minutes, and flavor is sometime between 10-30 point.

Though you're right that higher alpha acid hops will take longer to extract for full flavor. That's why most people (for IPA's, IIPA's, Strongs, etc) will usually lead with something like Centennial at the beginning of the boil.

Well the bare minimum boil time for your wort is 60 minutes. I personally haven't experimented for a longer boil, but from what I understand the longer you continue your boil, the more water evaporates, thus you basically get closer and closer to syrup - obviously not a great thing.

Sure. Hope scheduling definitely matters in the boil. But I wasn't really addressing that since it really has no impact on alcohol content; but rather aroma, bitterness in taste/mouthfeel, and even help some in head retention.
    Yea, just got excited that I found someone on a gaming forum that knew what I was talking about.

Also, I generally formulate all of my recipes with a 90 minute boil. We've only done one 60/90 comparison, and that was with a Moose Drool clone (another FANTASTIC beer btw) and prefered the flavor of the 90, so we've just went with it. There's so much personal preference in brewing, such as to use or not to use a secondary, fermentation time, and other things. Thats what makes it fun and every beer unique.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, generally bittering hops are added at 60 minutes (or whatever the beginning time of your boil), Aroma is sub 10 minutes, and flavor is sometime between 10-30 point.

Though you're right that higher alpha acid hops will take longer to extract for full flavor. That's why most people (for IPA's, IIPA's, Strongs, etc) will usually lead with something like Centennial at the beginning of the boil.
    Man, hearing all this about actual brewing techniques and timings is making me more interested to learn more and try it for myself. >_<
    "A flower.

Man, hearing all this about actual brewing techniques and timings is making me more interested to learn more and try it for myself. >_<
    Its a great hobby, and something you can share with your friends. I don't drink half of what I make, I enjoy seeing people's reaction when my homebrew makes them not want their bud light anymore.

www.homebrewtalk.com great resource if you want to look into getting into it.

Oh it's definitely not just a science. There's a lot of art involved with experimentation.

One of my favorite things to do with friends (who don't brew) is to do ~3-5x 1 gallon batches. You can use the exact same malt, and add the same type of hops and have completely different tasting beer pending on how long you boil, or when you add your hops.

It's a life long hobby. It's expensive initially to buy some equipment (though you can find awesome groupon deals from Midwest or Northern Brewer). But testing out new stuff, modifying and perfecting recipes is just all part of the wonder of brewing. That and it always leads to you drinking beer.

I've been wanting to have this, but it's been getting put off. I was at least lucky to have a free-try at a recent Binny's Beverage Depot in my area having a tasting with 14 different breweries. Now I'll be trying even harder to get a bomber or 4 pack of it.
    I suppose this is the time to tell you I'm watching the superbowl in their taproom. Any suggestions on beer I should get? I've already had most of their "Standard" beers, and a few of the reserve series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a great hobby, and something you can share with your friends. I don't drink half of what I make, I enjoy seeing people's reaction when my homebrew makes them not want their bud light anymore.

www.homebrewtalk.com great resource if you want to look into getting into it.
    Thanks for the link!

Yeah out of my two drinking buddies, one has no interest "good luck with that dude" and the other is busy as hell. I'd be stuck doing all the work. I have no problem with this, but my mom isn't exactly too keen on this as she's been told "it smells bad/a lot" and I am not sure if my dad is being sarcastic or genuine about wanting to brew beer, but he wouldn't be doing it out of love for the craft. >_<
    "A flower.

Yeah when I brew I usually just trade out growlers for friends, since I only keg anymore (wife signed off on it after my 2nd batch: fuck bottle bombs).

So yeah, just because one brews often does not mean we actually drink all that beer!

I have no problem with this, but my mom isn't exactly too keen on this as she's been told "it smells bad/a lot" and I am not sure if my dad is being sarcastic or genuine about wanting to brew beer, but he wouldn't be doing it out of love for the craft. >_<
    It can definitely smell 'bad' if you're not into it. I had to buy a turkey fryer to brew after the first couple times. But really it's not a ton of work if you're just doing extract batches (beginners will do this). Your main focus will generally be towards keeping stuff clean.

All you need are a few hours to commit to it. Of course, larger batches and all grain (advanced stuff) will all take more time.
    Last edited by Radux; 2013-02-02 at 04:12 AM.