Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

New Builder - Questions

Hello Champions,

Well I will soon be getting back from my Deployment, and am wanting to start my first ever build. My question for you guys is since I haven't ever done a build on my own. I was wanting some opinions on anything from Cases to cooling. Money really isn't a problem as of right now but I am wanting a build that is to complex for my first time.

Thanks, Fancy

You want the build to be complex?

Either try to fit as much stuff in a Mini-ITX case or go for water cooling then.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Guessing it was meant to be not too complex...

If money is not too big problem you should start from the gaming 1700 build and depending on what you want to do with the computer and what you think of the budget we might be able to give some reasonable suggestions.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well I want the build to be some what some what complex. But yet again it is my first build. I really do want to try water cooling, but is there a certain case or anything else I need to try with it.

Quote Originally Posted by FancyTheWarrior View Post
    I really do want to try water cooling, but is there a certain case or anything else I need to try with it.
    Toy water coolers like Corsair H100 does not really improve performance at all compared to good quality air coolers, it's a sidegrade, not upgrade.

Proper DIY watercooling will cost around $500 for processor only and over $1k if you want to do graphics card(s) as well, and it will need maintenance few times per year, but clearly less than older car. You can go totally wild with water cooling and mod a normal case with a dremel and hacksaw to fit everything in, or buy a case specifically meant for it. Performance gain per $ is really bad in those systems, mainly people do it for the fun of building and to show off. There are forums dedicated to that stuff if you want to go that way. If you're thinking about extreme overclocking, watercooling isn't extreme enough
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Toy water coolers like Corsair H100 does not really improve performance at all compared to good quality air coolers, it's a sidegrade, not upgrade.
    Tell that to my i7 OC'd to 4.8GHz running at full load around 50C using an H100

Perhaps you could start with just building a computer and then later on if you want to go further you could get one of EKs water kits?

If this is something you would like to do then you need to start by looking at a case that can fit a 240 or 360mm radiator.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Proper DIY watercooling will cost around $500 for processor only and over $1k if you want to do graphics card(s) as well, and it will need maintenance few times per year, but clearly less than older car. You can go totally wild with water cooling and mod a normal case with a dremel and hacksaw to fit everything in, or buy a case specifically meant for it. Performance gain per $ is really bad in those systems, mainly people do it for the fun of building and to show off. There are forums dedicated to that stuff if you want to go that way. If you're thinking about extreme overclocking, watercooling isn't extreme enough
    Since ill be coming back form my deployment money really isn't that big of a problem(already paid my bills and am single) and I really want to get into computer tech(started online classes while I was over here) but I want some what of a challenge and I have seen some peoples builds on here and I really love the water cooling affect. I looked at the link you posted, and am curious is there any of cases, that are well suited for Water cooling that people have had good experience with

Quote Originally Posted by ironik View Post
    Tell that to my i7 OC'd to 4.8GHz running at full load around 50C using an H100
    Yeah, H100 is in theory pretty damn effective if you crank it to max speed, but it's also noisy as hell. With 2C difference compared to high end air coolers like Noctua's C14/D14 (who the fuck gives a damn anyway about 50C vs 52C when you can run i7 safely still at 90C) it's not worth double price and 15db higher noise. And if you run the H100 at low fan speed it performs worse than best air coolers... So there...

http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...id=2665&page=7
    Trolling should be.

Proper DIY watercooling will cost around $500 for processor only and over $1k if you want to do graphics card(s) as well, and it will need maintenance few times per year, but clearly less than older car.
    What? You can grab the Raystorm 750 RS240 for ~$150, drop in a $100 GPU block and call it a day.

It doesn't cost $500 unless you're buying super premium, super overkill stuff.

Since ill be coming back form my deployment money really isn't that big of a problem(already paid my bills and am single) and I really want to get into computer tech(started online classes while I was over here) but I want some what of a challenge and I have seen some peoples builds on here and I really love the water cooling affect. I looked at the link you posted, and am curious is there any of cases, that are well suited for Water cooling that people have had good experience with
    Tiny Tom Logan at http://www.youtube.com/user/TimeToLiveCustoms does a lot of case reviews and in them he almost always talk about the water cooling aspect, if you have some time over perhaps you can look through those.

You also have this http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...4-Case-Catalog but it is slightly outdated and doesn't mention anything about water cooling.

Performance gain per $ is really bad in those systems, mainly people do it for the fun of building and to show off.
    Performance gain isn't great for the money spent, but its not 'that' bad if you go entry level custom loop.

While custom loops are somewhat cost prohibitive, the major draw include: temperatures, noise and aesthetics.

Check out this guy's experiences with a ~$250 custom loop:

$160 XSPC Raystrom RS 360 This is my current setup. It's the quietest combo I've ever used and it can keep a 1.6v FX 8350 at 5.2ghz (only for benchmarking, not 24/7) under 62c along with a 1.2v, 1230mhz GPU 5600mhz VRAM 7970.

For $90 you can get a good water block for your GPU and have a nearly dead silent computer. The only thing I listen to is coil whine and case fans now, it's amazing.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-02-01 at 12:46 PM.

Yeah, H100 is in theory pretty damn effective if you crank it to max speed, but it's also noisy as hell. With 2C difference compared to high end air coolers like Noctua's C14/D14 (who the fuck gives a damn anyway about 50C vs 52C when you can run i7 safely still at 90C) it's not worth double price and 15db higher noise. And if you run the H100 at low fan speed it performs worse than best air coolers... So there...

http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...id=2665&page=7
    Just gonna add to this, TTL did a test yesterday and the NH-D14 beat the H100. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-NQV...oTYTeg&index=1

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was just talking with my uncle and he can give me his Alienware Aurora case if I wanted it.. any of you guys have experience with this case.. as far as what it is capable of

Deleted
    Depending on when you are building, you can also get this one

http://www.swiftech.com/H220.aspx

It has enough power to also include a GPU. Saw a vid where it was cooling a 3960x and 2x 7970s with 3 radiators in the loop. I think temps were around 50-60 degrees.
    I guess they also added an extra reservoir somewhere :P

Building a computer for the first time is already complex/difficult enough without worrying about making a "complex build." Just focus on getting the right stuff, installing the CPU correctly, aftermarket cooler, etc. When you start it up for the first time and it doesn't go "poof" then pat yourself on the back.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Building a computer for the first time is already complex/difficult enough without worrying about making a "complex build." Just focus on getting the right stuff, installing the CPU correctly, aftermarket cooler, etc. When you start it up for the first time and it doesn't go "poof" then pat yourself on the back.
    Well what I am worried about for that is if and when I get done with the build and I want to upgrade it I don't want to have to buy all new stuff.[COLOR="red"]

Well what I am worried about for that is if and when I get done with the build and I want to upgrade it I don't want to have to buy all new stuff.[COLOR="red"]
    I've got the same problem, thankfully my motherboard/CPU are good enough to not really need to be upgraded yet (i7-920), so the easy pci stuff is all I need to think about. Would like to upgrade my 6gb RAM and evga PhysX GPU sometime. Gonna be deploying myself shortly so I might do the same as you.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    I've got the same problem, thankfully my motherboard/CPU are good enough to not really need to be upgraded yet (i7-920), so the easy pci stuff is all I need to think about. Would like to upgrade my 6gb RAM and evga PhysX GPU sometime. Gonna be deploying myself shortly so I might do the same as you.
    how are i7-930's I would be using it for gaming like WoW,BF3,CoD

how are i7-930's I would be using it for gaming like WoW,BF3,CoD
    i7-930 is 2 generations old, soon to be 3. That is not something you would want to buy now.