returning to GW2, some questions

Heya!

Finally returning to the joy of GW2, and I have a few questions:

1.) I have a few chars at 40 that I don't want to play anymore (to long between last time I played). So what is a good profession to level to 40 fast out of: Necro, Thief, Ranger or Guardian?
    2.) Which profession is most usefull in group situations: Necromancer, Thief, Ranger or Guardian?
    3.) What would you suggest I do eventwise and crafting wise, do everything I can now or wait till max level with crafting?

Last time I actively played was the first phase of the halloween event where you got that book for your back

To be fair, all professions tend to be useful in group situations. All are around the same time to level, though it can help if you go pure glass canon all the way till 80 and then focus on group aid. With crafting, you can either wait or just level it during, i'd suggest wait till around level 60 and then you can craft your way to 80, as crafting gives around 15 - 20 levels and just do every event you come across, just speeds up the levelling process.

1. guardian
    2. guardian
    3. eventwise as in what events to do, all of them. Crafting, wait till you're lvl 60 then max 2crafting professions out so you're 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Friendly advice meledelion inc:
    Hey man, great you like what you're seeing so far. Friendly advice for a noob:
    1. Gather everything you can (you don't crafting professions just get a pick, axe and sickle) (don't sell this stuff, just keep it (btw hitting the cogwheel in your inventory has a deposit all collectibles thingy, hit that once in a while )
    2. Level all weapons, sure you might like your sword/torch but make sure to try out axe/dagger aswell
    3. If it's white, salvage it.
    4. Don't buy weapons/armor (until you're max lvl)
    5. Don't level crafting professions, wait until you're max level. (if you're looking for the leveling boost, wait untill you're level 60ish and then use boosters/guild boosters and craft away, you'll hit lvl 75-77 easily (if you want more of a boost wait untill friday close to WvW reset)
    6. Don't use your karma jugs, save them for later
    7. If you don't know something, ask away (either here or ingame) or use /wiki "thing you want to research eg: /wiki pet
    8. Level untill you're 15 or 20, now make another profession and do the same thing (preferably one that uses another armour type)
    9. Don't rush, take it easy...
    Last edited by Meledelion; 2013-01-31 at 10:10 AM.

1. Ranger.
    2. Guardian. Doesn't really matter with the "every man for himself" nature of combat though.
    3. Do everything if you want to level fast. Sell all materials and skip crafting if you want to be rich.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-01-31 at 02:53 PM.

1&2) Guardian, but Ranger is a close second.
    3) People only use crafting for leveling really, going 0-400 skill will give you 10 levels of experience, which is excellent for the leveling doldrums that hit around level 60. Or as Fencers said, don't craft and sell all your mats and you'll make a shiny copper or two. So it's your call there - either faster leveling or money.

PS: When it comes to crafting, realize that for all crafts the vast majority of your end-products will end up selling for less than the materials that went into making them.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-01-31 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    1&2) Guardian, but Ranger is a close second.
    3) People only use crafting for leveling really, going 0-400 skill will give you 10 levels of experience, which is excellent for the leveling doldrums that hit around level 60. Or as Fencers said, don't craft and sell all your mats and you'll make a shiny copper or two. So it's your call there - either faster leveling or money.

PS: When it comes to crafting, realize that for all crafts the vast majority of your end-products will end up selling for less than the materials that went into making them.
    Not sure if they changed it, as it has been a long while since I played, but the crafting interface was very poor so not sure I would recommend focussing on it unless you just can't stand leveling via combat (but then why play Gw2 at all?). It has been a while so maybe I'm recollecting wrong, but you couldn't craft directly from your stash back when I played. This made it very tedious as not everything in stash would fit in inventory so you had to pick/choose rather than moving all. But I usually find crafting boring in any MMO so not singling out GW2 here, but this interface issue just made it worse. Plus, as with many MMOs, there is really no point to crafting other than as a completionist as the gear is worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by gainesvilleg View Post
    Not sure if they changed it, as it has been a long while since I played, but the crafting interface was very poor so not sure I would recommend focussing on it unless you just can't stand leveling via combat (but then why play Gw2 at all?). It has been a while so maybe I'm recollecting wrong, but you couldn't craft directly from your stash back when I played. This made it very tedious as not everything in stash would fit in inventory so you had to pick/choose rather than moving all. But I usually find crafting boring in any MMO so not singling out GW2 here, but this interface issue just made it worse. Plus, as with many MMOs, there is really no point to crafting other than as a completionist as the gear is worthless.
    Crafting interface is essentially the same, but now it has additional tabs to access your bank and collectables (essentially every crafting station is just also a bank). The huuuuuge improvement they made here though - you can craft FROM storage and they added additional slots in the collectable section. Still no intermediary item slots, but it's a huge improvement from release.

Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    Heya!

Finally returning to the joy of GW2, and I have a few questions:

1.) I have a few chars at 40 that I don't want to play anymore (to long between last time I played). So what is a good profession to level to 40 fast out of: Necro, Thief, Ranger or Guardian?
    2.) Which profession is most usefull in group situations: Necromancer, Thief, Ranger or Guardian?
    3.) What would you suggest I do eventwise and crafting wise, do everything I can now or wait till max level with crafting?

Last time I actively played was the first phase of the halloween event where you got that book for your back
    1 - I find rangers the easiest class ever to play with and fast. Guardians is probably the "safest" bet as in dying issues and whatnot.
    2 - This is a big thing for me and I felt yesterday on a Fractals group. Every class has it's own flavor, so all of them will be useful in their own way. Last night we were on a Dredge Fractals and my elite that roots people on the ground saved the group, and everyone was "Glad we brought a ranger with us". But that could easily relate to any other class in any other moment, being a guardian that pops some heals and so on. So essentially this question is more of "What kind of support you want to give?".
    3 - Eventwise? Everything you see. But be sure to check major events on every starting area and the big dragons (and at lvl 80 the temple events). Craftwise I would really just get 2 disciplines that are not the same (Like Armorsmith and weapon smith that uses same material) get something that uses thread or leather instead. And sell everything else. I only used crafting for some level gaps when I first leveled (now It doesn't really happen anymore), I just worried about maxing one at max level just to do it. As fencers said you will get rich if you leave that aside.

1. Guardian (Asuran recommended)
    2. Depends on what you like to do. Of course, every class can fill every role, but some are just more suited for others so yeah.
    3. Pick up your gathering tools as soon as possible and mine/harvest/chop everything you see. Complete zones 100% and do your story missions when your mission is appropiate. If you fall a little bit behind, craft and get free levels. I recommend Jewelcrafting and Armorsmith.

Deleted
    1. Ranger I find levels quickly and quite safely.
    2. Limited experience, but so far I've found Guardians nice to have along in groups.
    3. Eventwise, playing at prime time on a decent pop server and doing events as you level will make you enjoy the game more, there is no need to wait with any of that until later. Definitely gather nodes as you go - this gets you xp as well - and do the daily achievements. Do story missions on level or not much late, but don't do them early. Leave crafting for 80 on a first character, or use it to pick up free levels if you have the gold to spend.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Ranger
    2) necromancer
    3) just do anything and everything, I've gained so many levels on my engineer from doing that, I didn't even realize how high lv I was until I checked to see if I was ready to continue my personal story.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Necros and Guardians have very good survivability. Rangers have pets (stupid pets but still) but their main strength is that nothing will ever be able to hit you if you play right. Thiefs in the other hand I wouldn't recommend, you really need to know what you're doing when playing a Thief, you will have to dodge a lot and be smart about when to use your utilities.

Event wise, do everything. Every single thing. Crafting, it's your choice really. I personally don't craft right now (except for dailies) because I want to get enough money to level a character from 1 to 80 only through crafting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodian View Post
    To be fair, all professions tend to be useful in group situations.
    Yeah right.. nothing compared to mesmer's time warp, Ele heals, or guardians protection. Everything else can be put on the back burner as they only contribute some extra DPS, and nothing compares to the warrior in that regard. So necro's, thieves, rangers, eng are not as welcomed in groups. I've been kicked a crap load from gw2lfg groups for being a thief when they ask for dps, bc I'm not a war with hurr durr hundred blades massive AoE DPS (derp per second)

I would not roll a thief, ranger, or eng. Now it's not all bad if you have a guild like me, I get groups on my thief anyway.. but other professions are waaaay better, there is no doubt. I regret rolling thief as main, but not much I can do about it now since I've put so much into the character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Yeah right.. nothing compared to mesmer's time warp, Ele heals, or guardians protection. Everything else can be put on the back burner as they only contribute some extra DPS, and nothing compares to the warrior in that regard. So necro's, thieves, rangers, eng are not as welcomed in groups. I've been kicked a crap load from gw2lfg groups for being a thief when they ask for dps, bc I'm not a war with hurr durr hundred blades massive AoE DPS (derp per second)

I would not roll a thief, ranger, or eng. Now it's not all bad if you have a guild like me, I get groups on my thief anyway.. but other professions are waaaay better, there is no doubt. I regret rolling thief as main, but not much I can do about it now since I've put so much into the character.
    Lol what? Rangers have spirits, regen an condi removal that trumps the other profs not to mention they can perma fury, regen, and swiftness all with one build... And engi, well they have THE MOST CC in the game, so you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Lol what? Rangers have spirits, regen an condi removal that trumps the other profs not to mention they can perma fury, regen, and swiftness all with one build... And engi, well they have THE MOST CC in the game, so you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
    Uh, I do know exactly what I'm talking about and I said nothing compares to their utility, don't be mad about it... sorry if I touched your feelers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Q1= Ranger, Guardian, Necro in that order. I have to agree that Rangers are very easy to level, and if you enjoy crafting they make very efficient farmers (your pet takes the heat while you gather stuff and move on). Guardians and Necros are also fun and have lots of nice utilities.
    Q2=Guardian, Necro, Ranger
    Q3= As far as events, do all you can, the gear at the end from Karma vendors will cost 42,000 Karma each. They are also pretty good xp.
    With crafting, learn from my mistake, do yourself a favor and sell what you can at first. When you are getting close to 60 start visit the Auction House and start BIDDING on what you need to craft. In most cases you will come out ahead financially because you've sold for a higher market price in the beginning.
    Also remember to buy and use food, it sells for next to nothing and is a nice boost to xp. Plus if you use one with a magic find bonus you can improve your finds and in turn your funds.

Just hit 80 with my guardian. One of the things i really enjoyed, was the fact that you can do some really stupid and suicidal things and still come out on top. I used defensive spec focusing on vita, tough and healing. Mobs didnt die as fast as with my glasscanon thief, but i was able to stand knee deep in mobs and live through it. The only classes that havent appealed to me is the mesmer and engineer. I will most likely end up getting a mesmer to 80, since i got a feeling its the same issue i had with the thief the first time i played. I simply did not get the right feel of the class first time around. My best advice is to look up some videos of the different classes and start them up and go into the mist to get an idea of how they work. As for the personal story and crafting, do not worry about it you can lvl up quite easy without any of them.