Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love Football (American Football). It's the team spirit of things, and Football is the ultimate team sport. I rep my professional home team (Washington Redskins), season ticket-holder, all that business. If you watch enough Football, and start to understand the games, you can see how well the good teams flow like water, and the rest choke on key parts. I know I'm likely not going to convince you to watch, but I strongly suggest it. Insane things can happen (The Immaculate Reception)

On your point of loyalty and team-swapping, that's a lot more common nowadays than in the past. Previously, a player was drafted and pretty much stuck with that team until they retired.

It's just a personal thing, some like them, some don't. I find watching sports incredibly boring personally, just like I wouldn't wanna sit around watching other people play WoW(which I play and enjoy greatly), I have no interest in sitting around watching a bunch of people hitting/kicking/throwing a ball, driving/riding a car/horse around a track, or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is hard to be a "hardcore" fan without having played the sport. That being said I have never played professional baseball or football but I would consider myself a "hardcore" fan of both. One aspect is you are a (small) part of something immensely bigger than yourself. It is fun to be with many other people with a similar cause (your team winning).

Deleted
    if you think the way you do,you could call pretty much everything odd,pointless or of little value

one could say: 'i don't understand the point of movies or videogames,it's some pixels in the glass why do you care?'
    or:'i don't see the point of reading books,it's just some words in the paper,why do you care?'

in fact anything that is highly competitive and/or emotionally intense will find someone who is interested in it,why?
    watching the best in the world compete is interesting no matter what that is,in fact the best videogamers would be pretty low on the interest department if compared to athletes because they develop skills that don't have any practical use,in a fictional setting with 0 impact on the real world etc...

15+ Year Old Account
    When I were young I played tennis, handball, street basket, some golf. Never watched any sports on tv etc.
    Now I'm older and I dont play anything and I watch alot

I agree with
    My biggest reason is because there really isn't much stake in hand.
    but not for the same reason as you do but more like every league have useless teams everyone know wont make it into play offs so it is kinda dull.

Right now, I just woke up at 12:30 zulu time after going to bed 4 hours earlier. I had to turn my day rythm around over here in Europe cos tomorrow night IT IS SUPER BOWL
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair point about the poker stars going home with nothing, but it's entertaining to watch at the end of the day. Some players really do put everything into it and you can see they're disappointed when they lose, more so when it's the world cup or something similar, that's what I love to watch.

I suggest watching the rugby six nations which kicks off today, it's badass and all the teams want to win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    Another thing that bothers me are team-switching. I find it strange a player can be playing for the Lakers, competing against one of their rivals, the Celtics, but eventually one of the Lakers transferring to the Celtics. I don't feel like there's any authentic team spirit or patriotism at all when this stuff happens. Or when your team isn't playing in the super bowl, so you root for another team that could have possibly been a rival to your favorite team. To me a team should be like a loyal band. Once a band member drops, the whole team isn't the same and should be disbanded or giving a new name/color theme.
    I wanna bite on that part....
    This is an American phenomenon only. And as European it has always bugged me how entire teams can switch colors from one moment to the other.
    Today it's the Denver Broncos tomorrow it's the New England Patriots.. What also disturbs me is that they are not called clubs. They are called a franchise.
    Everything revolving the sport itself is named and functions pure business only. This does, and I agree with you wholeheartedly, push the meaning of the sport as what it is into the background. I am not used to this handling, nor will I ever get used to it.
    In Europe we are football (soccer) crazy. And there it's literally unthinkable for such thing as complete roster transfers to happen. By the rules of the game tansfers can only happen during the break time outside the seasons between the seasons, and once more during the winter break for a few weeks. And where it would be theoretically possible for club buying an entire roster from another club, it simply won't happen. We don't have to worry that the team from FC Barcelona in all of a sudden turns into Real Madrid, or Chelsea London becomes Arsenal London from one moment to the next. The fans would not tolerate that.
    In the fact of the matter, all across Europe there's a huge opposition against commercialization of the sport on all levels. The fans of some countries fighting tooth to nails to have commerce taking over the sport. It may surprise an American, when you learn that the fans threaten their teams with support refusal if the stadium where the games happen gets a commercial name the fans despise, as it happens in Germany for example.
    All in all, it's really in the hands of the fans what happens with a sport. Without the fans..... no club, or franchise can exist.
    For us Europeans sport has a LOT to do with tradition. For the most part we are born with the gene of our home teams.
    It's btw a reason why American Football has never really succeeded in Europe. The fans refuse any sport where commerce is more important than the sport itself.

Deleted
    To not sound rude, I always see football (Soccer to you Americans out there) as just kicking a piece of leather with air inside it. Completely and utterly boring to me :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Except the Super Bowl and the World Cup, both of which I'll watch because they're major cultural events.
    What has society come to when bullshit like this are considered "major cultural events".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    What has society come to when bullshit like this are considered "major cultural events".
    Just because you don't like sports doesn't mean you have to be extremely ignorant and insulting about it..

Society maintains it's admiration for sports. We have sports since the ancient times already..

Mens sana in corpore sano....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    Games and sport are as old as religion...
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Fair point about the poker stars going home with nothing
    Yeah, but is it really so?
    The stars likely get a flat salary to compete, then they get a stash of money to play with and the winner takes it all. Leaving the losers with their starter salary..

Quote Originally Posted by Sarthan View Post
    Watch College football then bro, so much at stake. I played for a division 2 college and it was pretty intense.
    Do you even lift bro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seani View Post
    Do you even lift bro.
    I do, tons amounts of women..

Deleted
    Me neither.
    Besides motorcycling at most, there really isn't a single sport that I find even remotely interesting - and just watching it makes it even worse.
    It's so boring.

Sport is something boring that boring people try to convince each other is something interesting. I had 2 classmates say that only running, swimming and stuff like that were sports, but motosports where you drive 300km/h where people can actually die isn't a sport. Swimming, seriously... I mean football is boring and repetitive to watch but swimming? Makes me shiver just thinking about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

The worst part of club-sports, like soccer is that the biggest clubs with the most money, and upper rich guy supporting the club to a point where he owes it, can buy the best players. Nothing about talent-making, team-building etc, pure money...I will never understand why Soccor is so big for club's...the salleries even that not succesfull soccer players get are fucking retarded....they suck thoes players, will never get known international much, yet they get as much pay as someone with a good eduaction and high paying job.

I however can enjoy World championship sports abit.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't that what the playoffs are about? As for the Superbowl, if my team isn't in it, I couldn't care less about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Yeah, but is it really so?
    The stars likely get a flat salary to compete, then they get a stash of money to play with and the winner takes it all. Leaving the losers with their starter salary..
    Well, I don't know. That's what I actually thought and it's what this guy said. If they go get a salary then it's obviously similar to footballers who get paid anyway but it's not really in the same league since they won't get anywhere near the same amount.

One thing I've got to agree with the OP on is the team switching. The NBA in particular has taken a huge hit in integrity. The days of guys like MJ who stuck with the same team almost their whole career are gone.

The NBA works likes this: when stars come into the league they usually start on bad (relatively) small market teams like Lebron in Cleveland, Dwight Howard with Orlando, Deron Williams with Utah, Chris Paul to New Orleans, Carmelo in New York, Amare Stoudemire in Phoenix. They play until their contract is up then everyone flocks to New York/LA/Miami.

The last few years have been a pathetic arms race of stars flocking to NY/Brooklyn, LA Clippers and LA Lakers and Miami. Watching Lebron win a championship didn't even feel redeeming or accomplishing. He took the easy way out.

Have some pride, if you think you're so great carry YOUR team to a championship. Expecting others to carry you to a champship is the exact opposite of a champ. Lebron is and never will be MJ.