10+ Year Old Account

Angry Strafing and you (WTH?)

Anyone else having a problem with abilities that make you get behind your target when the target is strafing? I'm right on top of the player it seems and I get the "You must be behind the target" error, it seems strafing makes them invincible from an ambush!

Deleted
    You sort of need to strafechase them to make it work. It takes an extra effort I admit, but it's not impossible by any stretch.

Deleted
    You can't really expect a good player to stay calm with his back turned to you during shadow dance. You must control the target so you don't waste your burst CDs.

Here are a couple of things you can do:
    - Shiv with paralytic poison roots them
    - It's better to use dance during a full kidney and not while they are in control of their character
    - If you are trying to ambush during shadow dance, but they strafe, use cheap shot to stun them and then ambush
    - Lastly, if you have the talent, use free gouges to get behind the target safely.

It's up to experience really, I had similar troubles as you when I started PVPing on my rouge, and it feels much better by now, and I'm sure it will only get better.

The positional requirement are something that all classes have - abilities will always land if you're behind your target in pvp independently from the class.

You don't want your kidney be dodged/parried.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Anyone else having a problem with abilities that make you get behind your target when the target is strafing? I'm right on top of the player it seems and I get the "You must be behind the target" error, it seems strafing makes them invincible from an ambush!
    Aside from lag, the basic mechanic you're running into is that you can parry (front-face) 180 degrees in front of where you're FACING. Running sideways doesn't change where you're facing... hence tanks can run ~170 degrees away from a boss without getting their faces pounded in during PvE. Where you actually want to be is not directly behind their apparent back, but behind the direction they're facing (right-mouse-facing direction). Not that I can tell you how to check that :P MOAR JUMPING AROUND!

Well big question is, do you strafe all the time with your toon? I don't think i've had an issue with not being behind them due to them strafing....