Doing a test boot, as Newegg suggested(urgent)?

I have a b75 mobo and im having a hard time finding the power pins to do a boot test before I mount it in the case - I've touched many pins with a screwdriver, and I don't think I have successfully turned on the PC...I'm worried something is broken.

What I've done: put 2x4g sticks of ram in, installed an i5 3470 cpu, installed the stock cpu fan, installed a gtx660 graphics card, and I've connected the 24-pin power connector from the psu to the motherboard, and the supplemental cpu power, and the pci express to the graphics card, I did not have an hdmi monitor to connect it to - im planning on connecting it to my tv, but im not dragging that out to the kitchen so I can keep the computer on a wood surface, I figured DVI would be fine(I have an old monitor with dvi) - although it's directly to the motherboard, not to the graphics card like in newegg's video.

Oh, I also had to use a power cable from another computer, because for some reason my cpu didn't come with one - WTF.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I've been able to locate the power switch on the motherboard so I can do my test boot, and I'm not sure what to do next. Should I just put it in the case, connect the power button cable and hope for the best, or should I try to figure out this test boot business?

The video I'm referencing is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls 14:00-15:00

Other information: neo eco 620w 80+ power supply

You can probably have your case next to the motherboard and still plug in the power button if you are having issues with it.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    You can probably have your case next to the motherboard and still plug in the power button if you are having issues with it.
    Thanks for the suggestion nocturnal, I figured out where the connectors was and it's working )

10+ Year Old Account
    Cant tell quite if you got it working or not yet, so...
    I figured DVI would be fine(I have an old monitor with dvi) - although it's directly to the motherboard, not to the graphics card like in newegg's video.
    This may or may not work. The only issue is if it DOES work, it doesn't test your video card. But the main purpose of the test is to make sure the board/cpu/ram are working.
    Oh, I also had to use a power cable from another computer, because for some reason my cpu didn't come with one - WTF.
    It should be in your power supply box, not the CPU or case
    Anyway, I'm not sure if I've been able to locate the power switch on the motherboard so I can do my test boot
    If you cant figure it out, it will say in the motherboard manual exactly which one is the PWR.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Cant tell quite if you got it working or not yet, so...

This may or may not work. The only issue is if it DOES work, it doesn't test your video card. But the main purpose of the test is to make sure the board/cpu/ram are working.

It should be in your power supply box, not the CPU or case

If you cant figure it out, it will say in the motherboard manual exactly which one is the PWR.
    Sorry I meant PSU - still haven't found the power cord, using a previously owned one. I was successful in installing all the hardware for my computer, and I installed Windows 8 - here's the problem, it didn't activate, now in system and security>action center it says windows isn't activated, and when I try to activate it with my key, it recognizes it as an upgrade code, not a fresh install code, and doesn't accept it - although it recognizes it as a legitimate code. I don't know what the long-term implications of this are, or how to fix it. It could be related to the weird message I get when I first turn on the computer , something about i/o drive not doing something and fix it and press any key to continue(i just press a key and continue on with my business, but it still concerns me). I'd post the exact phrase but im currently trying to figure out how to shut down on windows 8.

Oh and a bunch of drivers are saying they are incompatible with the system - the graphics card driver says not compatible with this version of windows...
    Last edited by Imreallybadwithnames; 2013-01-31 at 07:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where did you get the CD/ISO for Win8 from, and where did you get the license code from?

Deleted
    I've had loads of licensing issues with reinstalls, since it somehow still sees the old installation as as active.

Call up microsoft. There's always a local number you can call. You'll get an automated tape which asks for your product key. They'll validate it and give you a response code to put in windows.

I've activated several windows copies that wouldn't do it the regular way that way. I'll go one step further, these days I generally cba untill I have one day left to activate and just call Microsoft to solve it.

Edit.

When you fail to activate, it should give you the option to phone up microsoft and it should list a number for you after choosing your location.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Where did you get the CD/ISO for Win8 from, and where did you get the license code from?
    I got it through the method you suggested($15 OS). Microsoft sent me the code in my mail.

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 09:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    I've had loads of licensing issues with reinstalls, since it somehow still sees the old installation as as active.

Call up microsoft. There's always a local number you can call. You'll get an automated tape which asks for your product key. They'll validate it and give you a response code to put in windows.

I've activated several windows copies that wouldn't do it the regular way that way. I'll go one step further, these days I generally cba untill I have one day left to activate and just call Microsoft to solve it.

Edit.

When you fail to activate, it should give you the option to phone up microsoft and it should list a number for you after choosing your location.
    What is cba, and will it allow me to install drivers and use the computer as usual?

Quote Originally Posted by Imreallybadwithnames View Post
    I got it through the method you suggested($15 OS). Microsoft sent me the code in my mail.
    Here is a guide for you.
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...8-upgrade.html
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 09:56 AM ----------

What is cba, and will it allow me to install drivers and use the computer as usual?
    CBA = Can't be Arsed = Can't be bothered

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cba

tyvm for that link, saved me again.

However, before I go ahead with that - in my system information it says system type: 32-bit operating system, and installed memory(RAM): says 8.00gb(2.00 usable) - will this change when I activate the key to 64 bit and use all my ram, or did I screw something up during the initial installation process? I was just gonna skip right to step 5 in http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...8-upgrade.html until I saw this.

There is a possibility that the system you did the upgrade helper thing on is a 32bit system and the ISO you created is strictly for 32bit.

If this isn't the case then perhaps just do a clean install like it is described in the guide i linked.

There is a possibility that the system you did the upgrade helper thing on is a 32bit system and the ISO you created is strictly for 32bit.

If this isn't the case then perhaps just do a clean install like it is described in the guide i linked.
    the system i used was 32-bit, can I rein-stall the iso using a 64 bit vista computer and redo the installation?

the system i used was 32-bit, can I rein-stall the iso using a 64 bit vista computer and redo the installation?
    I found this on another forum for you.

go to

windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

and download it on a 64bit system if you want 64bit media or if yoy want 32bit media then download it on a 32bit system. same key too.

THIS WORKS
    I had the same problem, downloaded and used the product key then later found out it was the 32 bit that I installed on my pc. So I went to my laptop which was already running windows 7 64 bit operating system. Then went to windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only. I used the same product key and downloaded the ISO, burned it to disc and did a fresh install on my pc. After it was done I checked it out and it actually worked.

It seems you have to be on a computer running a 64bit operating system when you download from microsoft because it automatically chooses it for you based on your current operating system. So your only option might be finding a trial version of some 64 bit operating system to use for the sole purpose of going to microsofts website for downloading the iso or go to a school or a library anywhere you can find a computer running 64bit just to download the iso.

I found this on another forum for you.
    tyvm, you are an angel.

Edit: I was going by the avatar, but just realized you may actually be a dude, cause this is the internet. If this is the case, please replace "angel" with "badass". Thank you for your cooperation.

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 11:56 PM ----------

Ok, this is interesting. I am having trouble erasing my hard drive so I can restart from fresh with the 64 bit version on the disc - the OS won't gtfo, and every guide that I check out assumes I want to keep the OS, so they aren't helping..
    Last edited by Imreallybadwithnames; 2013-01-31 at 08:00 PM.

tyvm, you are an angel.

Edit: I was going by the avatar, but just realized you may actually be a dude, cause this is the internet. If this is the case, please replace "angel" with "badass". Thank you for your cooperation.

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 11:56 PM ----------

Ok, this is interesting. I am having trouble erasing my hard drive so I can restart from fresh with the 64 bit version on the disc - the OS won't gtfo, and every guide that I check out assumes I want to keep the OS, so they aren't helping..
    Haha, I'd prefer badass then, the avatar is my girlfriend.

You most likely need to format your harddrive if you want to do a clean install.