Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KunkkaTheAdmiral View Post
    No "hard as possible" is in no ways torture, its just as inhuman as being a racist. Neither is it killing that person.

Its about punishment and reeducation, which sadly is not as effective as it could be, still though... racist should be punished heavily with jail.
    Why prison? What a complete waste of resources. Prison should be for people who are too dangerous to be allowed in public. How racist does one have to be in your eyes to qualify for a jail sentence? Slightly? An off-colour (no pun intended) joke? A snippy insult?

Wait, was he insulting the race or the religion...?

As vile as a person may be, I believe they should always have the right to voice their opinion even if it is a nasty one. You cannot allow mere speaking to be a crime, no matter what has been said. Arresting someone for an idle insult is disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    I am sure they do. We don't, though.

Yes, it is.

I just wanted to bring attention to this, given I read about it today.
    And why do we have to know? Because it is said against a 'famous' person? We aren't privileged to the communications involved in other incidences, why is this one special?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post

As vile as a person may be, I believe they should always have the right to voice their opinion even if it is a nasty one. You cannot allow mere speaking to be a crime, no matter what has been said. Arresting someone for an idle insult is disgusting.
    I know, whats next arresting people for thinking?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    And why do we have to know? Because it is said against a 'famous' person? We aren't privileged to the communications involved in other incidences, why is this one special?
    Because there could exist an unjustified limit on free speech that we don't know about, or an arbitrary limit based on offense taken (someone did complain about this). These details matters and could effect someone else very easily.

It is always concerning no matter what it is when you read about someone being arrested for an undisclosed crime.

No "hard as possible" is in no ways torture, its just as inhuman as being a racist. Neither is it killing that person.

Its about punishment and reeducation, which sadly is not as effective as it could be, still though... racist should be punished heavily with jail.
    Death Camps of Tolerance. Okay.

Deleted
    Good. The message here is don't be a dick and the world won't be a dick to you

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post

the way i got it, we don't know what was said. If it was just an insult, i agree, it shouldn't be punished, but for all we know it could have included threats of violence etc. That kind of thing should be punishable.

We don't know what was said, hard to say punishment is appropriate when you don't know the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    Because there could exist an unjustified limit on free speech that we don't know about, or an arbitrary limit based on offense taken (someone did complain about this). These details matters and could effect someone else very easily.

It is always concerning no matter what it is when you read about someone being arrested for an undisclosed crime.
    It would only be concerning if we had secret courts and a judiciary that wasn't subject to review.

Britain is arresting folk for internet "harassment" on the reg now.

Yeah, I can see why Early Americans had a problem with Britain. That is just borderline fascist.

Regardless of content, the internet is no different that books. You have a choice to read or acknowledge what people write up. Punishing people for their opinion, right, wrong, or ludicrous is no way to handle the situation. In the digital media age, you start to censor the internet, and people will be nailing another Magna Carta on a door, except it will be on Palace doors, this time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    It would only be concerning if we had secret courts and a judiciary that wasn't subject to review.
    Then it would be more concerning, to me.

good thing we dont do this. i dont think there is enough prison space on earth to house everybody that has called obama a n****r on facebook. sometimes i really hate facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Deleted
    A racist qualifies through his actions, by word or by physical force. Yes it it actually a waste of resources if we keep them in prisons but what is even more important, racism only stops if elder people stop spreading his racism.

Yes keep them in prisons for the rest of their lives if they won't change, mind sound harsh but yes, racism is hazardous and more an illness not attitude.

And what does mankind do with people who are ill ? Put the ill person or animal into quarantine and leave them until the illness fades, if it does not fade, he stays forever.

There is absolutely no reason in our advanced world to be racist, mankind only advances if mankind is one, not divided.

I'm absolutely fine with people being arrested and, in general, punished for their words, no matter what medium they use for those words.

Free speech is just used as a shield to protect someone's 'right' to spout hateful, ignorant garbage these days. But there should never be that right. You intend to hurt someone, even if it is just with words, then you get punished.

If it turns out that what he said wasn't offensive then the court will find him not guilty. That's what a justice system does, after all.

Deleted
    A racist qualifies through his actions, by word or by physical force. Yes it it actually a waste of resources if we keep them in prisons but what is even more important, racism only stops if elder people stop spreading his racism.
    It is more important that we let their ignorance stand for itself. I'm not sure what you mean by "racism only stops if elder people stop spreading his racism".

Yes keep them in prisons for the rest of their lives if they won't change, mind sound harsh but yes, racism is hazardous and more an illness not attitude.
    This is endorsing, quite literally thought-crime. You are in favour of imprisoning people indefinitely for the way they think.

You are in favour of totalitarianism.

Good work.

And what does mankind do with people who are ill ? Put the ill person or animal into quarantine and leave them until the illness fades, if it does not fade, he stays forever.

There is absolutely no reason in our advanced world to be racist, mankind only advances if mankind is one, not divided.
    Yeah, because a world that takes cues from totalitarianism is by far more civil.

Beware, that when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster.

Holy fuck... i was joking, but you seriously want to exterminate people...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    I'm absolutely fine with people being arrested and, in general, punished for their words, no matter what medium they use for those words.
    To what extent? Please be specific. This matters.

Free speech is just used as a shield to protect someone's 'right' to spout hateful, ignorant garbage these days.
    Yes, it is. If all free speech was inoffensive, non-hateful (which is subjective) and consensus approved and could only be that then it would not be free speech.

But there should never be that right. You intend to hurt someone, even if it is just with words, then you get punished.
    What constitutes hurting someone with words?

If it turns out that what he said wasn't offensive then the court will find him not guilty. That's what a justice system does, after all.
    Define "offensive". Is a Muslim who is genuinely offended by any criticism towards Islam within his rights to report someone for scrutinising Islam? Should the courts find him guilty for that?

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 06:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Holy fuck... i was joking, but you seriously want to exterminate people...
    Collectivism is never so vile as it is when it is presented in such a utopian way. The eradication of our rights is for our own good, you know for we can't be trusted with them.

Deleted
    There is a difference in imprisoning people who think different and imprisoning people who spread vile idea's just to hurt and incite hatred.

Hate speech shouldn't be covered by any law and luckily is not in many countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post

Free speech is just used as a shield to protect someone's 'right' to spout hateful, ignorant garbage these days. But there should never be that right. You intend to hurt someone, even if it is just with words, then you get punished.
    So where does this end? Why only do this for racism and not general insults? Should you be arrested and punished for calling someone a 'prick', or saying 'shit' in public? How about just saying "I dont like you"? How is this any different than that?

I feel people should go and watch that old episode of South Park about the hypocrisy of punishing hate crimes.

The "justice system" will protect the celebrity, especially if he's from a minority if only to make it look like they oppose racism.

Deleted
    There is a difference in imprisoning people who think different and imprisoning people who spread vile idea's just to hurt and incite hatred.
    Yes, there is but you didn't just talk about that. You said, and I quote:

"A racist qualifies through his actions, by word or by physical force. Yes it it actually a waste of resources if we keep them in prisons but what is even more important, racism only stops if elder people stop spreading his racism.

"

Also, define "vile ideas just to hurt and incite hatred".

Hate speech shouldn't be covered by any law and luckily is not in many countries.
    Objectively define hate speech please.