Poll: As a man, do you get put off any physical contact with another man?

Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Are you man afraid to touch another man?

Ok before this gets scrutinized and locked outright, I want to make this clear, this is a general understand of the way guys think instead of being explicit in any way.

I was watching a youtube view on the subject of wrestling, not WWE but the real sport. On the subject, wrestlers have talked about how in modern culture, the issue they face is being negatively labeled for there sport, since it involves two men in closeness to each other fighting.

Now be honest, as men, are you someone who flinches at the idea of giving another man a hug, or even a pat on the back without needing to think twice about it? Is there an underlining fear involve in that kind of closeness to even another male friend?

Obviously speaking as a gay man I don't have this, but I do have a kind of empathy with other men who aren't gay, and think 'are they going to think is weird me giving them a hug?', to which I try and respect there boundry and give them a handshake.

Women don't have this issue, not to the level men have. I see women hugging each other being more opening friendly with each other, and with opposite sex all the time. Every time I see a girl friend she will often give me a hug.

Does this kind of thing stem from, as the video suggests, how a man will feel being seen as by others if he does anything more then shake another guys hand? And does something like wrestling freak them out at the thought of that kind of close contact with there own gender?

Anyway, thoughts on it, lets keep it clean too.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2013-02-01 at 01:49 AM.

No. I touch guys all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner_recall View Post
    No. I touch guys all the time.
    you mean you pat them on the back, hug them, what?

Remember "Gay Chicken" on Howard Stern?

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    you mean you pat them on the back, hug them, what?
    Shoulder rubs, neck rubs, thigh rubs, hugs, touching hands, etc. I'm comfortable enough in my sexuality to do that.

Uh, no. Is this what we've come to? Physical contact implying sexuality?
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am man and I touch man regularly. I hug man, I pat man on back, I touch man in many non-romantic/non-sexual ways. Man is my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    I can see who votes against that, and I can ban. Just saying.

Well I can't comment on this personally as I am female, but my boyfriend has no issues whatsoever being in close contact with other guys. He wrestled in high school, joined the military, and then a close quarters fight club. However, he is very comfortable with his sexuality and doesn't really care about other peoples opinions. I have observed that guys who are more of the "bro"/frat guy type are the ones who try not to touch each other except for fist bumps or high fives because they don't want their friends to make fun of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, when it comes to a good match of a tackle of wrestling, or just a plain jab to the face, I don't mind touching a man. When I first saw that title of this thread, I was more thinking in a inappropriate manner. But one shouldn't be as homophobic to fear contact with the same gender really. We don't mind a hug, pat, handshake or punch on the shoulder. That shouldn't be a problem, infact, should be the least of the problems we can get. To be honest, I fear a parking ticket more.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    I love giving people hugs.

I'm not gay. I'm just nice.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't speak as a man but I can share my observations. I guess?

Anywho, my gang of friends and I are pretty openly affectionate people but the guys tend to not do a lot of man on man contact. They're more into the high fives and hand shakes. On the other hand, us females have group hugs all the time and on an individual basis. We also hug the guys a decent amount.

The men of my family are a little more hug prone, but that might be that we/they only see one another on a few months basis as opposed to a one to two week basis.

I think the notion/observation is an interesting one to be sure. Will check back to see what more fellas say.

Deleted
    I have no problem at all to hug a male. Why would that be gay?

if a man wants to be touchy feely with another man he's gay. when it comes to football, wrestling, grappling, etc, in context that has nothing to do with touchy feely but physical dominance

if a guy comes up and hugs me i'm going to whip his ass. i don't want him to hug me. no doubt in my mind he's getting a hard on when he does it because normal straight guys don't hug other normal straight guys. now i'm sure europeans are all about some man on man love but they're not the ideal men either. a real man can hunt, fish, replace a timing belt and fight. those types of men don't hug other men

i personally don't even think men who dance are very manly either. i don't dance or hug and i don't want a woman who lifts

Deleted
    During wrestling or just goofing around with a guy i think it wouldn't really be on my mind that its wrong.
    The video does look a bit silly though Especially 2:43

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    Uh, no. Is this what we've come to? Physical contact implying sexuality?
    Well if you stroke a guys butt as a guy, A lot of people will start implying things. So i'd say yes. But wether thats true is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    if a man wants to be touchy feely with another man he's gay. when it comes to football, wrestling, grappling, etc, in context that has nothing to do with touchy feely but physical dominance

if a guy comes up and hugs me i'm going to whip his ass. i don't want him to hug me. no doubt in my mind he's getting a hard on when he does it because normal straight guys don't hug other normal straight guys. now i'm sure europeans are all about some man on man love but they're not the ideal men either. a real man can hunt, fish, replace a timing belt and fight. those types of men don't hug other men
    Sounds to me like someone isn't secure in his sexuality.

10+ Year Old Account
    My older brother is one of the kind of frat boy now in his adulthood guys, with two kids and a wife, yet the only time he's ever given me a brotherly hug was when he was drunk and off his head.

Now my cousin, when he visited the family with his daughter and wife, he is never afraid to give me a hug anymore then my mum.

This is what interests me, in the kind of guy and how some think outside the box while others think only inside it.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post

i personally don't even think men who dance are very manly either. i don't dance or hug and i don't want a woman who lifts
    So if a friend you haven't seen for a few years gives you a hug, he's gay?

I wouldnt say afraid, but i avoid physical contact with others of either gender as much as possible. Handshakes are okay but anything other than that makes me very uncomfortable. The less i know the person the worse it gets.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I give my guy friends really awkward hugs. That doesn't mean I want to roll all over another mans sweaty body ( wrestling is really weird IMO) but I have no problem with physical contact otherwise. I've even given one of my buddies a "lap dance (fully clothed)" for his birthday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Remember "Gay Chicken" on Howard Stern?
    LOL I DO!!!

I don't get scared or paranoid when another dude touches me nor am I afraid to touch another guy (hugging, pats on the back, roughhousing,wrestling etc) I think that guys do aren't secure with their own sexuality and are just plain immature.
    Last edited by Fitzgerald77; 2013-02-01 at 02:01 AM.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3