Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Using the OP's example it would be impossible to intentionally change history, but it could be un-intentionally changed without creating either a paradox or causality loop.

Anyway, even if time travel were possible I believe it should be prohibited under pain of death; It's far too dangerous.
    I agree, its a free to power tool for any purpose

Why have we never seen anyone from the future? Because you cannot go back in time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Time dilation is a means of altering time, and is a real thing. The closer you get to light speed relative to everything else, the more the speed of time for everything else seems to speed up. So if you could get in a spacecraft in a stable orbit around say a black hole, moving near light speed, you could watch centuries or millennia on Earth go by.
    yeah going forward in time is in theory completely possible given the means, but we're to focus on going back in time

Going forward in time is not even time traveling, it's simply just "freezing" yourself or slowing down time so that less time has passed for yourself , so you basically end up in the future

Deleted
    You can not go forward or back in time because it does not exist. It's simply a manmade construct.

You as a human are constrained by the universe you are in and the observable laws it contains.

You yourself could not go back to a different point in the lifespan of the universe but perhaps if there was someway to move the universe itself or step outside it then maybe you're getting somewhere but still a long way from what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    This thread is going to be incomprehensible inside 3 pages, guarantee it.
    hedpiubsidgbousvdov4pyvpifdbvyhfdbåp

Sorry, I had to.

---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 06:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bokor View Post
    You can not go forward or back in time because it does not exist. It's simply a manmade construct.

You as a human are constrained by the universe you are in and the observable laws it contains.

You yourself could not go back to a different point in the lifespan of the universe but perhaps if there was someway to move the universe itself or step outside it then maybe you're getting somewhere but still a long way from what you want.
    You can make time pass slower for yourself with time dilation. All within the laws of the universe, and there's evidence to show that it's possible.

Time is just the name we use as a tl;dr for the law of thermodynamics.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    I alter time constantly, and you can't prove that I dont!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I alter time constantly, and you can't prove that I dont!
    as crazy as it may sound, yes you could
    Last edited by mmoc6a5006fb71; 2013-02-01 at 05:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should probably take a peek at Sean Carroll's Rules for Time Travelers. (And if you have an hour to kill, there's an in-depth lecture which explains it all in detail.)

While we're on the subject of time travel, john titor http://www.johntitor.strategicbrains.com/ is probably the most convincing one to date that I know of.

We don't yet know nearly enough about the complexity of time to assume it wouldn't be possible traveling in time. I don't see a problem traveling forward in time, however traveling backward in time seems disputable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    what if you go back in time, save your loved one, than go to your past self and tell him that on X day he has to go back in time and save his loved one?
    Why would you have to save her again?

Timelines is such a cheap explanation to a real paradox, doubt the universe will create a whole new universe simply because you spit that gum on a different place.
    Either way, even by those standards yes, it is impossible to change anything as you alter a different one and maybe return to a different one, the original you were trying to change is unchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Timelines is such a cheap explanation to a real paradox, doubt the universe will create a whole new universe simply because you spit that gum on a different place.
    Either way, even by those standards yes, it is impossible to change anything as you alter a different one and maybe return to a different one, the original you were trying to change is unchanged.
    if you truly understood the multiverse theory, along with the different levels of it, you would know that a different world isn't created because time travel happened. it continues to exist and branch out infinitely for every possible difference.

Deleted
    I just simply don't believe time travel will ever exist. Call me ignorant but the way I see it, time isn't something that can be altered in any way, rewound or sped up.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrias-Oaks View Post
    if you truly understood the multiverse theory, along with the different levels of it, you would know that a different world isn't created because time travel happened. it continues to exist and branch out infinitely for every possible difference.
    There are different theories and even that one is a cheap way to deal with paradoxes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinni View Post
    I just simply don't believe time travel will ever exist. Call me ignorant but the way I see it, time isn't something that can be altered in any way, rewound or sped up.
    Time is already not constant everywhere in the universe.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

except the part "future time travel" already exists, and has been proven. it's going backwards that's the problem.

Can be slown down by in my view it has to do with atomic interaction that slow down entropy, not an actual fabric of time...
    That is not just an idea, it does happen and you have to account for that with gps satelites, there is a time difference.

But i too share the idea that one cannot travel in time, specially backwards

If them dying was the reason you made the time machine to go in time and stop them from dying, then yes, there is a paradox, since if they never died you would never have made the time machine.

If time travel already existed through some other means, you could go back and stop them from dying, which created a new time line in which they survive, and the old time line where they died never happens.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.