Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you keep an Alt next to the Neutral AH for Sniping?

Does anyone else find themselves doing this? Just keep an alt with some gold next to one of the neutral AHs in the world to just scan for great deals to pop up on the nuetral AH?

I created a nice little addon of my own that will automatically scan the neutral ah and play the "New Toys!!? For me!!!!" sound from XT whenever auctions are far below normal market price. I also imbedded a quick buy button into the addon that you simply click it and it will buy out whatever the great deal is (usually when people put up auctions for only like 1g or 1c) Works like a charm.

eh, most servers have neutral AHs with almost nothing on them. You really log in on an alt and run a scan frequently for the off-chance that something is there worth buying?

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh you meanie!

No, I didn't keep an alt there. I checked for snipable stuff when I was near it, though.

That is awesome, I will have to do this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    eh, most servers have neutral AHs with almost nothing on them. You really log in on an alt and run a scan frequently for the off-chance that something is there worth buying?
    Its actually another account that I have that just idles at the Neutral AH scanning. I can play and do whatever on my main account and get great deals on the other account. The "New Toys!!? For ME!!!!" emote is a nice hilarious addition to my addon that alerts me when an auction is posted that is a great deal.

Im pretty certain a ton of other people do this, except they dont have the addon that I have (as it is a custom made addon)

No I don't, I play on Silvermoon :P

I have mobile ah and i check it pretty often when im on it to see if im lucky, i don't refresh and go for it non stop. Back in cata i did win 20 stacks of elementium ore for a grand total of 20 copper, but i felt bad and mailed it back to him with a cod of 20 copper.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kingriku View Post
    I have mobile ah and i check it pretty often when im on it to see if im lucky, i don't refresh and go for it non stop. Back in cata i did win 20 stacks of elementium ore for a grand total of 20 copper, but i felt bad and mailed it back to him with a cod of 20 copper.
    You felt bad for having the winning bid on an auction?

Goodness no. Why would I do something like that to another player?! To get some gold? And even pay for an extra account?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drithiend View Post
    Goodness no. Why would I do something like that to another player?! To get some gold? And even pay for an extra account?!
    Do something like that to another player? You mean bidding on and winning an auction they put up on the auction house?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    You felt bad for having the winning bid on an auction?
    Yeah i did, i mean it was obvious what he was doing and it was just ore. It was his fault for risking it and know what could happen but then again you gotta know sometimes when people need a break.
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

It's neat that your wrote your own addon for it, but FYI, everyone else already has one. Auctioneer and (I think) TradeSkillMaster have those functionalities built in. On auctioneer it's called a Real Time Scan. It just keeps hitting search and pops up a window whenever a new item is posted subject to some criteria you give it.

And to anyone surprised by this.... far more people do it than you realize. Often times I buy stuff quick not even knowing what it is because it costs under 1g. And then I vendor it when it's garbage and wait for the rage from the person that posted it. As someone who has made a fair amount of gold from Arbitrage on more than one server, I can assure you that the large AH players just see it as the cost of doing business. If you want to get things xfered across factions w/o paying the huge neutral AH cut, you have to expect that someone can grab the items from you. Which is why you never gamble with more than you're willing to lose =)

The worst for me was a stack of Queen's Garnets when they were still fairly expensive. But, I did manage to pick up someones duped LK mount which I resold for a good amount.

Its actually another account that I have that just idles at the Neutral AH scanning. I can play and do whatever on my main account and get great deals on the other account. The "New Toys!!? For ME!!!!" emote is a nice hilarious addition to my addon that alerts me when an auction is posted that is a great deal.

Im pretty certain a ton of other people do this, except they dont have the addon that I have (as it is a custom made addon)
    I would like this addon, PM me bro :P .
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

I think the OP has posted it on Curse under the name Auctioneer if anyone wants it.

Do something like that to another player? You mean bidding on and winning an auction they put up on the auction house?
    Yes, technically there is nothing against ToS for doing this, but as other posters have made it quite clear, and anyone with half a brain can see, it is morally pretty wrong. Not enough for any1 to really care tho and if it doesn't bother you, go on, but you're far too proud of yourself tho.

To my understanding, players use the neutral auction house to transfer items between their Alliance and Horde characters. Some don't post their auctions on a high price for practical reasons. So, to post something like a good weapon for cheap, so that a friend can buy it and send it to your character, only to have it taken by someone else is a bad feeling I think, and I would not want to do that to someone. I don't know if this is considered a cheat, but it doesn't make taking advantage of it any better nontheless.
    Last edited by Drithien; 2013-01-31 at 06:01 PM.

Deleted
    There are so many other (way better) methods out there to get disgustingly rich, anything that actually requires THAT kind of effort from your part is simply not worth it.
    But I must admit I admire the OP's perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by Drithiend View Post
    To my understanding, players use the neutral auction house to transfer items between their Alliance and Horde characters. Some don't post their auctions on a high price for practical reasons. So, to post something like a good weapon for cheap, so that a friend can buy it and send it to your character, only to have it taken by someone else is a bad feeling I think, and I would not want to do that to someone. I don't know if this is considered a cheat, but it doesn't make taking advantage of it any better nontheless.
    It is not considered a cheat in any way. You are just using the AH and buying low cost items, it's more the risk/reward of the seller on transfering for pretty much free when its 1 copper.
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    No, because I'm not a scumbag who enjoys griefing people.
    ill probably be infracted for this post