FC options in 5.2?

So, with GC's latest acknowledgement of Ret being lacking in utility for an RBG spot, and the proposed "fix", I've all but given up on any organized Ret play this expansion. My paladin's mainspec is prot anyhow, and I love FC/node defense, but sadly prot paladin is not viable or desirable in rated PVP either. So, gonna shelf him for PVP activity and look for a new avenue to get my RBG spot.

So, with all the recent changes/reversions to balance that have been announced, what is shaping up to be the best/most viable FC/defender class in 5.2?

I've got my warrior and DK at 90 now, but not really any gear. Protwar seems to be perennially good, while blood has gone downhill a bit.

I've got my druid at 88 and with the new guardian bonuses, it looks potentially promising, but I'm not a fan of the spec really. My monk should/could be 90 soon, but it just doesn't strike me as super resilient.

Thanks for any input.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Prot paladin IS viable, i get so sick of saying this, just cause people dont play with/against it(cause they dont realize classes changed in mop) doesnt mean its not viable. It just actually takes skill and cd management instead of letting ur passives do all the work and bouncing around like a pinball

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
    Prot paladin IS viable, i get so sick of saying this, just cause people dont play with/against it(cause they dont realize classes changed in mop) doesnt mean its not viable. It just actually takes skill and cd management instead of letting ur passives do all the work and bouncing around like a pinball
    A lot of paladin survivability is based on high-haste and high vengeance for self heals and Sacred Shield. You get neither in PvP.

Nairobi, best bet is Guardian or Warrior. Guardian is getting some pretty damn good pvp survivability buffs, they will be almost uncrittable by some classes, have huge armor, and they have good defensive CD's. Guardians are mobile because of Sprint, stampeding roar, wild charge, and moose form. I really think they will be a damn good choice.
    And warriors... well, have always been good, hasn't changed. Shockwave nerf won't really effect them in RBG's because 3 targets won't be hard to hit.

DK's are pretty hard to kill, but they really lack in mobility, and DK's play a better Target caller than FC.
    Brewmasters... I'm not really sure, from what I've heard, they are really damn squishy when stunned, nimble brew might help with that. My monk is only 86, but any mob that stuns usually rips me apart.

So, I'd suggest Warrior(people know this is historically strongest) or Guardian. Remember, you might not always be FC though, so look at the dps specs too, as you will probably go dps for AB/Gilneas/EOTS.

10+ Year Old Account
    prot war and bear are your options

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    A lot of paladin survivability is based on high-haste and high vengeance for self heals and Sacred Shield. You get neither in PvP.

Nairobi, best bet is Guardian or Warrior. Guardian is getting some pretty damn good pvp survivability buffs, they will be almost uncrittable by some classes, have huge armor, and they have good defensive CD's. Guardians are mobile because of Sprint, stampeding roar, wild charge, and moose form. I really think they will be a damn good choice.
    And warriors... well, have always been good, hasn't changed. Shockwave nerf won't really effect them in RBG's because 3 targets won't be hard to hit.

DK's are pretty hard to kill, but they really lack in mobility, and DK's play a better Target caller than FC.
    Brewmasters... I'm not really sure, from what I've heard, they are really damn squishy when stunned, nimble brew might help with that. My monk is only 86, but any mob that stuns usually rips me apart.

So, I'd suggest Warrior(people know this is historically strongest) or Guardian. Remember, you might not always be FC though, so look at the dps specs too, as you will probably go dps for AB/Gilneas/EOTS.
    None of the survivability i use is based off vengance and i dont use sacred shield, theres a lot of pvp survivability actually, obviously haste helps but thats easy to reforge into

I just, don't see this occurring in practice at all. Ever. SoI/BH is terrible without vengeance, which you cannot get. SS (or EF if you choose) also scale poorly without vengeance, and we have little to no offensive utility. Sure, you can be a terrible nuisance with Avengers Shield silence and basically lock out a caster/healer, but you're hardly a threat and not very durable vs. magic. Mobility is limited and damage is poor. Self healing is low due to no vengeance AND the fact that BF scales it down further. You mentioned that none of the survival you use is based off of vengeance, so I'm not sure what you're referring to outside of GoAK/AD/DivProt on a 3/3/1min CD each. I've played Prot in RBGs, and you're essentially a nuisance and nothing more. Even so, if my opinions (and those of the others who posted here) are incorrect, the fact of the matter is that any paladin who is NOT holy this expansion has a stigma about them in the eyes of ranked PVP community. They're options, but they're picked last for dodgeball every time, since anyone can do their job better.

I appreciate the feedback, I suppose it's down to warrior or druid; warrior is in the lead at the moment, as I still think arms will be relatively potent post 5.2. I know feral has traditionally been the kings of mobility, but it seems that between double time, banner intervene/safegaurd, and H Leap that war's have quite decent claim to that title as well. However, with the avatar changes, would storm bolt be better for an FC warrior maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    I just, don't see this occurring in practice at all. Ever. SoI/BH is terrible without vengeance, which you cannot get. SS (or EF if you choose) also scale poorly without vengeance, and we have little to no offensive utility. Sure, you can be a terrible nuisance with Avengers Shield silence and basically lock out a caster/healer, but you're hardly a threat and not very durable vs. magic. Mobility is limited and damage is poor. Self healing is low due to no vengeance AND the fact that BF scales it down further. You mentioned that none of the survival you use is based off of vengeance, so I'm not sure what you're referring to outside of GoAK/AD/DivProt on a 3/3/1min CD each. I've played Prot in RBGs, and you're essentially a nuisance and nothing more. Even so, if my opinions (and those of the others who posted here) are incorrect, the fact of the matter is that any paladin who is NOT holy this expansion has a stigma about them in the eyes of ranked PVP community. They're options, but they're picked last for dodgeball every time, since anyone can do their job

I appreciate the feedback, I suppose it's down to warrior or druid; warrior is in the lead at the moment, as I still think arms will be relatively potent post 5.2. I know feral has traditionally been the kings of mobility, but it seems that between double time, banner intervene/safegaurd, and H Leap that war's have quite decent claim to that title as well. However, with the avatar changes, would storm bolt be better for an FC warrior maybe?
    Ill reply with what ive posted to someone else
    I fc'd to 2600 s9, was top 20 fc US, and led the #2 team on bg8(these arent to brag, just saying i have high end rbg exp, and am currently 2k, not that thats any good but for the supposed bottom of the barrel spec, thats not bad) people seem to think that this is still cata and nothing changed spec wise in mop. Prot paladin is so much more viable than people think( the only thing that GIMPED it in cata was the wog cd nerf, and people think spec sucks, duel me too show me on the most op classes, and cant get me below 50-60%)we have A LOT of damage reduction with our 3 cds and sotr mastery proc, vs caster heavy teams i spec unbreakable spirit and dont glyph divine protection, with all the wogs/sotr i use i have divine prot on a 40-45 sec cd, so 40% magic damage reduction intertwined with 45% physical reduction from sotr proc( which is about a 10-15 sec cd) avengers shield is 15 sec cd silence( too bad its not aoe anymore) without the cd reset, laotl gives u a speed buff crossing mid and helps to evade dps on u, soi/EF( which i dont use now but i prob will in 5.2) look like a mini second wind to me, theres other things to use defensively to ur advantage too( glyph where wings heal u, etc)
    Obviously if ur just gona reroll sure y would u go pally, but for those of us not rerolling, the spec is FAR from unviable
    Last edited by Sluggo; 2013-01-31 at 08:04 PM.

I'd pick Pwarrior, nothing quite as cool as busting out rallying cry and demoralizing banner and saving your healer friend with a fast safeguard or intervene or vigilance.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    None of the survivability i use is based off vengance and i dont use sacred shield, theres a lot of pvp survivability actually, obviously haste helps but thats easy to reforge into
    Whether you use Eternal Flame or Holy Prism or Light's Hammer or Sacred Shield or Flash of Light, they are all based off of Vengeance, self healing gets crapped on by lack of vengeance and Battle Fatigue.

Edit: It's not that the spec is unviable. You CAN use it, but you put yourself at a major disadvantage and 90% of RBG groups won't take him. Exactly what he's wanting is an RBG spot.
    Last edited by Valedus; 2013-01-31 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    Whether you use Eternal Flame or Holy Prism or Light's Hammer or Sacred Shield or Flash of Light, they are all based off of Vengeance, self healing gets crapped on by lack of vengeance and Battle Fatigue.

Edit: It's not that the spec is unviable. You CAN use it, but you put yourself at a major disadvantage and 90% of RBG groups won't take him. Exactly what he's wanting is an RBG spot.
    that and with blanked silince back in the game it bad again.

It will still be warriors and druids. The thing DK's and paladins lack as FC's is mobility/utility. For guarding a node I'd go with a warrior or druid any day. For carrying a flag i'd also go with warrior or druid.