Poll: Which JRPGs are you looking forward to in 2013?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I would never ever play one of these terrible asia-games.

Infracted
    Last edited by Remilia; 2013-02-02 at 08:47 PM.

Deleted
    I voted for FF13-3 and the next Neptunia title

I enjoyed the past two neptunias, and as for the FF13 series... well, it's just curiosity on my part if they will manage to not not fuck this up. And if I manage to clear it twice in one week too, just like 13-2 <__<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by narzinor View Post
    yeah, no one cares that you're a fan. Wikipedia said its an ARPG so its an ARPG. Wikipedia never lies.
    Uh-huh, explain to me how a game with no story is a role playing game? Oh wait, you can't, because you have no idea what you're talking about.

And because I don't want to derail this thread anymore, here's my response to your inevitable reply: Would you also classify games like Call of Duty, Soul Calibur, etc as RPG cause they have a single player campaign?

It's an action adventure, end of story.

Ok bye.
    Last edited by Arkenaw; 2013-02-02 at 09:35 AM.

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ehh, I'm not really getting any JRPGs as of late. Still waiting for that goddamned FF Versus XIII! I mean come on, do they seriously need to make three FF XIII games? I didn't even like the first one.

I mean come on, they could at least say SOMETHING about Versus XIII! They haven't said anything about it since like 2 years ago when they released their last trailer. Makes me kinda sad. I'm just gonna cross my fingers that it'll show up at Tokyo Game Show, if not E3.

Deleted
    JRPG and ARPG are not mutually exclusive, so it might be a JARPG? Also, the RPG part has to do with character advancement and does not require a storyline whatsoever

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Uh-huh, explain to me how a game with no story is a role playing game? Oh wait, you can't, because you have no idea what you're talking about.
    It was mostly just a joke, but since you asked...

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia again
    A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game[1][2]) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting.
    A story does not need to be present per se, but it does help. In your case, you are role playing a monster hunter.

EDIT: awww Sahugani beat me to it
    Last edited by narzinor; 2013-02-02 at 09:37 AM. Reason: got pwnd.
    I had a cool sig... then photobucket ate my pics and now its borked. :/ oh wells...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by narzinor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia again
    A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game[1][2]) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting.
    Personally, I think this definition is a bit too general already because in many games that aren't classified as RPG you "assume the role of a character in a fictional setting". So, for my personal definition, I add the character advancement (as in leveling) to my RPG requirements. Also, there is fully fledged RPGs and games "with RPG elements". C&C Generals would be among the latter, since it had a very simple and very limited leveling system that DIDN'T make it an RPG

Also, I just noticed this entire post was OT, please don't hit me =(

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shininglight View Post
    You're right about FFXIII, I really don't think they need a third. I don't see why they don't just start new with FFXV which they probably are. I'm really looking forward to the new reboot of FFXIV though
    Yeah i wasnt really expecting a 3rd when i finished ff13-2, i was expecting a large dlc or something. Still final fantasys take forever to make so if they can pump out sequels to the main titles every year then i guess its not so bad. Im sure 13 took like 6 years to make . But yeah im guessing 15 will have the story and concept art etc finalised by now and will have just started development when they got the ps4/720 development kit.

But yeah id wish theyd just finish versus 13, or announce KH 3.

Also ive heard people say good things about tales games before so il have to check them out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shininglight View Post
    You do realize the J in JRPG stands for Japanese RPG, right? It doesn't mean a certain element of a gaming genre. It's any RPG originated from Japan.
    You do realize being made in Japan doesn't mean the game is JRPG, right? It DOES mean a certain element of a gaming genre. It's not any RPG originated from Japan.

JRPGs de facto branched into a separate genre when they all started sharing the same signature mechanics, like being party based, using ATB combat system, global and dungeon maps both featuring random encounters etc.
    And no, surprisingly(!), a wikipedia article isn't the highest authority on any subject.

Anyway, I'm not gonna argue with you on this topic anymore, if you don't realize this by yourself yet.

So, to stay on topic, I am indeed excited for Dark Souls 2, but at the same time worried by the new directors promises to make the game "more accessible".
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Deleted
    Tales, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, Pokemon, FF14 Realm Reborn, Lightning Returns, Phantasy Star Online 2, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Dark Souls 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    You do realize being made in Japan doesn't mean the game is JRPG, right? It DOES mean a certain element of a gaming genre. It's not any RPG originated from Japan.

JRPGs de facto branched into a separate genre when they all started sharing the same signature mechanics, like being party based, using ATB combat system, global and dungeon maps both featuring random encounters etc.
    And no, surprisingly(!), a wikipedia article isn't the highest authority on any subject.

Anyway, I'm not gonna argue with you on this topic anymore, if you don't realize this by yourself yet.

So, to stay on topic, I am indeed excited for Dark Souls 2, but at the same time worried by the new directors promises to make the game "more accessible".
    AHA! Here's one last source of information to prove my stand point! http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...g-in-2013.aspx

And they list...DARK SOULS 2!

---------- Post added 2013-02-02 at 08:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Duranox View Post
    Tales, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, Pokemon, FF14 Realm Reborn, Lightning Returns, Phantasy Star Online 2, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Dark Souls 2
    Hope you have a heavy wallet
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

Dark Souls 2 seems like a bit of an oddity in the JRPG category, as I'd consider it more of an action game, with some RPG elements, but nonetheless, I chose that and FFXIV.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Dark Souls 2 seems like a bit of an oddity in the JRPG category, as I'd consider it more of an action game, with some RPG elements, but nonetheless, I chose that and FFXIV.
    Yeah it was already debated I researched and they DO consider it an RPG. Nonetheless a JRPG. But eh, it's there lol
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

I just love the people who come into topics like this just to bitch about what games fall under the genre.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post

Ys is absolutely a JRPG and has none of that, except a party, which was only introduced in Ys Seven. So those requirements are clearly a load of bull :P

Anyway, on topic: Tales of Xillia, Ni No Kuni (Don't care it's already out, I don't have it yet thanks to screw-up suppliers and still looking forward to it), FFXIII-3, Ys Celceta.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Ys is absolutely a JRPG and has none of that, except a party, which was only introduced in Ys Seven. So those requirements are clearly a load of bull :P

Anyway, on topic: Tales of Xillia, Ni No Kuni (Don't care it's already out, I don't have it yet thanks to screw-up suppliers and still looking forward to it), FFXIII-3, Ys Celceta.
    Oooo that's a very good example! I loved Ys! You can add Ni No Kuni to the list Those are all great games you listed!

---------- Post added 2013-02-02 at 12:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    I just love the people who come into topics like this just to bitch about what games fall under the genre.
    Yeah, it's okay though It really doesn't matter too much to me. There'll be people that will debate whether a certain brand of milk has 2% fat or 3% fat. And others will join in saying there's no fat at all.

I am super hyped over Fire Emblem right now. It's a strategy RPG rather than just straight JRPG, but the game looks absolutely fantastic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeash I really need to pick up a PS3, seems that the Xbox360 just doesn't bother with JRPG's anymore of that whole list the only ones on the 360 are Lightning Returns and DS2...

That said, I'm most excited about Lightning Returns so I guess I'm ok
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Yeash I really need to pick up a PS3, seems that the Xbox360 just doesn't bother with JRPG's anymore of that whole list the only ones on the 360 are Lightning Returns and DS2...

That said, I'm most excited about Lightning Returns so I guess I'm ok
    Yeah The only game that was JRPG that I played on the 360 was FFXIII and Tales of Vesperia. The 360 doesn't serve well for the RPGs that I want to play :/ Had to move over to the PS3

10+ Year Old Account
    There were some great ones very early on in the generation, Last Remnant, Lost Odyssey etc, but then it trailed off and we only got ARPG's, FPS and sports games. I would pick up a PS3, but seems a bit pointless now, with the PS4 coming out fairly soon.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30